Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: break dust

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also recommend wearing rubber/latex gloves when using acid-based wheel cleaners. I`ve had my fingernails damaged by some acid products.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Protection from Potential Health Hazards

1. Eye Protection: I would strongly advise the wearing of safety glasses when operating any machine polisher.
    2. Other Protective Equipment: The constant pitch of a polishing machine could affect your hearing so wearing ear plugs would be wise to protect you from hearing loss.
    3. Respiratory Protection: Materials such as aluminium oxide (Aluminium oxide is on EPA`s TRI list if it is a fibrous form) or silicon carbide (Nuisance particulate-Accumulation in lungs ) used in polishes and compounds, and powdered fillers (Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis) represents a hazard to your lungs and a respirator should be worn while using them
    4.Protective Gloves: With the verity of chemicals a detailer uses on a daily basis wearing Latex cloves will protect your hands
    5.Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS): Use a ring binder or other filing system to ensure the appropriate MSDS is always available to identify hazardous substances
    6.Work Hygienic Practices: Rinse cloves under clean running water before removing them
    7.Environmental Commitment: always responsibly dispose of all non-biodegradable materials from your vehicle cleaning in a responsible manner

Post Thanks / Like
    On really bad rims I use this method, let the wheels cool, then wash with a pressure washer to get the surface crud. I use Megs Wheel Bright 3:1 (that dire warning from 2001 - car wash world, doesn`t scare me, nor do I think Megs would sell anything too strong in this sue yo mamma world) spray the WB, scrub with a soft brush, then rinse with water, then I spray Majestic Solutions Super Green (alkaline) to equal out the acid, then scrub with a soapy brush, rinse with water and inspect.

TOGWT
    That `scare` article was about the use of Hydrofluoric acid ( which is one of the most corrosive acids out there (concentrated solutions of hydrofluoric acid pass quickly through the skin and cause deep, painful burns, even death) like they say `a cleaner to die for`.

An MSDS is not meant to scare you, just make you aware of what chemical`s ( hazardous or otherwise) that a product is formulated from.

http://www.sparkleauto.com/msds/meguiars/D140.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you take too much Tylenal your liver dies, too much aspirin and your stomach gets an ulcer, etc - you can even die from drinking too much water - it`s true, a few years ago there was a white trash family that killed one of their kids by making him drink too much water - and they went to prison for it. My point is have a little common sense, unfortunitely government schools have just about eliminated that quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    My point is have a little common sense, unfortunitely government schools have just about eliminated that quality.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Luster! How about a quote from H.L. Mencken:

"The erroneous assumption is to the effort that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence...Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such montebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information