Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Power Ball...

I bought the Mothers Power ball to use on my Corvette wheels. They are non-clear-coated polished aluminum that need to be re-polished 2-3 times per year. (These are the wheels

I really felt the Power Ball would reduce the amount of labor involved in polishing these wheels.

Here are my findings:

1. In the case of this particular wheel style, it`s best to apply the metal polish directly to the wheel and smear it in with a finger, rather than placing polish on the ball.

2. Begin the polishing process on the wheel... The soft, foam nature of the Power Ball tends to catch and tear on the sharp rectangular holes in the wheels.

3. After polishing, the polish residue must be buffed off with a Microfiber.

4. The end result was good, but no better than hand polishing.

5. Possibly, for other wheel styles, this tool would work better.

Would I pay the $25 and buy it again? No.

Perhaps I`ll find another use for the ball, but for now I`ll stick with hand polishing.

What`s your experience with the Power Ball?
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice review Bill. I was curious about these Powerballs. I think they have one for paint as well, Powerball4paint its called.

Maybe try it on an exhaust pipe.:smile:
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    nice review Bill. I was curious about these Powerballs. I think they have one for paint as well, Powerball4paint its called.

Maybe try it on an exhaust pipe.:smile:
    Hey Nick... If you have a PC or rotary, I wouldn`t waste any money on the PowerBall4Paint!

If you already have the PowerBall, you could give it a try on the exhaust tips, but I really don`t know if it`s worth the cost for the results you get!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the mini on a couple sets of wheels (2). Typically I take the wheels off the car because I have a habit of slinging polish all over the place. I think it has its place but the mini does a decent cleaning job up the wheels, not so much polishing. As you said Luster, you still need to wipe them down. Hand polishing might get the same results but your fingers aren`t bruised bleeding by the time your down with the power ball.

I am with Luster, would I buy it again? Nope
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that the large one is too big for most stuff, but I use the mini Power Ball a lot (exhaust, wheels, snowmobiles, etc.). The foam does get cut up on sharp edges, but I found some of the two pack refills for $2.00, so I just use them up. It works good with the Blue Magic metal polish or M105. A corded drill might work faster, but it may really shred the foam ball.

I do have the Flitz buff ball, too, but haven`t used it yet. It looks like it will hold up better than the foam set up from Mothers.

Randy
    This space for rent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it for doing my snowmobile tunnel. Works good for what it is and my tunnel gets beat up a lot since I ride a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Perhaps I`ll find another use for the ball, but for now I`ll stick with hand polishing.
    Didn`t work worth crap for my application either.

I did find something that produces excellent results and is easy enough to use that you`ll do your wheels more often and avoid the black, smeary drudgery. P21S polishing soap was recommended to me and before I ordered it I noticed the local H-D dealer had the S100 equivalent for about half the price..

Using the provided applicator you just wet it, give a light rub over the top of the polish, give it a suds-producing squeeze and work over the aluminum. No black gunk all over the place... it ends up in the pad which rinses clean. I did one wheel with the S100, one with Nevr Dull, one with Wenol red and the other with Megs Mag & Aluminum polish. All turned out excellent, the S100 polishing soap wheel look as good as any and was a LOT easier. Your mileage may vary....

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    But Chip Foose makes it look so easy... Especially if your going for a cruize..

The Power Ball is a good product, but only on particular rim sytles, IMO. It is a soft foam (think Gold Concours) so it isn`t going to bite a lot, but it is perfect for the enthusiast who isn`t a detailer, if that makes sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    but it is perfect for the enthusiast who isn`t a detailer, if that makes sense?
    I go to a lot of car shows..... so I know a lot of those guys!!! ut:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve avoided trying any of the foam ball attachments because I am afraid of slinging polish all over. The new one that is supposedly for buffing the paint scares the bejesus out of me. I can just see someone using this, lying the drill and foam ball down on the driveway to take a break, then picking it up and starting in again. :w00t: The commercials always make it look easy - they have to in order to SELL.

I appreciate the candid comments - we have to call`em like we see`em if we`re ever going to sort out all of the gimmicks from the real tools.

Bill, maybe you could score some points inside the house and use that ball and some oven cleaner to spruce up the oven in the kitchen!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one of the mini power balls years ago, never use it - but I may try it on my wife`s wheels (Toyota Highlander 19") to get the inside polished up.

TOGWT
    +1 for P21S Polishing Soap (a clay-based polish that applies with its own sponge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slik560 View Post
    I`ve avoided trying any of the foam ball attachments because I am afraid of slinging polish all over. The new one that is supposedly for buffing the paint scares the bejesus out of me. I can just see someone using this, lying the drill and foam ball down on the driveway to take a break, then picking it up and starting in again. !
    Well, I think Todd hit the nail on the head stating that the Power Ball is for Car Enthusiasts who aren`t detailers.

But you couldn`t pay me enough to put one of those balls on my PAINT!!!StopStopStop

As far as slinging polish, when I polish my wheels, I put a pea-sized drop of polish on my finger, then lightly "dot" it around the rim at 6" intervals. It will take 2 or 3 drops to do the entire wheel.

Then with my fingers, I smear the "dots" on the wheel, before I use the Power Ball on the wheels.

I`m kinda into being neat.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Well, I think Todd hit the nail on the head stating that the Power Ball is for Car Enthusiasts who aren`t detailers.

But you couldn`t pay me enough to put one of those balls on my PAINT!!!StopStopStop

As far as slinging polish, when I polish my wheels, I put a pea-sized drop of polish on my finger, then lightly "dot" it around the rim at 6" intervals. It will take 2 or 3 drops to do the entire wheel.

Then with my fingers, I smear the "dots" on the wheel, before I use the Power Ball on the wheels.

I`m kinda into being neat.
    I can assure you that the Power Ball for paint is made from some the highest quality imported polishing pad foam in the world. While they might not fit guys like us who use rotaries and powerful machines, for the guy at home who wants very shiny paint and wants to do something special with out dropping an arm and a leg on a machine, it makes sense.

Besides its perfect for a car show or just going for a cruuuzzzzee (Chip Foose rocks)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had both for about a year and never used it. I saw Luster post and thought to myself why keep it? So I just returned it back to Walmart for store credit a couple of days ago. :w00t:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information