Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to dry a tire after dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I was a huge tufshine fan till I got to use it on some continental tires. What a fail. I’m back at using some of my consumer level favs. They are super easy to use, flexible and pretty durable. I don’t think there is a perfect all around dressing, you have to try a few to find the right one for a particular tire.
    Hello, Dan, I hope this finds you and yours safe and well up there inn NoVA..

As you recall, I am also a Tuf-Shine Clearcoat fan for years, actually,since it first came out..

Have applied it to dozens of sets of tires and using their Tuf-Shine Tire Cleaner only, I have never had it fail.. Usually, only 2 coats, drying time in between, and it stuck on those tires; no drying issues, no running off, etc., and kept them really clean, non greasy, and they even shed dirt for awhile, even up there in the Pacific Northwest where it rains, rains, rains, and then snows, in a lot of places..

Not able to remember all the tire brands I saw but for sure most were Michelin and a lot of Bridgestone, some Yokohama, some American makes, etc.. There had to be some Continentals in there on the English marques, but I cannot be sure now..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I was a huge tufshine fan till I got to use it on some continental tires. What a fail. I’m back at using some of my consumer level favs. They are super easy to use, flexible and pretty durable. I don’t think there is a perfect all around dressing, you have to try a few to find the right one for a particular tire.
    Same problem here. Three different sets and types of Continental tires were a complete fail. It`s problematic on some Michelin tires too (two of the best brands of tires IMO).

I put it on a set of Dunlop tires and it looked nearly brand new for over year.

I`d love to use it everywhere but with such inconsistent results I started using regular dressings again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Same problem here. Three different sets and types of Continental tires were a complete fail. It`s problematic on some Michelin tires too (two of the best brands of tires IMO).

I put it on a set of Dunlop tires and it looked nearly brand new for over year.

I`d love to use it everywhere but with such inconsistent results I started using regular dressings again.
    Did you clean the tires beforehand with the Tuf-Shine Cleaner? Clean repeatedly until the soap was no longer brown?
    Let them fully dry before applying the clearcoat?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Uh-oh, I`m really intrigued by the Tuff Shine, but with my already problematic Michelins on that Tahoe (different issues with the different ones on the A8, they dress just fine)...well, now I dunno.

Not that I`ll use up my conventional tire slimes any time soon, got at least another four years` or so worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Did you clean the tires beforehand with the Tuf-Shine Cleaner? Clean repeatedly until the soap was no longer brown?
    Let them fully dry before applying the clearcoat?

Dan F
    Yes. Beyond clean. Either 3-4 times with Tuf Shine cleaner for all rounds of cleaning or even using more aggressive degreasers initially finishing with 1-2 rounds with Tuf Shine cleaner. Suds are pure white.

I used to use a dual motor pet hair dryer very similar to the dual motor Bigboi dryers (sold through Esoteric) that I have now.

There is just something about the compound of some tires that prevent the clear coat from adhering. Seems to be getting worse with more and more "new model" tires that have issues.

I have two sets of winter tires that I really want to use it on. One is a set of Continentals so I don`t have much hope. I`ll decide when we get closer to winter.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hello, Dan, I hope this finds you and yours safe and well up there inn NoVA..

As you recall, I am also a Tuf-Shine Clearcoat fan for years, actually,since it first came out..

Have applied it to dozens of sets of tires and using their Tuf-Shine Tire Cleaner only, I have never had it fail.. Usually, only 2 coats, drying time in between, and it stuck on those tires; no drying issues, no running off, etc., and kept them really clean, non greasy, and they even shed dirt for awhile, even up there in the Pacific Northwest where it rains, rains, rains, and then snows, in a lot of places..

Not able to remember all the tire brands I saw but for sure most were Michelin and a lot of Bridgestone, some Yokohama, some American makes, etc.. There had to be some Continentals in there on the English marques, but I cannot be sure now..
    Dan F
    Used the same process on the continentals as I did the Michelin that held up fine. It lasted a long time on the wheels though (where I got some excess)!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, Dwaleke --
    Thanks for your reply !! This is the first I have heard of this..

You good men did exactly what I have done, there is no other process that could beat what you both did..

Perhaps, the Continental people are now doing something else from a different tire maker? It says on the tire where it`s made, I believe..

Well, in the meantime, note to self - do not buy Continental tires..

I have new Pirelli PZero and Yokohama HTX tires on my vehicles and thank goodness, they play so well with Tuf-Shine Clearcoat..
    Dan F
    Likes dwaleke, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan F, this is a hobby of YMMV. I still love Tufshine. I’ll probably replace the Continentals with Michelin eventually.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    I have two sets of winter tires that I really want to use it on. One is a set of Continentals so I don`t have much hope. I`ll decide when we get closer to winter.
    That reminds me...my Blizzaks for the Tahoe don`t need *any* dressing on `em to look good. My other Blizzaks do benefit from it, some more than others, but not those.

I had some Goodyears on...what was it?...either the Yukon or the Blazer... that were make with a "you don`t need to dress it" compound and those did indeed stay nice with just regular cleaning. Wish all of `em were like that..
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information