Post Thanks / Like

Joined the Motor Kote club

Today I joined the Motor Kote club. I decided to give it a try based on reviews I read here. I like the result but am definitely in the group that finds the spray too coarse. I just poured it into a much better bottle with a sprayer that gives a fine mist. Will see how that changes the experience next time.

Joined the Motor Kote club-img_2386.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joined the Motor Kote club

All I use now. It is the "good stuff".
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

You did a great job !!! Beautiful !!!

If you are speaking of SONUS Motor Kote, yes, that is a very good plastic conditioner with a terrible spray nozzle.. For almost 20 years !!!
    It works best if you don`t touch it after spraying it.. 2 coats if needed and the entire engine compartment is beautiful..

The only other product that works as good, but does not last as long is Chemical Guys Back to Black in a tall spray can..

Meguiars Hyper Dressing was the first to do this even farther back, but they concentrated on making it smell absolutely wonderful, and it only lasted a few weeks under that hot engine compartment if you drove that vehicle at all..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs -- thanks! Yes, Sonus Motor Kote. I expect it to be easier to use with the better sprayer.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love the stuff and have been using it for years. I wish it came in gallons

Post Thanks / Like

Mine went bad before I ever tried it, and the manner in which it did so made me glad I hadn`t used it.

The Motor Kote is always popular with some people here, and I can`t help but wonder whether I`m missing something. Other than spray-on application (which I don`t want), what advantages might it have over other approaches such as Ultima TTG+/etc.?

Post Thanks / Like

Its great, but needs to be sold in bottles bigger than 16oz or jugs.

Post Thanks / Like

dmath:
    What did you use to clean the engine BEFORE you applied Sonus Motor Kote?

I can spend back-breaking hours over an open engine compartment, trying clean off the engine itself and its components, the surrounding bay, and under the hood itself. I try not to induce too much water into an engine compartment, so I am very reluctant to spray pressurized water into an engine for fear of shorting out the many prevalent electrical and computer components in a modern engine compartment. My methodology is more damp clean/brush and wipe rinse, which is very tedious, but effective. I prefer Optimum`s Power Clean for a cleaning degreaser and Optimum No-Rinse for the cleaner soap for the sheet metal parts. And, yes, I resort to using cotton swabs (Q-Tips) for visible exposed areas, like recessed bolt/screw holes or intake manifold gallies.

Nice, clean-looking Mini-cooper engine compartment, by the way!! Thanks for the different bottle with better/finer sprayer nozzle suggestion.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    .. And, yes, I resort to using cotton swabs (Q-Tips) for visible exposed areas, like recessed bolt/screw holes or intake manifold gallies.
    Heh heh, I don`t think I`ve done as wash without scads of swabs since...well, forever. Maybe just 6-8 if I`m *really* rushing, but I always use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie - Thanks. I used Sonax Engine Cleaner. Saw a good review for it somewhere and have liked the few Sonax products I`ve used in the past (wheel cleaner and PNS come to mind -- that might be my first use of an Autopian acronym). I sprayed the engine with water but not with a pressure washer. I used a regular hose and a gentle shower setting. I also used some Q-tips to get into some tight areas.

I`m happy with how it turned out, though I`m sure it isn`t up to the standards of most Autopians.

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that it`s been two months since I Motor Koted the engine. Still looks great. All I`ve done since is wipe it with a dry cloth to remove dust after washing the car.
    Likes Stokdgs, Marine Clerk, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Diner thanked for this post

Thread Information