Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would personally recommend against Wheel Brightner in this situation, because you wheels are `rashed` and it appears some of the bare metal is showing (assuming aluminum). Wheel Brightner could work well on the staining, but could damage the aluminum (highly corrosive) if exposed.

Because of the severity of that staining (and the fact that other wheel cleaners didn`t even touch it) you are will likely need oxalic acid, which used to be found some of the old Chrome Wheel Cleaners.

I believe Mother`s still sells a wheel cleaner (in bulk size) that contains oxalic acid, I don`t believe anything we sell uses it. Dilute 1:1 with water and brush on with a stiff toothbrush. The oxalic acid will eat the rust and destroy the bond that is holding the brake dust on, you maybe have to apply it a couple times with the toothbrush and let it dwell as it works.

The problem is that once you remove the staining you may find that the clear coat underneath is damaged from the brake dust and neglect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonax Full Effect is the ONLY way to go in this case. Powerfull as Megs WB, yet safe as P21S gel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
    I had good luck with Brown Royal. Plus it is safer than WB.

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...ht=brown+royal
    I ordered the Brown Royal and it wasn`t as good as the videos I saw on youtube or any before or after pictures. I even tried without diluting just to see how strong it really is with no luck. Wasn`t making the dirt come off like melted butter on knife as others posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Girlfriend`s rims (Her car`s, not her`s...) were stained something like that and nothing worked until a friend of mine who used to work with me in the car wash and auto detailing told me to use Thiner (I know that`s for paint, but it does work) and sand paper (1500 to be exact) and it really worked.
    Trust me. Your car is in the best professional hands... "OHHHH SHINY":w00t:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Might want to consider a mask or respirator as well. That stuff is pretty stout, it`ll clean yer sinuses in ways you don`t want!

TL
    Best advice given so far /

OP...

Seeing that these wheels are already toast I would recommend cleaning them as good as you can getum with APC (full-strenght) and then hit the rough areas with 0000 steal wool and calling it a day :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah the wheels looked pretty thrashed and even if you get them clean they will not ever look pretty again but Ive great luck with wheels like that using a combination of heavy duty rubbing compound,red clay magic( super aggressive clay) and laquer thinner in that order Thinner being the last resort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did my dentist`s MB S500 that had flithy front rims (on a MB? really?) I used wheel brite 4:1 and a toothbrush - ironic eh
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drdetail View Post
    I ordered the Brown Royal and it wasn`t as good as the videos I saw on youtube or any before or after pictures. I even tried without diluting just to see how strong it really is with no luck. Wasn`t making the dirt come off like melted butter on knife as others posted.
    Interesting..I;ve been curious to try this out. How long did you let it dwell? (I think it needs several minutes of dwell time from what I`ve read).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    I did my dentist`s MB S500 that had flithy front rims (on a MB? really?) I used wheel brite 4:1 and a toothbrush - ironic eh
    Especially if it was his personal one from inside his glove box!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a couple of before and after pics from this weekend. I used Brown Royal full strength, but had sprayed the wheels heavily with water and lightly with BR, so it probably came out to about 1:1. I know it`s not scientific but I`m all out of empty sprayers to dilute it, sorry! These wheels are off a 2006 Jetta, with almost 90k miles on it and I doubt they`ve ever been really cleaned before.

I finally broke down and tried some of this stuff. No, it`s not a spray and rinse product like the videos show. But it doesn`t require much agitation to do the job either. Just a Daytona wheel brush and a few swipes and you`re done. It`s probably only marginally safer than an acid, since it`s a HIGH ph product, so precautions are a good idea. But it DOES do what it says, and in all honesty, I`ve seen Megs WB require the same amount of elbow grease on beat up wheels too.

And Richy, I didn`t let it dwell more than a minute or so before agitating. Everything still came off easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats pretty impressive Mike. Did the product take away any of the shine from the clearcoat ? Im asuming you used polish or wax also afterwards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Thats pretty impressive Mike. Did the product take away any of the shine from the clearcoat ? Im asuming you used polish or wax also afterwards?
    I don`t believe it took anything from the shine. There was no cloudiness afterward if that`s what you mean. I didn`t polish them, but I wiped them down with Aquawax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information