Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: break dust

Post Thanks / Like

break dust

how do you remove the caked on brake dust that shows up after you clean the wheels . i`ve tried everything . thanks

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A very good washing of the rims (remove them) and then you can go with a sealant or Wheel Wax. That way it`s so easy to rinse off. You will always get brake dust, but this should help to keep it down some and easy to remove.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of car do you drive? I have found that some seem to create more dust than others. That being said I agree with zoomzoom, I waxed my wheels and it makes cleaning them a breeze on the next wash.

If you are only using soap and water and that isnt enough before moving up try some brushes to agitate it. If you feel you need a cleaner some of the Meguairs rim cleaners have worked pretty well or you could use some P21s wheel gel.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I`ve changed all my brake pads to low-dusting "Thermo-Quiet" pads by Wagner. I can`t believe the difference in the amount of brake dust. With the Thermo-Quiet pads there is hardly any dust, even after a week of driving...

Now for cleaning dust. On the wheels, once they are clean, I use either Wheel Wax or ClearSeal.

Easy to clean with car wash soap and water. Just don`t let them go too long. (weekly is best.)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magictouch100 View Post
    how do you remove the caked on brake dust that shows up after you clean the wheels . i`ve tried everything . thanks
    Hi Magic, are you refering to the caked on the brake dust that is impossible to remove with washing, or the type of brake dust that shows up right after you remove the car, but is easy to remove?

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    First off, I`ve changed all my brake pads to low-dusting "Thermo-Quiet" pads by Wagner. I can`t believe the difference in the amount of brake dust. With the Thermo-Quiet pads there is hardly any dust, even after a week of driving...

Now for cleaning dust. On the wheels, once they are clean, I use either Wheel Wax or ClearSeal.

Easy to clean with car wash soap and water. Just don`t let them go too long. (weekly is best.)
    Where did you find these pads?? I have a Grand Caravan that is asking for a set due to the EXTREME amounts of dust put off by the stock pads..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Altimazzz View Post
    Where did you find these pads?? I have a Grand Caravan that is asking for a set due to the EXTREME amounts of dust put off by the stock pads..
    O`Reilly Auto Parts. I have them on the Corvette, Trans Am and the GTP.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes its the little spots after you remove the first layer of brake dust .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Altimazzz View Post
    I had major dusting issues with my IS350 and Lexus offered a free change to ceramic pads which is the ONLY way to go as far as I`m concerned.

I tried dedicated wheel waxes, sealants etc... and nothing worked well. Changing the pads was the answer.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy that runs the shop were I get my Benz worked on swears by the Wagner pads. When my SL is due, I`m switching. The brake dust is breaking my spirit!

Speaking of long term brake dust, here is a shot of the reverse side of one of the OEM wheels from the Benz. 22 years of crud. I tried to clean them with little success, so because of this and the fronts being chipped, I`m sending them to a local wheel refurbishing company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    O`Reilly Auto Parts. I have them on the Corvette, Trans Am and the GTP.
    Thanks Bill..:notworthy::notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of long term brake dust, here is a shot of the reverse side of one of the OEM wheels from the Benz. 22 years of crud. I tried to clean them with little success, so because of this and the fronts being chipped, I`m sending them to a local wheel refurbishing company.

[/QUOTE]

I just purchased a used 2000 528iT and this is not unlike what I`m looking at on the interior side of the wheels. I tried Simple Green with very limited impact; then I tried a Meguiar`s Wheel Cleaner with slightly better success, but the results were "spotty". I finally gave up with essentially a 50% impact. There must be some kind of tool/process/product that would work to get the remaining baked on 50% off, isn`t there?

Does it have to be sand-papered off? Sand-blasted off? Chemically stripped off? What is the next step? (I am clear about preventing and maintaining once the grunge work is complete.)
    TIA, Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    [I]. I tried Simple Green with very limited impact; then I tried a Meguiar`s Wheel Cleaner with slightly better success, but the results were "spotty". I finally gave up with essentially a 50% impact. There must be some kind of tool/process/product that would work to get the remaining baked on 50% off, isn`t there?

Does it have to be sand-papered off? Sand-blasted off? Chemically stripped off? What is the next step? (I am clear about preventing and maintaining once the grunge work is complete.)
    TIA, Nick
    Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener. It`s an extremely strong and excellent product.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Those wheels are bad!!! I think I would cry if I had to do those

TOGWT
    Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener is a strong acid, Ammonium bifluoride SiO2 (ABF) pH 5.0. Even with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar`s) results in a pH 4.5 solution. This product requires certain safety measures be taken; eye protection, respirator and gloves. For these reasons Meguiar`s markets this product to professionals.

You should only apply to cool wheels (or it will become a strong vapour, you?ll also need to wet down cement as it can stain it. Do not use this product if the clear coat on your wheel has been compromised by rock chips, hitting a curb etc as WB could permeate the clear coat (or polished wheel surface) fogging or permanently staining the surface.(The statement made by Megs is that it?s a ?Professional Product? whatever that means, as it can be purchased by anyone)

Ammonium Hydrogen Fluoride
    Other names: Ammonium bifluoride (ABF) Ammonium hydrofluoride,

Ammonium acid fluoride

[: Ammonium hydrogen fluoride is the inorganic compound with the formula NH4HF2. It is produced from ammonia and hydrogen fluoride]

One of the most common, and potentially dangerous, wheel cleaners; its effectiveness removing brake dust and difficult contaminants from chrome wheels is undisputed, but some chemists say ABF presents an unjustifiable and potentially lethal risk to carwash operators and their employees.
    Industry experts say that the dangers of ABF are clearly outlined on the chemical`s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), and many consciously ignore the obvious risks because ABF is cost effective and reliable.

However, some manufacturers and operators worry that ABF is being marketed as a safe alternative to highly-corrosive hydrofluoric acid (HF), even though the two chemicals pose nearly identical health risks. Experts say that some operators have been lead to believe that ABF is [up to 20 times safer] than HF and that this misinformation may be causing a time bomb at hundreds of carwashes

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information