Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and drums - coating

So I`m intent on doing the prep and coating process this weekend. Going to coat the tires and wheels. I don`t have a lift and don`t feel like removing the tires. For the wheel drums/barrels, would you still recommend coating them (difficult accessibility) or use a spray sealant and call it a day?
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheels and drums - coating

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    So I`m intent on doing the prep and coating process this weekend. Going to coat the tires and wheels. I don`t have a lift and don`t feel like removing the tires. For the wheel drums/barrels, would you still recommend coating them (difficult accessibility) or use a spray sealant and call it a day?
    inquiring minds want to know! Have this on my to-do list in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a spray and rinse sealant like hydro blue, and call it day. It will get in the barrels and places you can`t access. Work smarter, not harder.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.YIw1n-2SnIU
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Old Pirate, iamcmf liked this post
    Thanks bob m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personal vehicle or customer?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don`t coat wheels unless I can take them off the vehicle and do the whole thing all at once. The only time I don`t do this is if I`m trying out a new product and then I`ll just do the easy to reach facing areas.

You don`t have to do it all at once. Just jack up the car and do a wheel at a time as able. It also gets you a chance to clean up the brake calipers while your at it.

The Spray and Rise sealants might be an option. I`ve only used the DP product and wasn`t real impressed, but there are several other products on the market like it which might work better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    I would use a spray and rinse sealant like hydro blue, and call it day. It will get in the barrels and places you can`t access. Work smarter, not harder.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.YIw1n-2SnIU
    It may be a lot of work but worth it. For example I put 22ple VM1 on my dad`s wheels almost 3.5 years ago and it is still going. Lost a little of its hydrophobics in some areas but still alive. Stuff is legit for me. Thanks to Sizzle for suggesting this to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Personally, I don`t coat wheels unless I can take them off the vehicle and do the whole thing all at once. The only time I don`t do this is if I`m trying out a new product and then I`ll just do the easy to reach facing areas.

You don`t have to do it all at once. Just jack up the car and do a wheel at a time as able. It also gets you a chance to clean up the brake calipers while your at it.

The Spray and Rise sealants might be an option. I`ve only used the DP product and wasn`t real impressed, but there are several other products on the market like it which might work better.
    Exactly one doesn`t have to coat everything in one day. Over a weekend is not so bad. I am not a fan of these spray and rinse. They seem to attract more dirt and grime than a true coating.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I couldn`t pull the wheels I`d skip the coating and spend the $$$ saved on a nice color changing or acid-based wheel cleaner. Wheel faces I`d just maintain with whatever spray wax/sealant I had laying around while I dried them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Personal vehicle or customer?
    Personal - my Mazda CX-5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Personal - my Mazda CX-5.
    If it were me I would fully coat them and skip on those spray sealants. I mentioned it another thread that it is more work up front but less maintenance long term. I am over 3 years on a wheel coating and maintenance is simple. Wash with soap and water and I hit them with the drying aid that I am using on that particular car.

Spray and rinse are short term and from my experience they attract more dirt than a true coating.

You don`t necessarily need to do everything in one day or weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If it were me I would fully coat them and skip on those spray sealants. I mentioned it another thread that it is more work up front but less maintenance long term. I am over 3 years on a wheel coating and maintenance is simple. Wash with soap and water and I hit them with the drying aid that I am using on that particular car.

Spray and rinse are short term and from my experience they attract more dirt than a true coating.

You don`t necessarily need to do everything in one day or weekend.
    Just do the faces if you don’t want to remove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes bob m, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think coating wheels is a waste of time. The biggest impact you can have towards clean wheels is running low dust ceramic pads. After that, I just clean wheels/barrels with HydroFoam. Clean & protect in 1 product - zero extra work. It’s all you need to clean wheels running ceramic pads.

If you pressure wash them first, you really only need to wipe them down, if that. This is assuming you are starting with clean wheels that aren’t trashed. I haven’t bought a “wheel cleaner” in years. This is all based on your own personal car - obviously if it’s someone else car you can’t control what brakes they are running

I don’t like coatings - because they will fail. And some areas will fail quickly & other won’t. You will have to pull the wheels & redo it again eventually & it’s a huge hassle. And don’t get me started about “coating maintenance” lol.

I prefer to use what is easy & easily renewable opposed to something that is supposed to last years. Because we know most claims are exaggerated & easy is always easy.

Thread Information