Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys Wheel Cleaner Confusion...

I know I`m not the first, but I`ve been having trouble finding the "right" wheel cleaner for my needs, which is really just an effective, safe maintenance cleaner(join the club, right). I decided to give Chemical Guys a try based on reviews and cost.

I bought Diablo Gel Wheel Cleaner and was planning on diluting either 4:1 or 6:1 because my wheels are Opti-Coated and well maintained. I chose Diablo because it is pH-balanced/neutral and considered the safest wheel cleaner that Chemical Guys offers.

For the price, though, I have also been looking at Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner, which is also said, by Chemical Guys, to be pH-netural (but not balanced. Hmm, marketing... Or is there something to be said?) It is also said to be safe on all wheels, plus it offers a higher dilution ratio and is cheaper. (Note: I know Swanic is adamant about using Sticky over Diablo for this reason.)

Then there is Signature Series Wheel Cleaner (which was recently reviewed here), which is also cheaper than Diablo and offers up to 4:1 dilution. It is said to be a citrus-based cleaner. I am not really looking at this as much, but figured I would get thoughts.

The price difference between Sticky and Diablo is significant, but that being said I want the safest cleaner (both for me and my wheels) and will pay a bit more for it. I want to use a dedicated wheel cleaner (I know all I need is soap and water but for whatever reason I want a wheel cleaner). On tires I use Optimum Power Clean.

I bought the Duck Foaming Sprayer to use with the wheel cleaner. I was also wondering if adding a little car wash or ONR to the Diablo solution may be advisable? It could help it cling and foam up, at least that`s what I was thinking...

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use diablo at 5-1 with the duck former with pretty good results. I think it is more concentrated than the sticky wheel cleaner is why it is so much more expensive. I haven`t used the other cg wheel cleaners so I can`t vouch for them, but there are some pretty good reviews about them on here.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Wheel Cleaner Confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    I know I`m not the first, but I`ve been having trouble finding the "right" wheel cleaner for my needs, which is really just an effective, safe maintenance cleaner(join the club, right). I decided to give Chemical Guys a try based on reviews and cost.

I bought Diablo Gel Wheel Cleaner and was planning on diluting either 4:1 or 6:1 because my wheels are Opti-Coated and well maintained. I chose Diablo because it is pH-balanced/neutral and considered the safest wheel cleaner that Chemical Guys offers.

For the price, though, I have also been looking at Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner, which is also said, by Chemical Guys, to be pH-netural (but not balanced. Hmm, marketing... Or is there something to be said?) It is also said to be safe on all wheels, plus it offers a higher dilution ratio and is cheaper. (Note: I know Swanic is adamant about using Sticky over Diablo for this reason.)

Then there is Signature Series Wheel Cleaner (which was recently reviewed here), which is also cheaper than Diablo and offers up to 4:1 dilution. It is said to be a citrus-based cleaner. I am not really looking at this as much, but figured I would get thoughts.

The price difference between Sticky and Diablo is significant, but that being said I want the safest cleaner (both for me and my wheels) and will pay a bit more for it. I want to use a dedicated wheel cleaner (I know all I need is soap and water but for whatever reason I want a wheel cleaner). On tires I use Optimum Power Clean.

I bought the Duck Foaming Sprayer to use with the wheel cleaner. I was also wondering if adding a little car wash or ONR to the Diablo solution may be advisable? It could help it cling and foam up, at least that`s what I was thinking...

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Happy detailing!
    Since your wheels are Opti coated, what difference does it make on the wheel cleaner..they all will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Since your wheels are Opti coated, what difference does it make on the wheel cleaner..they all will work.

Agreed.

Actually why not just use your normal car wash soap. I don`t need anything more than that on our VW that has OC on the wheels. And if I need more I just use APC diluted.

Post Thanks / Like

If your wheels are opti coated Sticky Wheel is enough to maintain them. I have used both I actually prefer Sticky over Diablo. Diable foams up more when you agitate it. They both cling very well. I still prefer the Sticky.
    On really bad rims neither are going to cut it.

Thread Information