Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning inner wheel barrels

Posted here, there & everywhere....

What we have here are OEM coated, cast aluminum wheels from a 2004 GMC Sierra. They`ve seen 60k+ and 5 Ohio winters without ever getting a really thorough cleaning inside and out.

The outer wheels are in pretty decent shape with just a few defects in the coating where wheel weights have been attached. They clean up well and take a shine, they`re rarely left very cruddy for long periods. The inner barrels are a different story though.

Believe me, the pics are AFTER cleaning attempts! They were pitch black before!

My primary goal is to clean these up as well as possible and apply sealant and do `em once a year every Spring. The visible portions through the holes in the front detract a bit from the overall appearance.

In attempting to clean the inner barrel I first tried a generous dose of P21S Gel and let it dwell for an hour. Then I then scrubbed the surface crud with a wheel brush getting close to the results shown. Thinking I needed something considerably stouter I applied Purple Power APC full strength and let it dwell taking care that I didn`t get any of this nasty stuff on the front of the wheels. Not much improvement.

I then attempted a few other things in spots..... of everything I tried a Brillo pad produced the most favorable result with a TON of scrubbing. I also gave a PowerBall a whirl with Wenol red, Meg`s Mag & Aluminum Polish and other lesser products with the best results appearing near the openings where exterior cleaning may have kept them from getting as bad as the rest of the barrel. At this rate using the products and methods I`ve attempted thus far I might get some decent results if I kept at it for a week or so........ per wheel, probably! There`s gotta be a better way....

I`d appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions that might lead to some improvement. I don`t expect perfection after 5 years of neglect but I`d like to improve the appearance, at least what`s visible from the outside of the wheel.

Thanks in advance...... TL

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend wheel acid, but if your not use to using it, then please don`t. You can try this: http://www.properautocare.com/mewhbr.html, But always be very careful when using products like these. Maybe someone has found a more safer product to use.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried claying them

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old fart not thinking, yes I agreed with Jay, try claying them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Old fart not thinking, yes I agreed with Jay, try claying them.
    Old-fart minds think alike.... clay didn`t occur to me either. We`ll give that a go and see what happens.

Meg`s Wheel Brightener has been recommended elsewhere as well. Last resort methinks. On first look the inner barrels don`t *appear* to be coated. There are some very faint lines in the finish that follow the circumference of the wheel... possibly etched? If there`s amy coating on the inner it`s markedly different than the high-gloss finish on the outer.

Thanks youse guys... TL

Thread Information