Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to get this out to all the detailer`s!

I am a full time insurance adjuster and a note just went out the other day about side airbags from I-CAR.

When jacking up the car and taking the wheel`s off it is possible that you can set the side airbag off. I thought some of you should know this as you take the wheels off when you detail the car.

Think about it next time you go to jack the car up.

Just trying to keep everyone headache free.

if anyone every needs any other type of advice on auto collision repairs or claims, i will be glad to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you prevent the airbags from deploying when taking the wheels off? Does it just happen or is it something you do wrong?
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can disconnect the battery and wait about 30 minutes and then take the wheels off. Even if you disconnect the battery that car can still have a charge in it for a few minutes, i think 30 minutes and you should be fine. Don`t jack the car up with the car running as wheel, the computer in the car will think because the car is running that someone is inside and may depoly the airbag.

the reason this happens is because the sensors are on the sides of the car for the side airbags.

Airbags can go off for any reason, you can hit a hole in the ground the wrong way and the airbags can go off.:scared

I am looking into getting more info on this as well. Once i get it i will foward it all to the forum.

But if you ask me, leave the wheels on and get inside them with a small brush

Post Thanks / Like

Cool *Clear-Coater Chrome Alloys*

Hello Guys/
    Okay...I need some Help w/my Chrome Alloys w/ClearCoat please.I bought these used,for my 2007 Chilli-Pepper Red Saturn ION/Redline.
    They have Light surface scratches.I tried one wheel w/some SyntheticCompound w/this small 3" Red Felt Ball for Drills.Well,I landed up
    making just a small section alittle worse/ ..So that was it for that ball.I bought some Nu-Finish called *Scratch Doctor*,Clear Coat Scratch Remover.
    It has a $$ back Guarantee.It costs like $12.00 for a 6.5 Oz bottle.I haven`t used it yet,because I`d like a *Professional Opinion* about it.
    If anyone here has used/tried it w/or w/o great results.I bought a Mothers Power Ball for Cheap,so I will not cause anymore damage.
    I`m not working right now `cause of my 3rd Back Injury this March,so $$`s is tight.Any and All Advice is *Always Greatly Appreciated* on this Forum.
    Thank You All in Advance for Your:Time/Help/Advice and Response.
    I Hope Everyone and their Family/Friends *Have a Great and Safe Memorial Day WeekEnd*.Take Care.
    All The Best/
    Raymond
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *It`s Nice To Be Important* But It`s *More Important To Be Nice*[Quote from a Very Dear Friend & Ex~Boss:*Mr.Joseph Minieri*] R.I.P.Always/
    May God Bless & Keep *Our Troops Safe/ 24~7*/:angel:

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is a spray that removes a clear and powdercoated coat off of the metals it bonds to. You may what to ask Todd what the name is. Hope he chimes in. I would remove the clear. Makes it easier to take care of IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Quesada

"Success is not the key to happiness.
    Happiness is the key to success.
    If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Post Thanks / Like
    If the clearcoat is intact and not flaking, discolored badly, etc., I would want to try to save it by polishing it like you would do your paint, using the same technique and products. Its clearcoat, your paint has clear coat on it, it should respond similarly.
    I think if you go to the trouble to remove the clearcoat, you will be forever polishing the alloy wheels with products that will make them shine like crazy, but will turn your rags black, and the shine wont last very long, before you have to do it again.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by *MustangGT/25YRS* View Post
    Hello Guys/
    Okay...I need some Help w/my Chrome Alloys w/ClearCoat please.I bought these used,for my 2007 Chilli-Pepper Red Saturn ION/Redline.
    They have Light surface scratches.I tried one wheel w/some SyntheticCompound w/this small 3" Red Felt Ball for Drills.Well,I landed up
    making just a small section alittle worse/ ..So that was it for that ball.I bought some Nu-Finish called *Scratch Doctor*,Clear Coat Scratch Remover.
    It has a $$ back Guarantee.It costs like $12.00 for a 6.5 Oz bottle.I haven`t used it yet,because I`d like a *Professional Opinion* about it.
    If anyone here has used/tried it w/or w/o great results.I bought a Mothers Power Ball for Cheap,so I will not cause anymore damage.
    I`m not working right now `cause of my 3rd Back Injury this March,so $$`s is tight.Any and All Advice is *Always Greatly Appreciated* on this Forum.
    Thank You All in Advance for Your:Time/Help/Advice and Response.
    I Hope Everyone and their Family/Friends *Have a Great and Safe Memorial Day WeekEnd*.Take Care.
    All The Best/
    Raymond

