Post Thanks / Like

Transmission Fulid

I was talking to a Body+Paint shop owner last week and he said he uses transmission fulid on the tires and trim.....it was cheap....I"ll stay away from there..
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Transmission Fulid

Does he also happen to own the tire shop down the street?

Post Thanks / Like

it was common practice in the past....

Post Thanks / Like

I use it for air freshener...
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Fulid

I used it for pancakes...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, old school quick fix. It will rot the tire. They also used to use it on oxidized paint when it came to used car lot turn around. Transmission fluids of the past were a bit abrasive and highly detergent. It would leave an oil slick on the finish that likely looked better than oxidized paint. Two days later it would look horrible.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know when anyone ever used petroleum based products like transmission fluid on rubber - ever.

I remember being told that transmission fluid was good at cleaning out engines and stuff because it was thinner and had a lot of detergents in it, but never ever was told it was good for rubber.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    I use it for air freshener...
    Not even sure what to say about that. I hate the way tranny fluid and 90 Wt. smell. In my opinion burnt tranny fluid, burnt 90 Wt. and a lean mixture are about the worst you`ll smell in the automotive world. I like the smell of a burning clutch, burning brakes or antifreeze in the exhaust or at least as long as it isn`t my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I dont know when anyone ever used petroleum based products like transmission fluid on rubber - ever.

I remember being told that transmission fluid was good at cleaning out engines and stuff because it was thinner and had a lot of detergents in it, but never ever was told it was good for rubber.

Dan F
    Might be an age thing but it wasn`t at all uncommon when I first stepped into the automotive world. Right up there with Vaseline on the dashboard (which by the way would "sunburn" the vinyl). Mind you, I`ve never done that. I`ve always been a believer in the right tool for the job.

I had a friend who worked for an old boy that had his own shop for decades. He was actually a pretty good ol` wrench but he new every short cut, quick fix and shady trick in the book. This is where I first saw the trans fluid on the tires trick. I remember him changing out a ring and pinion to a lower set of gears. I watched as he installed new gears and put the old 90 Wt. back in the pumpkin. I was appalled and called him on it. His comment was that he put a 12,000 mile warranty on it and it wouldn`t have any problems between now and then. He was independently wealthy when he sold the shop off to my friend and retired. No doubt the short cuts put a few bucks in his pocket over the years.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Not even sure what to say about that. I hate the way tranny fluid and 90 Wt. smell. In my opinion burnt tranny fluid, burnt 90 Wt. and a lean mixture are about the worst you`ll smell in the automotive world. I like the smell of a burning clutch, burning brakes or antifreeze in the exhaust or at least as long as it isn`t my vehicle.
    Not to mention rear end fluid that has sat in a 60`s vehicle after it has sat for years.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Thread Information