Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to dry a tire after dressing

Hi Everyone,
    I`m hoping I could get some advice on drying a tire after dressing it. I used Gyeon Quatz tire (blue stuff, not express) after prepping the tire yesterday. I applied using a microfiber applicator and massaged it in well. Let sit for a while, came back and buffed it down. Tires looked fantastic. Fast forward to this morning, drive to work and when I got there, the tire dressing seemed to have oozed out of the design on the sidewall creating shiny spots around letters and grooves. It didn`t sling onto the body. What`s the best way to dry the dressing into the design, a hair dryer set on warm or a can of compressed air? Thanks!
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to dry a tire after dressing

Quote Originally Posted by BK111968 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I`m hoping I could get some advice on drying a tire after dressing it. I used Gyeon Quatz tire (blue stuff, not express) after prepping the tire yesterday. I applied using a microfiber applicator and massaged it in well. Let sit for a while, came back and buffed it down. Tires looked fantastic. Fast forward to this morning, drive to work and when I got there, the tire dressing seemed to have oozed out of the design on the sidewall creating shiny spots around letters and grooves. It didn`t sling onto the body. What`s the best way to dry the dressing into the design, a hair dryer set on warm or a can of compressed air? Thanks!
    Ibelieve its Eldorado mentions using a flagged tip brush to apply and i know a couple of others have tried it with good results. May do a good job on letter grooves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

0315191702-00.jpg

I don`t know how aggressive your tires are, but I use the Flagged tipped brush to apply Duragloss #253 tire dressing. Spray directly on the brush and apply to the tire.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/cr-9...l#.XtZbpW5Fxjo
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BK111968- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d wipe it with an old MF, which I always do as my last step of sliming...uhm, I mean "dressing"...them anyhow. Yes, it will pretty much trash that MF so do use an old one
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    BK111968- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d wipe it with an old MF, which I always do as my last step of sliming...uhm, I mean "dressing"...them anyhow. Yes, it will pretty much trash that MF so do use an old one
    What he said. I always wipe the dressing off with a microfiber. I don’t like a shiny tire so knocking down the shine is what I’m after. This is the dressing applicator that I like to use:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carr...l#.XtbInC--mfA
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you applied way too much, there is no place for it to go, so it is back on the outside..

I read up on this product at the Autopia Store; the people who make it say it is "durable" but it only lasts a few days... What kind of marketing doublespeak is that???

Good luck,
    Dan F
    Likes Coleroad, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon recommend a hairdryer to extend durability and allow the rubber to open up and the Sio2 to embed within. Although you get a few strange looks from the neighbours ive found it does extend durability and lock in the freshly applied look.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Gyeon recommend a hairdryer to extend durability and allow the rubber to open up and the Sio2 to embed within. Although you get a few strange looks from the neighbours ive found it does extend durability and lock in the freshly applied look.

I remember reading that as well. I see people doing this 2 ways. Some heat the tire prior to applying the dressing and other after applying the dressing. Is there a right or wrong way to go about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I remember reading that as well. I see people doing this 2 ways. Some heat the tire prior to applying the dressing and other after applying the dressing. Is there a right or wrong way to go about it?

When I used gyeon tyre I did both. I now use tyre coatings which don`t require me to take such crazy steps to achieve reasonable durability Best way to dry a tire after dressing

Likes Bindytou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had this problem with this product. Use Less and it helps but I’m resolved to know when I use it I’ll be wiping off my rockers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I’ve had this problem with this product. Use Less and it helps but I’m resolved to know when I use it I’ll be wiping off my rockers.
    Gee, that sounds *awful* to me! I`m confident that *you* know exactly what you`re doing and/but when I think of how I`ve *NEVER* experienced sling since my first Armor All`ing in ~1977 well, gee.. I figure that must be one seriously problematic product!

Post Thanks / Like

Tires vary a lot. That works great on one is total frustration on another. This holds especially true with more durable products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Tires vary a lot. That works great on one is total frustration on another. This holds especially true with more durable products.
    Agree 100% with you on this.

I have some McKee’s 37tire coating I have pretty much given up on being able to use.

I was testing it one my beater equinox before it died. That vehicle has Firestone’s on it. I cleaned the tires until the foam was completely white from scrubbing ( I would even go over them once more to ensure), I’ve tried Tarminator to clean them with also....no matter what i did the coating would fail with if a few days. It was very frustrating

Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was a huge tufshine fan till I got to use it on some continental tires. What a fail. I’m back at using some of my consumer level favs. They are super easy to use, flexible and pretty durable. I don’t think there is a perfect all around dressing, you have to try a few to find the right one for a particular tire.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I was a huge tufshine fan till I got to use it on some continental tires. What a fail. I’m back at using some of my consumer level favs. They are super easy to use, flexible and pretty durable. I don’t think there is a perfect all around dressing, you have to try a few to find the right one for a particular tire.
    Hello, Dan, I hope this finds you and yours safe and well up there inn NoVA..

As you recall, I am also a Tuf-Shine Clearcoat fan for years, actually,since it first came out..

Have applied it to dozens of sets of tires and using their Tuf-Shine Tire Cleaner only, I have never had it fail.. Usually, only 2 coats, drying time in between, and it stuck on those tires; no drying issues, no running off, etc., and kept them really clean, non greasy, and they even shed dirt for awhile, even up there in the Pacific Northwest where it rains, rains, rains, and then snows, in a lot of places..

Not able to remember all the tire brands I saw but for sure most were Michelin and a lot of Bridgestone, some Yokohama, some American makes, etc.. There had to be some Continentals in there on the English marques, but I cannot be sure now..
    Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information