I have never seen "Chrome wheels" with a clear over the chrome??, you sure about this.
    "Comfortable in my own skin"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    I have never seen "Chrome wheels" with a clear over the chrome??, you sure about this.
    Exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    More than likely it is a polished wheel with a clear, GM utilizes this finish but leaves the wheels with a semi - polished look, more matte and you can see the polishmarks left by the turning wheel and polish.

Polish the wheels just like you would the finish on the body. Some pics might help as well.
    "Comfortable in my own skin"

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I been thinking the same here.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool *Polished Alloy Wheels w/Clearcoat*

Evening Guys/
    You`re Right...My Bad/.They are the Polished Alloys and have the clear coat finish...lol.So in regards to the Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor,have you guys
    ever used this for this application? If not,what would you recommend and what tools? [Sort-To-Speak].I`m *All Ears*/.Thanx Again,in Advance,for
    Your:Time/Help/Info and Response.Take Care.
    All The Best/
    Raymond
    *It`s Nice To Be Important* But It`s *More Important To Be Nice*[Quote from a Very Dear Friend & Ex~Boss:*Mr.Joseph Minieri*] R.I.P.Always/

Post Thanks / Like

Cool *No Removal* of Clearcoat*

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    If the clearcoat is intact and not flaking, discolored badly, etc., I would want to try to save it by polishing it like you would do your paint, using the same technique and products. Its clearcoat, your paint has clear coat on it, it should respond similarly.
    I think if you go to the trouble to remove the clearcoat, you will be forever polishing the alloy wheels with products that will make them shine like crazy, but will turn your rags black, and the shine wont last very long, before you have to do it again.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    **************^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***************
    Hello Dan/
    My ex-boss had Alcoa Alloys on his dually pickup.And when we had to polish them it really sukked/:doh:.I hated them.I will not remove the clear from these.
    These only had alittle over 250/Miles on them,and have the original tires that come on the RedLines.All 4/Tires still have some of the Tread Nubs
    left on them/:cornut:!!.As far as the same procedure,is it okay to use the Power Ball w/my synthetic compound,at a slow speed for the alloys?
    Thanx for your Help & Response,Dan F.
    All The Best/
    Raymond

Post Thanks / Like

Cool *Polished Alloys w/Clearcoat*

***************^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^************* **
    Evening AC/
    I originally thought they were chromed alloys,but I remembered they`re not.
    Ohhh Boyyy!!/:doh:/:toetap05:.Thanx for Your Enlightenment/=O].Take Care.
    All The Best/
    Raymond

Post Thanks / Like
    Me neither. Todd feels quite confident that GM was using this secret technology a few years back. Him and I actually went back in forth on Autopia about this, but to this day he still feels confident that his info is accurate. (even though I provided multiple sources of documentation to show him otherwise)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy *Scratches Won`t Go Away*

Hello/
    Well,I tried my Synthetic Compound w/my Makita/9227 w/4" Light CuttingOrange Pad at approx. #3 Setting [1500/RPM`s].Of course,this attempt was on the Flat Surfaces only.I really like doing the Detail Thing,but it makes me sad as I really do not have alot of experience on something like this...I tried the Scratch Doctor,by hand,and it also did not work/..The Clearcoat Finish on All The Alloys *is not* Yellowed/Really Dull/Peeling/Chipped/Etc.The scratches are not deep,they`re surface type.I did not want to increase the Buffer Speed,as I felt #3 should`ve been more than enough to remove those scratches.Anyone else want to give any advice? Maybe I should let someone else do them......Thanx for Your Time to Read.
    All The Best/
    Raymond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information