Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct when you say never assume that a finish is flawless just because it is brand new - I agree. I just wanted to avoid the inevitable "hair line scratch inducing prep job" that is typically given at no additional cost by the dealership. No thanks.

The same evening that I picked up my vehicle, there was a navy blue 2002 Escape awaiting pick up as well, and the prep boys had had their way with it earlier that day. It wasn`t pretty, especially under the flourescent lights.

I have washed this vehicle and gone over it carefully. Without a doubt it needs to be clayed. It`s the use of AIO prior to the SG that I`m debating.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by arcticwhite [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>The same evening that I picked up my vehicle, there was a navy blue 2002 Escape awaiting pick up as well, and the prep boys had had their way with it earlier that day. It wasn`t pretty, especially under the flourescent lights. [/b]</blockquote>
    If that navy blue looks bad now wait until the new owner takes it home and washes it. :scared

<strong class=`bbc`>I have washed this vehicle and gone over it carefully. Without a doubt it needs to be clayed. It`s the use of AIO prior to the SG that I`m debating. [/b]</blockquote>
    It seems even the folks that say to skip the AIO also say that it couldn`t hurt. That`s why I say "why not?". Heck compared to all the steps in the Zaino process Klasse seems comparitively easy.

<ul class=`bbcol decimal`>[*] The cost of the AIO is reasonable and it has many other uses like wheels.[*] The time involved to apply 1 layer of AIO and remove it isn`t much, maybe a half an hour.[*] Nobody has stated that AIO will harm your new paint just that it may be a wasted step. Refer back to #2.[/list]
    BTW I really liked your story about being adament that the dealer not prep your car. Oh well many people think that we Autopians are a little nuts anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>But some spanking brand new cars come equiped with standard rail rust, and those cars definately need the AIO before the SG.

It seems like we forget that AIO does more good than "damage" (otherwise we wouldn`t use it) its abrasiveness exists between that of a CD and that of a clear coat. If you can readily see that your car seems to have already been exposed to the envronment then you should use it. [/b]</blockquote>
    Claying is more effective for embedded rusty particles in your paint than AIO.

Steve, no one is saying that it`s bad for your paint. Just unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

WB safe on clad plastic?

OK, I let the DD wheels get really bad with brake dust and the soap-n-water did little to clean them last night. If I can find my P21S gel, that will be my product of choice (don`t get me started on why I can`t find my stuff). My question is can I safely use Meg`s WB on the chrome-clad plastic wheel covers or should I just wait to find my P21S? I got the WB to do the backside of these wheels as a back to the P21S (4yo and never sealed :banghead: )
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use P21 before any type of acid type wheel cleaner on any clad plastic wheel cover grungy. You can use Opti-Clean or Power Clean on them also.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember we got them and use your member discount code!

http://www.properautocare.com/optimum.html
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Harry,
    If you have Opti-Clean, use it. It really does work very well.
    Now, what the heck is the deal with you loosing your stuff?...jk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Barry - not really losing it, just cannot reach the area it is in (tons of wood in front of the new bench I built to help `clean up` the garage. Not working so far, but it will get resolved by this summer.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information