Post Thanks / Like

Wurth Wheel paint

Todd I`m looking forward to your review on Wurth wheel paint system . I also have some rash on the wifes accord and have been contemplating on which way to go about the repair. One question/concern though is I see they only offer one color silver and compare it to European cars. Seeing how we both have Japanese cars I`m wondering about the color match. Thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wurth Wheel paint

I`m going to try to get the review done by this Friday. I was originally going to go all out (dismount the tire, apply some filler to the nick, but am going to keep it much more simple, and much more realistic to what a DIY`er will do. IE, tape the tire up, mask off the body, and shoot it on the car.

I can spray some on a card and hold it up to my wheel today so we both can get a better understanding.

Color match will be a big deal, since (just like cars) not all silver`s are the same. I don`t know if a Ford silver wheel is the same as a Hyundai, and so on. Then again a lot of OEM wheels come from the same place, so perhaps they are sprayed the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I`m going to try to get the review done by this Friday. I was originally going to go all out (dismount the tire, apply some filler to the nick, but am going to keep it much more simple, and much more realistic to what a DIY`er will do. IE, tape the tire up, mask off the body, and shoot it on the car.

I can spray some on a card and hold it up to my wheel today so we both can get a better understanding.

Color match will be a big deal, since (just like cars) not all silver`s are the same. I don`t know if a Ford silver wheel is the same as a Hyundai, and so on. Then again a lot of OEM wheels come from the same place, so perhaps they are sprayed the same.

I can`t wait! I to would like to refinish my wheels in the future as my car is 8+ years old and the wheels could just a little refresh.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Year`s ago this product work on all european rims. But never seen or heard that it work all other makes. Maybe Todd`s test will tell us, hope to see this.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a quick preview. I laid two heavy coats of Wurth Silver (Wheel) Paint on a piece of cardboard. The pic doesn`t do the match justice because the sun is at a harsh angle right now (lots of contrast). In person, in the sun and shade, the color match is pretty much spot on. Even the size and consistency of the metal flake is pretty much a perfect match.

I am so encouraged the quality of the paint that I am going to put a little filler in the scratches and see if I cannot do a more perfect job. I am not expecting perfection but I think that I will be able to achieve a very professional result that is not not noticeable unless you are inches from the wheel.

Again not the best pic (shot from my Iphone 4S in direct sun light which washes away most of the effect)

Post Thanks / Like

Permatex makes a kit that comes with a rash filler. From what I`ve have read a polyester type filler should not be used. The filler with the permatex kit dries grey almost looking like JB weld but is a one part filler. Maybe somebody on here will chime in that has actually done these types of repairs before and lend a little direction. I know I`m going to need some filler and don`t want it falling out down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, I was getting ready to completely refinish 4 OEM rims. Was planning on Duplicolor. Will now switch to Wurth. Of course, I`ll wait until you are down with your touch-up so I can learn more about the process. THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd sure does seem to have a knack at keeping us on the edge of our seat doesn`t he.

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to your review/write up Todd! My wife curbed 2 wheels and I have been dealing with the horror ever since! If figured there wasnt much I could do outside finding someone else to fix it. That always ends up costing me $$$$. Hopefully with your help I can get a DIY fix figured out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    Look forward to your review/write up Todd! My wife curbed 2 wheels and I have been dealing with the horror ever since! If figured there wasnt much I could do outside finding someone else to fix it. That always ends up costing me $$$$. Hopefully with your help I can get a DIY fix figured out.
    Short of replacing the rim or having it completely refinished most `professional` jobs I have seen have always been noticeable. I am going to look at different filler products (as suggested above). I really am encouraged by how close the color match is. Also how easily this paint lays down, it `feels` a lot less like spray paint and a lot more like its coming out of a professional gun.

It may take another week if it makes sense to source a better filler for the scratches. Stay tuned, I will do my best.

Thread Information