Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for protecting Black Chrome

So I`m planning on having some wheels Black Chromed and having done some powder coating in the past I know that the metal pigment floats to the surface and lays on top of the actual paint. If it gets scratched the metal is removed and all you see is the black paint underneath.
    I want to make sure I coat them with whatever the best protection would be to make sure that they don`t get scratched by the actual cleaning process and are fairly easy to maintain. Anybody have any suggestions for a great coating that won`t affect the chrome shine and will provide great protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for protecting Black Chrome

ck into some of the coatings offered
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I mean no offense but I`ve never had any issues with black chrome. I`ve always treated it the same as regular chrome. Powder coating is an entirely different animal. In my experience if it works on chrome it will work on black chrome. I`m anxious to read comments from others that know more about this than I do.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I mean no offense but I`ve never had any issues with black chrome. I`ve always treated it the same as regular chrome. Powder coating is an entirely different animal. In my experience if it works on chrome it will work on black chrome. I`m anxious to read comments from others that know more about this than I do.
    I agree.

What about powder coating though? Can you use a coating on powder coated wheels? I have used spray sealants like Adams and Sonax.

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

i have black chrome wheels (from california chrome). i use mothers chrome cleaner on them with no ill effects. as far as a coating is concerned, i really dont know...i have the black label wheel coating and i plan on coating my black chrome rims with that once i get some more spare time.

if you wanted to go with something easy you could look into permanon or something similar where you just mix it with water and spray it on and rinse it off-although they will not protect as long as other coatings.

look forward to hearing from others, but i dont see anything going wrong with using any type of coating on your wheels

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    i have black chrome wheels (from california chrome). i use mothers chrome cleaner on them with no ill effects. as far as a coating is concerned, i really dont know...i have the black label wheel coating and i plan on coating my black chrome rims with that once i get some more spare time
    Thanks for all the comments guys, that`s why I joined to get some ideas and real time results. California Chrom,e is where I plan to get my wheels done so, hearing this is great news. I`m not so overly concerned now that I am hearing these comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Label Wheel Coating will work for sure, and be a great choice for the most protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greggshere View Post
    Thanks for all the comments guys, that`s why I joined to get some ideas and real time results. California Chrom,e is where I plan to get my wheels done so, hearing this is great news. I`m not so overly concerned now that I am hearing these comments.
    be forewarned though that there may be a bubble or two in the black chrome coating after its completed. they even state this somewhere on their site. i also have had to put clear nail polish on one small part that has chipped off because the tire shop did not use the rubber sockets i provided to take off the lugs.

i have used chrome cleaner and even wax on them with great results- i treat them just like my paint except for using abrasives of course

i was weary about using the mothers chrome cleaner at first but it said right on the bottle that it was even good for black chrome

Brandt K.

Thread Information