Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help with these wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    I would first test to see if these wheels are clear coated. My thought is they are. I would then try any polish that is safe for clear coated wheels or even m205 and see what that does. This may be clear coat failure on the wheel that has now came through worse because it was in the snow.
    If the rag turns black then they are not clear coated, and would need heavy machine polishing to get that out...What it looks to me is pitting of the clear coat, from neglect and maybe the salts used while in the snow. That again would require machine polishing
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

final process was rinse, apc 1:5 on inside of wheels and speedmaster jr, rinse, iron x dwell and wipedown, then rinse
    dried with leaf blower and then clayed the wheel and rinsed and dried again with leaf blower
    0000 steel wool (first time using it and this stuff is awesome)
    then followed up with mothers chrome polish via mothers mini ball and drill
    put about six squirts of opti-seal on each wheel for good measure
    proud of the results and thankful to finally have his wheels in better condition

before

after

those little dots are holes in the plating and they were not coming off but the oxidation or whatever that was on top came right off after clay and 0000steel wool

apc did not do anything, neither did the iron x but i guess it did help a little because all wheels turned colors..
    it was the 0000 steel wool that did all the hard work

oh that scratch right there by the lip...when he got the truck he changed the tires and they messed up when installing/balancing them and caused at least two scratches like that on each lip-horrible

optibond on the tires (put on the day before this pic) if anyone was wondering-rinsing the wheel i got the tires wet and it didn`t phase the optibond, much appreciated

tried to tell him he needed to get me to coat the wheels with the black label coating but for some reason he was not on board. hopefully the optiseal hold up well enough but who knows

i was actually doing all this to just help my friend out and he ended up giving me some cash so thats even better-and i booked two other jobs while working on these wheels this morning

gotta love some good karma

thanks for all the suggestions

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Great turnaround, looks much better!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Way good on the turnaround. I`ve been using the quad ought since the 70`s. I too am a fan. It works great on rusted chrome. Back in the day we used it with a little bit of Sprite (soft drink). It removes surface rust in a blink. There are obviously products designed to work much more efficiently than what we did back in the day but some of this old school stuff really did work.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. They came out great.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Great turnaround, looks much better!!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Wow! Way good on the turnaround. I`ve been using the quad ought since the 70`s. I too am a fan. It works great on rusted chrome. Back in the day we used it with a little bit of Sprite (soft drink). It removes surface rust in a blink. There are obviously products designed to work much more efficiently than what we did back in the day but some of this old school stuff really did work.
    i threw pinnacle apc (3 dilutions including straight), simple green (3 dilutions including straight), sonax, iron x, and the 0000 steel wool saved the day(at less than $3 mind you)

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice job. They came out great.
    thanks

i know these wheels didn`t come out perfect but i ended up spending more time on the wheels all together than the entire truck. lol

but at the end of the day it was all worth it because the wheels came out looking much better and besides that I just couldn`t have my name and work attached to a pair of wheels that looked that bad

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

i know these wheels didn`t come out perfect but i ended up spending more time on the wheels all together than the entire truck. lol

but at the end of the day it was all worth it because the wheels came out looking much better and besides that I just couldn`t have my name and work attached to a pair of wheels that looked that bad
    Maybe not perfect.. But the turnaround was amazing. Seriously great work!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information