Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question opti-bond tire gel

ordered this on my big 20% order (waiting to be shipped) on the 29th. heard good things about this tire gel. will be using the carrand tire dressing brush. what can i expect? will be using this after my DP dressing is finished.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: opti-bond tire gel

Optibond is currently my go-to tire dressing. I picked up some of this from a member trade and i have been very pleased with it. i also have the carrand tire dressing brushes that you ordered.

here`s my $.0.02 on each of these:
    I have used optibond straight and 1:1 out of a spray bottle and for me it works best straight up. I have applied this with both the tire dressing brush you purchased and a foam applicator pad picked up at local auto store.

Looks: One coat of optibond, unless applied quite liberally, seems to yield a nice matte, or very slight gloss look. I have tried two coats and it looks glossier but I prefer the gloss high gloss look of other products over two coats of OB.
    *from my experience with ob, it looks much better on tires that have smooth sidewalls instead of once with lots of little ridges on them-hopefully that makes sense to everyone.
    I love the look it gives the michelins on my frontier (which have mostly a smooth sidewall)

When using it on tires with ridges that carrand brush will come in handy because of all the bristles but the watery consistency of OB does not seem to work for me as well with this brush as something like pinnacle black onxy gel (which is my personal favorite)
    I have had overall better results applying OB with the cheap little yellow/black foam tire applicator pads you get in a two pack from walmart or autozone.
    Dont get me wrong the carrand brushes are pretty good I just like to use a thicker tire gel with them. If you dont apply too much OB on the brush you shoudn`t have a problem and the brush definitely does help to get inside the little ridges on most tires.

I have only seen one incidence when OB actually slung onto a vehicle I had used it on. The tires were bfg all terrain tires (that are completely unnecessary for where we live here in central tx) and even after sitting on the tires in midday light for over 30 minutes it slung a few tiny little dots but I am going to chalk that one up to user error on applicatoin by myself. I tried to get too much coverage.

OB works pretty good on fender wells, I have directly applied it to a couple with a foam paint brush, I tried to spray it 1:1 but liked the control of the foam brush more.

Durability: I have personally seen over two weeks of nice matte look on my frontier`s tires and it sits outside 24/7. I can even wash my truck a couple times (ONR) and if i dont use apc on the tires OB sheds the water right off and looks almost as good as day1.

Would I purchase this stuff again, Yes. But i think I have enough to last quite a while (still well over 1/2 gal). I transfered it to the 2 oz travel bottles with pump on them and one 2oz bottle will put one good coat on I`d say at least 10-15 vehicles depending on tire size, probably more acually. I put three little dimes per tire on normal size tires and that works fine with the foam tire applicator i use. I found myself using more OB with the carrand brush.

sorry for the exhaustive response but it`s new years and I have the day off and football has not started yet

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

would there be a issue using a SPRAY BOTTLE to apply 1:1?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    would there be a issue using a SPRAY BOTTLE to apply 1:1?
    i did not prefer the consistency of it 1:1 for tires but wheel wells it was okay just a little liquidy

i will see if i can get some pictures of using it that way posted here by later this afternoon. its so nice outside but a little windy. i put it in an old prima hydro wax as you dry bottle because it had the two different spray settings on it

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use it undiluted. I use a brush applicator for initial application to get the dressing into the grooves of the sidewall, and then smooth it out with a foam applicator afterwards. I allow the dressing to dry/soak into the tire for a while (30 min or so) and then apply a 2nd coat and allow it to dry/even out as well. If there is excess product on the surface after 30 minutes or so, I will then lightly remove it with a MF towel.

Here are some pictures:

This has been my go to tire dressing for a while now. It looks great, and you use very little product. I`ve been using the same 32 oz. bottle for over a year now... that includes my own cars as well as customer cars.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

wow those blue tinted wheels are sweet

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

1:1, stronger and it imparts the right wetness/durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I apply it with a foam applicator and never had any issues. It is not runny but I would not define it as gel (meaning very viscous).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

umm. sounds like a interesting product. i`ll post my results when i get to use it. sounds like straight up is the way to go. applied with a brush and/or foam applicator.

i was going to order my regular DP gel. (impressive) but wanted to try something different.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I also use it undiluted. I use a brush applicator for initial application to get the dressing into the grooves of the sidewall, and then smooth it out with a foam applicator afterwards. I allow the dressing to dry/soak into the tire for a while (30 min or so) and then apply a 2nd coat and allow it to dry/even out as well. If there is excess product on the surface after 30 minutes or so, I will then lightly remove it with a MF towel.

Here are some pictures:

This has been my go to tire dressing for a while now. It looks great, and you use very little product. I`ve been using the same 32 oz. bottle for over a year now... that includes my own cars as well as customer cars.
    Great pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post

Here are some pictures:

Great pictures

Post Thanks / Like

I hate opti-bond. I have been using it for a only a month now but I`m ready to toss it out the window. Some of the things I don`t like about it are: does not go in to the ridges of the tire, on smooth parts of the tire the coverage is spotty, it requires a lot of product to get coverage, the initial look is great but goes down hill within 2 days, and slings if you have to drive the vehicle shortly after driving.

Luckily I got it pretty cheap with free shipping during Black Friday so I`m not out of pocket much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txb4z View Post
    I hate opti-bond. I have been using it for a only a month now but I`m ready to toss it out the window. Some of the things I don`t like about it are: does not go in to the ridges of the tire, on smooth parts of the tire the coverage is spotty, it requires a lot of product to get coverage, the initial look is great but goes down hill within 2 days, and slings if you have to drive the vehicle shortly after driving.

Luckily I got it pretty cheap with free shipping during Black Friday so I`m not out of pocket much.
    Seems like you`re using it incorrectly...

As you can see from the photos I posted, it can in fact get into the grooves/ridges very nicely and it leaves a nice uniform finish on all tires. I have had Opti-Bond last around 2 weeks in good weather on my personal car and have never experienced slinging issues.

Here are some tips:

- Your tire must be very clean and completely dry for best results. A dirty tire, or tire with other dressing may lead to a non-uniform appearance and poor durability.

- If your rubber is dry (ie not nourished) then it may soak up the dressing, leaving a non-uniform appearance. You may require a few heavy applications to nourish the rubber before you notice better appearance and durability.

- Apply with a brush type applicator to work the product into the ridges, then quickly smooth the product out with a foam applicator if needed.

- Allow the product to soak into the rubber and dry over the course of 15-30 minutes. The product should appear even and dry to the touch at this time. You may apply a second coat at this time. If there is excess product that has not dried, gently wipe it away with a microfiber cloth.

I`ve been using OB for over a year now (on my own vehicles as well as customer vehicles) and have only used about 20oz of product, so I promise that it does not require a lot of product for great results.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

+1 a clean tire is paramount to any dressing. Also use a stronger concentrate if you need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I found a Carrand brush locally and decided to give Opti-Bond another try and I still don`t like it. A brush is definitely the best way to apply it as I used a lot less product when comparing it to using a foam applicator. But coverage is still spotty and still slings.

Edit: I forgot to add the the dressing had 12+ hours to cure before the truck was driven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information