Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michelin Uptis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michelin Uptis

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    But, there certainly is the opportunity for millions of Level 2 charging stations, in people`s garages. And I think (at least around where I live), people underestimate the number of charging stations there currently are. I know I saw a row of 10 or 15 some years ago in a rest stop on the NY Thruway (upstate), again some years ago in a local hotel parking garage, they had 2 or 3, and my above mention of my usual gas station has 4 plugs (two that look like Tesla, and 2 standard), which is a fair number considering they only have 8 gas hoses. My friends tell me the new Wawa (regional 7-11 kind of place) has a row of electric chargers, also.
    The homeless will somehow manage to salvage something out of the chargers.

Post Thanks / Like

The point where is all this electricity for EV`s going to come from? Solar? Not up north in the winter.
    Wind turbines? We have lawsuits in Wisconsin as to their causing personal heath issues to those who live close to "fields" of them from low-level vibration and frequency humming from the electric generators and turbine blades moving through the air. To me it`s kinda like the tobacco industry and its insistence for many years in the 40`s, 50`s and early 60`s that smoking did not lead to chronic heath issues. We know better today.

EV`s are here to stay, as are hybrids. AND with the current fossil fuel environmental issues and crude oil market prices, electricity is a viable alternative energy source. How much of the electricity can be generated AND distributed to meet that vehicle demand is the question and factor to that "viability" and it will definitively be price-dependent within a supply-and-demand economy.

By the way, wait until you get your utilities bill in the coming months. There are four major energy types; 1) Crude oil; 2) Natural gas; 3) Electricity; 4) Coal (and in some limited respects Uranium). When one type of energy increases in price, so do the others. Thery`re all interdependent and market related.

BACK to the airless tire.
    Here`s the question: Would you buy it and drive on it on your vehicle IF it were available for your personal vehicle?
    Like I say, there are A LOT of great questions/concerns being raised here about it.
    Personally, I have a wait-and-see attitude on this new tire technology. The concept sound greats.
    That`s what I thought about Lake County Power Tools User-Definable Orbital Stroke (UDOS) buffing machine. Great concept! Took a long time to develop and finally bring to market. When it did, its initial cost and weight seemed to negate all the benefits it was suppose to have. Poor execution or too high a price? Again, would YOU buy such a buffing machine for your correcting and polishing detailing?
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The point where is all this electricity for EV`s going to come from? Solar? Not up north in the winter.
    Wind turbines? We have lawsuits in Wisconsin as to their causing personal heath issues to those who live close to "fields" of them from low-level vibration and frequency humming from the electric generators and turbine blades moving through the air. To me it`s kinda like the tobacco industry and its insistence for many years in the 40`s, 50`s and early 60`s that smoking did not lead to chronic heath issues. We know better today.
    Energy independence is one of the major challenges to humanity. And we won’t be able to shift too quickly. But one thing I know from industry is efficiencies are gained in bulk. Will we be more efficient improving our energy grid and powering more electric cars or continuing with more distributed gasoline powered cars. As always happens when gas gets expensive, there will be a shift to more efficient cars; gas, hybrids, and electric, but that will take time too. One thing I know is humans are capable of making the necessary shifts though I’m not sure our politics of today will have the willpower to make the shift until it becomes an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    BACK to the airless tire.
    Here`s the question: Would you buy it and drive on it on your vehicle IF it were available for your personal vehicle?
    Like I say, there are A LOT of great questions/concerns being raised here about it.
    Personally, I have a wait-and-see attitude on this new tire technology. The concept sound greats.
    That`s what I thought about Lake County Power Tools User-Definable Orbital Stroke (UDOS) buffing machine. Great concept! Took a long time to develop and finally bring to market. When it did, its initial cost and weight seemed to negate all the benefits it was suppose to have. Poor execution or too high a price? Again, would YOU buy such a buffing machine for your correcting and polishing detailing?
    Ultimately, there has to be an advantage with new technology. You’ll get some early adoption as there are always some of those but the benefits will have to significantly outweigh the negatives before there is widespread adoption. Cost will always be more expensive with new technology so there would have to be some benefits over regular tires without any real negatives. I doubt the first version will be a commercial success, unfortunately. I just hope it doesn’t set back the concept if it might have a legitimate future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information