Post Thanks / Like

Interior side of rim

I just finished cleaning a Caddy that had been covered in tack coat (emulsified tar). During the cleaning process I pulled the front wheels as the interior of the wheels were covered too. Some mineral spirits and a lot of elbow grease later they were much cleaner, but there is still some gunk in there. The mineral spirits didn`t touch it, the tarminator that I had left didn`t touch it, nor did dawn soap, all with heavy agitation and a stiff bristle brush. It almost looks like some manner of spray paint. During all of those various attempts, I would try to scratch it with my finger nails and was never able to get any up.

What is my next step?

It is a painted rim so I can`t break out sand paper and re-polish. I could possibly use my sisal wheel and white rouge (+/- 3000 grit jewelers polish) but don`t know what would happen on a painted surface. It`s obviously been there a very long time and it isn`t very noticeable unless you`re looking for it. The car owner doesn`t care (they`ve washed it once in the year they`ve had it). So its more a personal vendetta against whatever it is than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior side of rim

Quote Originally Posted by ogre01 View Post
    I just finished cleaning a Caddy that had been covered in tack coat (emulsified tar). During the cleaning process I pulled the front wheels as the interior of the wheels were covered too. Some mineral spirits and a lot of elbow grease later they were much cleaner, but there is still some gunk in there. The mineral spirits didn`t touch it, the tarminator that I had left didn`t touch it, nor did dawn soap, all with heavy agitation and a stiff bristle brush. It almost looks like some manner of spray paint. During all of those various attempts, I would try to scratch it with my finger nails and was never able to get any up.

What is my next step?

It is a painted rim so I can`t break out sand paper and re-polish. I could possibly use my sisal wheel and white rouge (+/- 3000 grit jewelers polish) but don`t know what would happen on a painted surface. It`s obviously been there a very long time and it isn`t very noticeable unless you`re looking for it. The car owner doesn`t care (they`ve washed it once in the year they`ve had it). So its more a personal vendetta against whatever it is than anything else.
    In lew of the last suggestion I gave you, can you post some pics of this. What I didn`t realize on your last post was the amount of tar, the car had gone thought. Not saying my suggestion would have been different, the approach would have.

Whatever is on the rims you are talking about would require a few pics, so I and others can get a better understanding of what your up against
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to take a couple of pictures this afternoon. I also may have some pictures of the tack on the car though it was getting pretty dark at that point and then the camera battery died. Unfortunately I`m not as thorough as many of the more informative people on here with pictorial progress of cleaning (though I find it quite helpful).

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a poor picture of the stuff on the rim (I pulled the wrong one too, the driver`s side has a bigger area of the junk). It isn`t a scuff, its definitely on the surface and maybe its something that can`t be removed, these aren`t the highest quality rims, but I have seen some amazing projects on here.

Also a couple of pictures of the tack coat. Unfortunately a picture doesn`t do it justice, but there it is. The heavy stuff in the wheel well is the biggest problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Almost looks more like undercoating? Like they tried to spray the back of the wheel well through the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Med drying laquer thinner or proffessional grade goof off should get it off.

Test a small area first . Thinner may be too strong for the wheel well plastic and dry it out . Both are usually paint safe as long as its not laquer paint or very soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Med drying laquer thinner or proffessional grade goof off should get it off.

Test a small area first . Thinner may be too strong for the wheel well plastic and dry it out . Both are usually paint safe as long as its not laquer paint or very soft paint.
    The Lacquer thinner on the wells was my reaction. It`s a very aggressive cleaner and IS GOING to take off that tar and quickly. As suggested try a spot to watch how it cleans to start.

You could also use Acetone about the same cleaning properties but a lot less aggressive. I`ve used it on removal of over-spray on paint. Check this link that I post some years back

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-finished.html
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

You also may want to get some plastic razor blades( along with the solvents) to assist getting it off esp in the wheel well area.

Good luck!! Looks gnarly!!

Thread Information