Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and wheel well question

The wheel wells of my truck have not been cleaned in forever. They don`t have caked on mud but they are really grundgy from all the driving that I do. I would like to clean but I don`t have a pw. Even if I did, I don`t think I would use it to clean the wells. I`ve discovered that my Boss rims are delicate and I wouldn`t want any fall out to ruin the finish. As it stands, they already have light scratches where I used a car wash brush on them. Needless to say I now clean them by hand with a soft towel or tee. Does anyone know of a cleaner that I could use for the wells? Any recommendations for a wheel cleaner and any ideas on how I could eliminate the scratches would be greatly appreciated. The finish on the wheels is black chrome. Thanks, amigos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel wells are one of those areas where you can get your aggressions out. I use a stiff nylon brush and a good all purpose cleaner. Ideally, you would remove the wheel first, support your truck with a jack stand and go to town.

You don`t need a pressure washer to do this job, just some elbow grease, a couple of good brushes and a good cleaner. Try something like Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner or a good APC you know of. Spray liberally, let it do its thing for a minute then scrub away. Rinse very thoroughly and redo if needed.

I use brushes like these for wheel wells: http://www.properautocare.com/br-42.html

EFHI: http://www.properautocare.com/hi-c32.html

Removing your wheels will allow you to polish them by hand one at a time. This is the best way to get them looking their best. You might need a couple of light polishes to remove those scratches, I don`t know without seeing them first. Start with only soap and water to clean them, only use a wheel cleaner if they are very grimey. Use a soft brush or mitt only, buy one and use it on the wheels only. Tires get a stiff brush, some soap and water and maybe EFHI diluted to remove old dressing.

I do this ritual once a year and maintain the best I can the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding wheel wells, I mix about a 50/50 mix of a cheap car soap (Meg`s Deep Crystal Wash, or Turtle Wax Ice) with an APC (such as Adam`s APC), and put it in my Gilmour foam gun. I then thoroughly spray the wheel wells with this, and let it dwell. I`ll then rinse with plain water, and reapply the mixture with the foam gun. Next, I agitate with a wheel well brush, and rinse.

This works fairly well for me. Just pay attention to the label on the APC to make sure you select one that doesn`t mention being detrimental to your specific wheel finish.

As Bret said, it is best to remove the wheels, and thoroughly clean them by hand. But, when there isn`t time for that, I use the method above.

Post Thanks / Like
    As noted, Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intenstiy Cleaner is great for wheel wells, is not acidic, and will not ruin the finish of your wheels (it can be used a moderate-high strength wheel cleaner as well).

Regarding the scratches in your wheels, are they chrome, aluminum, coated aluminum, painted or anodized?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    Regarding wheel wells, I mix about a 50/50 mix of a cheap car soap (Meg`s Deep Crystal Wash, or Turtle Wax Ice) with an APC (such as Adam`s APC), and put it in my Gilmour foam gun. I then thoroughly spray the wheel wells with this, and let it dwell. I`ll then rinse with plain water, and reapply the mixture with the foam gun. Next, I agitate with a wheel well brush, and rinse.
    I do the same thing. I feel same thing goes for wheel wells as wheels. If you maintain them properly, all you really need is soap and water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    As noted, Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intenstiy Cleaner is great for wheel wells, is not acidic, and will not ruin the finish of your wheels (it can be used a moderate-high strength wheel cleaner as well).

Regarding the scratches in your wheels, are they chrome, aluminum, coated aluminum, painted or anodized?
    Thanks for the great advice, all. th0001, I`m not sure what they are to be honest with you. I went to the Boss web site and wasn`t able to find out what they were. I`ll try to google them and hopefully be able to find out what they`re made out of. Btw, your photos were awesome. How bad was the scratch on the Ferrari? How long did it take to repair/correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great thread, is there a `release` agent that I can use, after I get the area cleaned, to help the mud come off easier in the future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Another great thread, is there a `release` agent that I can use, after I get the area cleaned, to help the mud come off easier in the future?
    While there isn`t a release agent (that I know of) so to speak (I assume you are speaking about the wheel wells) you could try 1Z`s Tiefenpflegeher. Tiefenpflegeher is a dressing that `drys` clean, leaving a completely slick, non greasy finish. I have been using it for the wheel wells of my HHR, spraying it on, letting it soak for a minute or so, then buffing to an even sheen. It will dry a short while after.

On my Chevrolet HHR, which has exposed wheel wells, I have noticed that not only do they look natural and dark, but they clean with a quick blast from my pressure washer. I would think this would give you a nice `barrier` from mud and grime from sticking on your vehicle as well (not to mention making them look great as well).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    When I used to work for a sprint car racing team, we`d use a product called Mudd Off. I`d spray it all over the car before it went out on the track. When it came back into the pits, the mud would easily scrape off. If I could let the mud dry a bit, I could simply tap on the panels and the mud would fall right off.

There is a competitor product called Mud X that does the same thing. I always wondered what was in this stuff but it does work.

TOGWT
    Wheel Wells
    Periodically remove the wheels (one at a time utilizing a car jack and / or axle stands) to enable cleaning the back of the wheel, callipers and give better access to the wheel wells. Ensure that the vehicle body is secure by placing on axle stands.
    ?Rinse wheel well thoroughly with water.
    ?Use a 1:1 solution of P21 Total Auto Wash a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner and water in a spray bottle, spray the wheel wells and let the solution dwell for 3-5 min
    ?Agitate and brush the road dirt / grime the wheel well and suspension parts, brake callipers, etc
    ?Spray the area thoroughly with a high pressure water spray
    ?Remove any road asphalt with a safe solvent (Stoners Tarminator)
    ?Repeat if necessary
    ?Use P21S Polishing Soap on all metal parts (taking care to avoid the brakes)
    ?Rinse using a high pressure hose / nozzle to remove soap residue
    ?I recommended wearing rubber gloves, once finished, rinse the wheel wells and dry them with an old terry towel.
    ?Once they have thoroughly dried spray them with 1z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant, Adam?s Undercarriage Detailer or Chemical Guys Bare Bones (avoid spraying the brake rotor) which leaves a matt finished look without grease and also provides a protection for the plastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever used WD-40 in the wheel wells? Supposed to have the same look as an under carriage spray. Any opinions? May look ok just not sure if it would help or hurt in any other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    C`mon...anybody out there? Curious to know if anyone else heard of spraying WD-40 in the wheel wells!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information