Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Rim Coating Process

Hi to all...

I have received my new Rims and also bought IGL Wheel Coat to apply to them. Unfurtunaly my tires will be here next week so i will have to wait to mount them.

Is it a mayor risk to apply the coat before they re mounted on the tires? Will i loose my work?

Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rim Coating Process

From what I have read about wheel coatings being applied prior to tire mounting is you run the risk of the balancing weights not adhering properly if your wheels are coated prior. I would get the tires mounted first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We do it all the time, have them wipe down the area with straight alcohol before sticking the weights on. Did mine 3 years ago and no problem and no problems with any clients.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
    Hi to all...

I have received my new Rims and also bought IGL Wheel Coat to apply to them. Unfurtunaly my tires will be here next week so i will have to wait to mount them.

Is it a mayor risk to apply the coat before they re mounted on the tires? Will i loose my work?

Thanks in advance...
    The Tire Guys where I have gone for Decades, always wipe down that spot with I believe a strong cleaner, and then put the adhesive backed weight on that spot.. I have never had a wheel weight come off on my coated wheels, and the coating is still there..

It will certainly be much easier to clean and apply your product before the tires are mounted..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts would be to apply it prior to tire install - sounds like there might be an issue with wheel weights - but for that just wipe all the wheel barrels down with IPA right before you bring them in for tire install.

I would also expect a tire shop has knowledge on how to solve that issue - especially if you notify them up front.

Post Thanks / Like

I would wait. The installer is going to get the wheel dirty. I waited until my tires were installed and I had some clean up to do. Coated them after.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad you folks are posting your experiences, which are getting me to rethink my plans...

I would`ve waited for fear the mounting process would mess it up. But maybe I`ll just do another coat or so on the area(s) that might be affected.

IF (huge "if" I fear..) the coating lasts as long as OptiCoat v1.0 has for me, having it *under* the weights will mean not having to redo when I get new tires..big plus for Yours Truly since the need for tires and coating happen to coincide this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading what Mike lambert/Stokdgs posted, I`d sure expect that cleaning a *coated surface* with IPA would merely clean the coating rather than compromise it and that the weights will stick fine to the actual coating itself.

The Guz- *Will* the installer get the wheels dirty? The guys who do mine sure don`t...but I`m awfully particular about who does such stuff (and how they do it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would wait. The installer is going to get the wheel dirty. I waited until my tires were installed and I had some clean up to do. Coated them after.
    This approach has always worked well for me.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How *does* the, uhm..working life timing..go for others?

Wondering whether anyone shares my "expect the coating to outlast the tires".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    How *does* the, uhm..working life timing..go for others?

Wondering whether anyone shares my "expect the coating to outlast the tires".
    I can say for sure that on the Cayman the coating will far outlast a set of tires; from the service records that came with the car, the thing got its 3rd set of tires a week after I bought it at 12k miles (Thank You Porsche CPO!).

My daily driver, not so much. Still on original tires at 55k miles, hadda recoat wheels last Summer at about 45k miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    My daily driver, not so much. Still on original tires at 55k miles, hadda recoat wheels last Summer at about 45k miles.
    Goodness, I`ve never gotten even 25K out of a set of tires in my life! Between that and your Cayman your experiences sure span the gamut!

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness, I`ve never gotten even 25K out of a set of tires in my life! Between that and your Cayman your experiences sure span the gamut!
    I`m used to it. Our`s is the house where every time an electrician or other fix-it guys stops by and digs into the inner working of the house, they usually start on the job and soon after say "Well, I`ve never seen it done like that before..."
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I`m used to it. Our`s is the house where...they usually start on the job and soon after say "Well, I`ve never seen it done like that before..."
    Oh man, that sounds familiar to me too

We joke that when our builder said "Nothing says `quality` quite like [a house he built].." we didn`t realize it was a warning
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We joke that when our builder said "Nothing says `quality` quite like [a house he built].." we didn`t realize it was a warning
    Rim Coating ProcessRim Coating ProcessRim Coating ProcessRim Coating Process

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information