Post Thanks / Like

any way to preserve these wheels

I picked up a 2007 Lincoln Towncar. Has the 18 spoke chrome wheels. Inside of the barrel has silver paint over chrome (poorish shape). I removed the paint and cleaned the wheels thoroughly, a light metal polish to remove the remaining brake dust stains in the recesses on the front. However, a bigger problem is there are several to many areas where the chrome is starting to bubble on the interior of the wheels, some have cracked open exposing the wheel beneath. This is just an around town beater, but I do not want to watch the wheels destroy themselves, nor do I want to replace/refinish the wheels. If I can get them to "stop" right where the corrosion currently sits, I`d be satisfied.

What method would be the best to accomplish this? The bubbles are mostly hidden when looking from the outside so I can manage an ugly fix. Currently the bubbles are thoroughly cleaned and rinsed, with no chemical residue left from removing the paint so I have a little time. I`m considering packing the bubbles with Naval Jelly and just letting it cure in place. I`ve used it before on trailer repairs where function was more important. Is this a way that I could (hopefully) chemically stop the reactions on the insides of the bubbles? Are there any other steps that I could take? I do want to avoid physically removing the bubbles if possible.

It`s been a hot minute since I`ve been on this forum, but haven`t really had anything that warranted more than standard care. This new car does clean up well, kind of got me excited to get back into it, though I spent 8 hours I didn`t have working on 3 of 4 wheels yesterday.

Attempting to upload images.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: any way to preserve these wheels

ogre01- Welcome back!

If the failing chrome is only in the barrels, I`d probably repaint those areas with something that`ll work over mild surface rust. After prepping right (and being careful to not mess up areas that show while doing that...gotta get the surface ready to accept paint or it`ll peel off the still-OK chrome), I`d use something like Eastwood`s newest Rust Encapsulator, which *IIRC* comes in a silver. The nice thing about Eastwood`s RE is that it`s UV-stable, unlike most such products. No, that shouldn`t be a huge factor for these areas, but it`s still what I`d use.
    Likes ogre01 liked this post
    Thanks ogre01 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: any way to preserve these wheels

Accumulator, thank you, I forget about those rust encapsulator products. Guess its time to start getting the Eastwood catalog again.

Thread Information