Post Thanks / Like

Dry spots on new tires after wheel cleaning

Hi guys,

While detailing my truck after a bad winter, I got around to the wheels and tires. Wheels are 20" factory chrome and the tires are new Cooper At3 as of April. I used an acid based chrome wheel cleaner I found at NAPA that is Eagle One Chrome Wheel cleaner. It worked great on the wheels but I`m wondering if it may have etched the new rubber or not worked well with some of the releasing agents in the new tire. I`ve attached a picture showing a dry spot. These were significantly worse yesterday with more areas of dryness and discoloration, but I continued to apply Optimum Tire Gel in the affected areas and it seems to have helped.

Has anyone experienced this before? I didn`t know if I should start over with different products.

To clean the tires I used Wesleys Bleach White (which I`ve used forever) and a brillo pad.

Thanks for any tips.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry spots on new tires after wheel cleaning

So, you`re saying you can`t cover/hide that spot on the tire?

(Personally, I`d re-think your choice of chems and tools.)
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Bleche White used to be really good stuff, until Black Magic got a hold of it. There are lots of other tire cleaning options out there, and if you want one thats locally available, pick up some Eagle One A to Z. For a tire brush, I`ve used the TufShine brush and love it. As far as the letters themselves go....I`ve seen people use stiff bristle toothbrushes, as well as a small (soft) brass brush, and focus only on the letters with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Bleche White used to be really good stuff, until Black Magic got a hold of it.
    Agree, its like a mild APC now, used to be some powerful stuff. IMO Mothers 05924 Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner, 24 oz. works like I remember Bleche White used to work. That said, in my experience, the tires given a few weeks of driving will go back to nornal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That said, in my experience, the tires given a few weeks of driving will go back to nornal.
    Dan are you saying that tires will uniform out in color by driving for a few weeks? Someone else mentioned that given that they`re new, they`ve got releasing agents, etc. that will surface as time goes on.

I`m trying to determine if the acidic eagle one chrome cleaner could have caused these random dry spots (or was it exacerbated by the brillo as well)? The spots keep drinking in the tire gel, although condition is improved from yesterday.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    So, you`re saying you can`t cover/hide that spot on the tire?

(Personally, I`d re-think your choice of chems and tools.)
    Yes, although better than yesterday, spots would look good for a minute then dry up. I did a heavier coating with tire gel and spots are improved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outrag1 View Post
    Dan are you saying that tires will uniform out in color by driving for a few weeks? Someone else mentioned that given that they`re new, they`ve got releasing agents, etc. that will surface as time goes on.

I`m trying to determine if the acidic eagle one chrome cleaner could have caused these random dry spots (or was it exacerbated by the brillo as well)? The spots keep drinking in the tire gel, although condition is improved from yesterday.

Thanks
    Indeed, I`ve seen the problem go away over time. Mine wasn`t as pronounced as yours though,

Post Thanks / Like

Check the molded in production date of the tires. Just because a person bought `new tires" does not mean they are fresh /new and that can often be an issue such as this.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Did that tire hit/rub a curb when it was still dirty and you didn’t notice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Did that tire hit/rub a curb when it was still dirty and you didn’t notice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No damage, tires mounted early April. I don`t have the date stamp off hand, but this is a new tire by Cooper released last August, so the tires are newly manufactured. Some folks have had issues with mold releasing wax/agents on new tires and getting a blotchy appearance when dressing. Maybe the acidic wheel cleaner removed the wax in certain spots and caused this. The brillo probably didn`t help. I`ll drive the truck for the next few weeks which naturally should surface more agents from the rubber and then I`ll go through a couple cleaning cycles (with different materials) and see where I`m at.

Thanks for the input.
    Bob

Thread Information