Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of guys on Corvette Forum who change their pads weekly!

Friday night they put on the softer OEM (high-dust, but good grip!) pads for TRACK.

Then on Sunday after Track Days, the Ceramics go back on for street!

(An aweful lot of work in my book!!!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The AA Wheel Protectant really does work, but 1 or 2 days of driving in the rain and a lot of the protection wears off. Also, the protection in general doesn`t seem to hang on for more than two weeks. But it`s crazy because wheel sealants and waxes tend to make this claim, but they end up doing nothing to repel brake dust, except for making the wheels easier to clean in the future. This OTC product really works wonders for the first two weeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    The AA Wheel Protectant really does work, but 1 or 2 days of driving in the rain and a lot of the protection wears off. Also, the protection in general doesn`t seem to hang on for more than two weeks. But it`s crazy because wheel sealants and waxes tend to make this claim, but they end up doing nothing to repel brake dust, except for making the wheels easier to clean in the future. This OTC product really works wonders for the first two weeks!
    Water will definitely wash it off. It`s a dry weather fix only!:iagree:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using this wheel protectant since it came out with great results. My biggest issue is the slight white residue that can be seen when the wheels have a darker tint (like gunmetal grey). I usually do two applications and let it sit overnight. I wipe off the residue and apply one coat of PB wheel sealant. My wheels stay fairly clean for about three months. I have a 60 mile daily commute. I don`t wash my vehicle as often as I should

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied this late yesterday to my wheels and today the black part of my wheels look like a greasy film is on them .NOT pretty , I wiped it off with a towel. The chrome part of the wheel looks fine .

It was a very dark day high humidity when I applied it I wonder if that had something to do with it . Or maybe I applied too much ?

It also kind of messed up my tire dressing so so far Im not really too thrilled but Im willing to play around with it a little and see if I can get it to work for me.

update:so i reapplied what I had wiped off and still got the filmy look AGAIN and upon inspecting further I saw what another member was talking about, a whitish haze.

I have to say thumbs down on this product for black wheels anyway .
    I will probably just wash it off at this point i dont care if it repells brake dust I would rather have nice looking wheels and clean them more often than have them look like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gdal View Post
    I`ve been using this wheel protectant since it came out with great results. My biggest issue is the slight white residue that can be seen when the wheels have a darker tint (like gunmetal grey).
    I didn`t notice any white residue, but possibly some very slight "dulling". Painted surfaces not as shiny as if they were waxed, sealed, or "necked". :

After letting the AAWP sit overnight, I`ve been taking a dry microfiber towel and lightly buffing off the dullness. Shiny underneath, and I don`t think I`m wiping off the product, just the slight hazing.

I`m wondering if the BMW group has tried this product. Every seen a Beemer with "blackened" front wheels? Very common on those cars for heavy brake dust.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some folks may be saying... "Why not just wash the wheels more frequently?"

True. But I`m talking about extreme and excessive dusting from very soft, performance type pads.

50 miles and the wheels are trashed!

The more I drive with this product on my wheels, the more I`m sold on it!:wink:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m doubtful of that 2nd pic... That is SEVERE dusting and cant be after a few hour drive with minimal braking. Just last month I took a 2010 GS to Vegas and it was a 8.5 hour drive with some very spirited driving and braking in spots, and with chrome wheels they weren`t even a quarter that bad! I think that other member is playing it up...or he took that pic at a track day.
    Jeff
    Immaculate Reflections Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    "After letting the AAWP sit overnight, I`ve been taking a dry microfiber towel and lightly buffing off the dullness. Shiny underneath, and I don`t think I`m wiping off the product, just the slight hazing."

luster, thats what I ended up doing for my black wheels and they look fine now. Happy camper here so far:smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried it, and was not overly impressed. I didn`t like the white film, and it really didn`t repell the brake dust.

I will give it another try though. Maybe, I didn`t apply it right. I dunno!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    I tried it, and was not overly impressed. I didn`t like the white film, and it really didn`t repell the brake dust.
    I didn`t get any white film. In fact, when I sprayed it on my comp gray wheels, they actually looked shinier when they were dry. I don`t know if "repel" is the correct work (even though I may have said it!:devil; But the brake dust can either be quickly dusted off with a swiffer duster or blown off with a leaf blower. I just doesn`t stick.

It may take a few tries for different methods. I applied two light coats 1 hour apart, then let dry overnight. No residue.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I didn`t get any white film. In fact, when I sprayed it on my comp gray wheels, they actually looked shinier when they were dry. I don`t know if "repel" is the correct work (even though I may have said it!:devil; But the brake dust can either be quickly dusted off with a swiffer duster or blown off with a leaf blower. I just doesn`t stick.

It may take a few tries for different methods. I applied two light coats 1 hour apart, then let dry overnight. No residue.
    Also owning a Corvette i feel your pain about the dusting problem.I will pick up a couple of cans also and try it out on my black powder coated black rims.And thanks for the review on this product.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    so today I pulled one of my wheel covers off and looked at it in the sunlight and there was definetely a layer of brakedust on it so I used my compressor with a blow gun to try to blow it off and it did not help it any . The brake dust was stuck on.

Im sure there are alot of variables that go into whether this product works or not( like what you have on youe wheels and what kind of brake shoes/pads)you have but it doesnt seem to work well for me.

Anyone in San diego is welcome to rest of my bottle for free!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    so today I pulled one of my wheel covers off and looked at it in the sunlight and there was definetely a layer of brakedust on it so I used my compressor with a blow gun to try to blow it off and it did not help it any . The brake dust was stuck on.

Im sure there are alot of variables that go into whether this product works or not( like what you have on youe wheels and what kind of brake shoes/pads)you have but it doesnt seem to work well for me.

Anyone in San diego is welcome to rest of my bottle for free!
    I`m sure you`re right about lots of variables. The biggest one being the texture of the finish on the wheel. An ultra smooth, slick wheel will no doubt shed brake dust much better than a wheel with an "eggshell" finish or a slightly matte texture.

If it worked as advertised on "ALL WHEELS", we, as detailers, would be out of business!!!:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still up in the air with this stuff too. I don`t mind the small bit of residue left over, I just lightly wipe it off and I`ve gotten where I hardly get any now as I`m applying less. The thing that I don`t like is when it gets wet, it seems like the brake dust is immediately stuck on and looks terrible, I noticed it on my wife`s and mine after the rain last week. Also, I haven`t found where the dust comes off any easier on the next wash.

I think I`ll mask off 1/2 of my rim the next time and do a 50/50 comparison, just for sh*ts an giggles. I just went back to dusty OEM brakes, so now would be a great time to see what the stuff is made of.

More to follow....
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information