Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    The reason most tire dressings sling all over the paint, car, road, kitty cat walking across the street, the neighbor`s dog (which can be good if the dog constantly uses your yard as his toilet), girl scout selling cookies, etc is because of miss application on a dirty tire.

Like anything in the detailing world, proper prep is key to getting the best possible results. Unfortunately most people (think high volume detail shops and the average person washing their car once a season) will never take the time to properly prep the tire and clean it. Products aimed to these markets (most consumer and volume tire dressings) are pretty thick in silicone and are designed to create a wet thick shine that covers up all the dirt and grime on the tire. Some of this stuff creates a layer of goop so thick you can actually make a dent it with your fingernail.

The truth is the cleaning tires can be messy, and depending on the amount and type of dressings previously used, it can be time consuming.

Start with fresh, clean rubber. Use a dedicated tire cleaner such as Eimann Fabrik`s Tire Cleaner. In general a tire brush such as Meguiar`s Versa Angle Tire Brush will work well to clean the the tire, but with some real nasty old dressings (try removing Black Magic for example) you might need a stiff wire bristle brush. Wet the tire, spray with tire cleaner, and scrub. Then wash off with pressure.

Once the rubber is clean, use your favorite tire dressing and apply thinly. All to often tire dressings are over applied in the famous mentality that if a little is good, more is better. Apply thin and if you need more coverage apply a second coat later. By applying the dressing to fresh rubber and giving a surface to bond to you will greatly limit an sling, which is non-bonded excessive dressing.
    I agree with this statement. I`ll add one thing to it, once tire dressing dries (about 1 hour after you apply it), best thing is to buff it off with a MF towel. This way you really reduce chances of it slinging off...

Post Thanks / Like

Tire dressing - the best

I have been detailing my cars for 20 years now, and I just found the best tire dressing: Zaino Z16.

It is the best I`ve used ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrosen View Post
    I have been detailing my cars for 20 years now, and I just found the best tire dressing: Zaino Z16.

It is the best I`ve used ever.
    And if you want a product that`s almost identical, but cheaper per use, check out the Meg`s Hyper Dressing. You can dilute it to the desired shine and it works almost identically to the Zaino stuff. They even smell similar...

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like Z16. I haven`t tryed Meg`s Hyper, but I use quite a bit of tire dressing (anal about nice black tires on ALL my vehicles!!! :thumbup...

So maybe my wife will buy me some Hyper Dressing for Father`s Day!!!:tongue::tongue::tongue:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Meg`s Hyperdressing for most things but tires isn`t one of the them. I would say that in some regards it is similar to Z16, but it doesn`t last 1/10th as long for me personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Meg`s Hyperdressing for most things but tires isn`t one of the them. I would say that in some regards it is similar to Z16, but it doesn`t last 1/10th as long for me personally.
    What are your other uses for Hyperdressing?
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had great luck with the Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro. Great stuff with a subdued finish, since I did not want the glossy look for my 15" Bridgestones. No sling at all, but I totally agree that it`s all in the prep. I use Griots Rubber Cleaner and Rubber Prep before putting on the Surf City product, but getting the tires clean first is #1.

Speaking of sling, the worst that I`ve ever seen is the stuff our local MB dealer puts on if they wash the car after service. (I always refuse) I swear they use Crisco. ut:

Post Thanks / Like
    Really?

do you just do one coat?

I find that if I do a coat, let it sit for a bit, and go over it again with another light coat that it lasts really well. I wonder how much of things like this lasting have to do with climate.

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    What are your other uses for Hyperdressing?
    I know this wasn`t aimed at me, but I`ll answer. I like it for engine dressing, wheel wells.

My buddy really likes to put it on the upper door sections on his M6 where it is leather because he finds that it creates a nice coating that will last well even when he puts his elbows on it while driving. He dilutes that to the 4:1 ratio to get the nice matte finish.

What about you th0001? What do you use it for?
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D!Tailed View Post
    I like it for engine dressing, wheel wells.

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm.....:thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    For perfectly prepped tires, nothing (IMHO) beats two coats of Z16.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow.. alot of info to take in account. Im sure most of my issues is my technique. I`ll try that hyper dressing.. maybe what I`ll do is try and use less and try and dry the tire after the 1st application. Zaino stuff is nice but alittle over priced.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that Black Magik-Platinum, Matte tire finish is very good. It doesnt sling off at all, has a low-gloss shine, and lasts severel weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Altimazzz View Post
    I have found that Black Magik-Platinum, Matte tire finish is very good. It doesnt sling off at all, has a low-gloss shine, and lasts severel weeks.
    I tried this product once and while it didnt sling, it didnt give a black matte look for me.

maybe its just my tires.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it took about 3 applications, but after that my tires stayed black all the time, even after cleaning. They didnt turn gray.....My tires are Toyo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information