Post Thanks / Like

What to do with clear coat failure on wheels before ceramic coating

I am going to ceramic coat the wheels on our fusion shortly and there are some spots on the wheels where the clear coat is failing. For starters I’m not going to remove the clear and re-apply. But do I try to scrape the loose failed clear coat off before I start the wheel cleaning process and then the coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with clear coat failure on wheels before ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I am going to ceramic coat the wheels on our fusion shortly and there are some spots on the wheels where the clear coat is failing. For starters I’m not going to remove the clear and re-apply. But do I try to scrape the loose failed clear coat off before I start the wheel cleaning process and then the coating?

If it is actively flaking, it will continue to do so.. Nothing short of having it all removed and applied professionally will help.. It is just like flaking clear coat you see on all those old Honda/Toyota, GM, etc., vehicles..

Certainly, you can prep and apply your product on there, but don`t be surprised if the clear coat still keeps coming off..

What I have done for Clients in the past, is take their wheels to the best wheel shop, not a wheel showroom place, but where they work on wheels only, and have them remove the dying product and professionally respray them back to new again..

These places can also Polish the wheels and really make them look incredible; it`s all about how much $$$ you want to spend on them..

Sorry this had to happen to your wheels..
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a set of wheels powdered in silver, the lip “turned” showing a machined surface and baked in clear powdercoat. Beautiful for ten+ years then developed what yours has. All I could do is touch up with a touch up tube of Duplicolor clear.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Understood it won’t stop. Would I be better off just coating the barrels and inner areas on the face, but for the actual face where it is peeling away just use something like Gyeon Wetcoat?

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- If you take good care of them, even compromised wheels like that can stay about how they are indefinitely (I have some that have..for many years).

If you really won`t consider either having them refinished or replacing them (refinished wheels from a place called something like Wheels Tires and more dot com have usually satisfied me and are always *my version of* affordable). then I`d go ahead with your original plan of doing something with the flaking areas so that what`s left is genuinely adhered, polish them up as best you can, and then coating them.

If I can get by with an approach like that using a conventional LSP then I`d expect you can do the same with a Coating. Just keep an eye on things and don`t neglect them for too long (keep them relatively clean and consider a sacrificial topper) and see how it goes.

But if those are on something you care about, and you can afford it, I`d sure just refinish/replace them.

Thread Information