Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

A Word About Tire Dressings

I just recently found this out from a chemical manufacturer and I thought I would share. Most people think there are only two types of dressings--Water based and "Silicone" based dressings. There are more than just these two. There are oil based, silica based, pretty much anything you can think of- based. The point I want to make is that the main difference is water based and SOLVENT based. Not silicone based. Almost all water based dressings contain silicone, which is why almost all of them are NOT body shop safe. This is the component that actually makes the tires shiny or look dressed. Silicone is not death for your tire--it has been used in dressings for years. Solvent based dressings, on the other hand, are oily and greasy and provide that super high shine that is waterproof (oil/ solvent based dressing doesn`t get washed off by water, water based dressing does). I just wanted to clear that up. I see a lot of people thinking silicone is like the plague for your tires. Almost all water based dressings contain silicone. Don`t be afraid of it--it`s just how the dressings are made. This info is coming from auto detailing manufacturer that makes chemicals for almost 35 different brands
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes Bill D, 340mopars, PantherShark liked this post
    Thanks Bill D thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Word About Tire Dressings

Thanks for posting this. It’s been a while since silicone and water based vs non water based dressings have been discussed and the differences may have been forgotten

It’s interesting there’s one manufacturer for 35 different tire products.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It’s been a while since silicone and water based vs non water based dressings have been discussed and the differences may have been forgotten

It’s interesting there’s one manufacturer for 35 different tire products.
    Well they make 3 or 4 tire dressings and sell them to 35 different brands. The brands don`t change the formula, just private label it.
    Michael Daboll

-1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    I just recently found this out from a chemical manufacturer and I thought I would share. Most people think there are only two types of dressings--Water based and "Silicone" based dressings. There are more than just these two. There are oil based, silica based, pretty much anything you can think of- based. The point I want to make is that the main difference is water based and SOLVENT based. Not silicone based. Almost all water based dressings contain silicone, which is why almost all of them are NOT body shop safe. This is the component that actually makes the tires shiny or look dressed. Silicone is not death for your tire--it has been used in dressings for years. Solvent based dressings, on the other hand, are oily and greasy and provide that super high shine that is waterproof (oil/ solvent based dressing doesn`t get washed off by water, water based dressing does). I just wanted to clear that up. I see a lot of people thinking silicone is like the plague for your tires. Almost all water based dressings contain silicone. Don`t be afraid of it--it`s just how the dressings are made. This info is coming from auto detailing manufacturer that makes chemicals for almost 35 different brands
    Most if not all water based silicone dressings are white in color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Most if not all water based silicone dressings are white in color.
    Yep, a lot of them are. There are a few brands that are yellow as well. The consistency can vary quite a lot too. Like Adam`s VRT and Adam`s tires shine. One is a liquid spray and the other is a thick lotion. But both are water based and contain silicone.
    Michael Daboll

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if Perl uses silicones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It says it contains no solvents but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t contain silicones. I assume that’s what gives it its gloss
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are different versions of silicone. The issue isn`t really the tires but rather the paint, especially single stage paint or damaged clear.
    Likes Coatings=crack, m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if it`s gets understandable since the english is not my first language.

What painters feared before was the volatile silicone and was used on the doors rubber seals and other part of the interior. And also in the engine compartment. The protection products on these rubber materials that is . When they started to paint and only very little of these volatile silicone was reaching the new paint you got the fisheyes as you where painting it. I had a classic Volvo repainted and when the painter was doing the blend into the doors and opened them. That was not a pretty watch when the paint looked like it started to boil around the door opening.

The silicone today is mostly not volatile and you don`t get these problems if the dressing is silicone based. But silicone that is not volatile still makes problem on the paint. When repaint is done. So the things that bodyshops has been trying to avoid. Is know much back with these high cheap water repellent LSPs. That`s also means what is paint safe or bodyshop safe is that it would not be any silicone in the product. And don`t mistake the silicone and silicon as silicon is bodyshop safe. The problem is that to make silicon easier to work with they ad silicone in it. This is the big problems with the cheaper silicon SiO2 silica products. And mostly if you find a silicon product to be slick to the touch you can bet it`s the silicone in the product that makes this. And silicone is very glossy and shiney too. So if you have a vehical that you are knowing you are going to be repaint. Stay away from the silicone in the LSP products you use. Or you could be paying much more when the bodyshop is preping your paint or don`t do it thoroughly with useing silicone remover. And the repaint needs to be repainted again and preped as it should have been.
    Likes wannafbody, m54daboll, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh forgot to mention that silicone can be in very different chemical chains. So don`t know for sure which silicone is problems when painted over them. And this does that some silicone is more problems with than others. And silicone and silica is very alike as silicon is a O-Si-O and silicone chain has the bone of Si−O−Si−O−Si and can be very long as they crosslink with different atoms to be a certain silicone. In silicone oil which is knowned to be interfear with paint is polydimethylsiloxane. And some other kind of chemical build up that gets reaction when applyied on the paint or other parts that gets the wanted behavior.
    Likes Stokdgs, wannafbody liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

After using/testing dozens of products over decades, including Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. etc., the best all-around tire dressing for my business and personal needs has been Tuf-Shine ClearCoat and their fabulous tire cleaner.

Here is what they say about it Link to retail site removed.

Love this product for not being greasy, not causing black stuff to come off on anything that touches it, and for staying on the tires for longer than anything else I have ever used..

They also make 2 different sponges that are really great for many other uses..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    After using/testing dozens of products over decades, including Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. etc., the best all-around tire dressing for my business and personal needs has been Tuf-Shine ClearCoat and their fabulous tire cleaner.

Here is what they say about it

Love this product for not being greasy, not causing black stuff to come off on anything that touches it, and for staying on the tires for longer than anything else I have ever used..

They also make 2 different sponges that are really great for many other uses..
    Dan F
    This. Generally clean/apply in Spring, maybe a little freshen-up mid summer and that`s all that`s needed. Killer stuff and the tire brush & applicator sponge are mysteriously effective in a variety of ways. Carrand tire brushes make good applicators as well. Great stuff, `fire and forget`.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    This. Generally clean/apply in Spring, maybe a little freshen-up mid summer and that`s all that`s needed. Killer stuff and the tire brush & applicator sponge are mysteriously effective in a variety of ways. Carrand tire brushes make good applicators as well. Great stuff, `fire and forget`.
    So you put on basically 3 months apart and let it ride through fall and winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have anyone used the Tuf Shine Black Restorer on tires?

When I was reading about it I got interested in it cause of the claim of being more matte finish than the Tire Clearcoat. And also here in Sweden we can not get the later separately but just the kit. But mostly the matte finish I like and even somewhat close to the longevity some of you guys have from Tire Clearcoat. I would proberly test it out. And maybe maintain it with the Tac System Tire Coat down the road if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Have anyone used the Tuf Shine Black Restorer on tires?

When I was reading about it I got interested in it cause of the claim of being more matte finish than the Tire Clearcoat. And also here in Sweden we can not get the later separately but just the kit. But mostly the matte finish I like and even somewhat close to the longevity some of you guys have from Tire Clearcoat. I would proberly test it out. And maybe maintain it with the Tac System Tire Coat down the road if necessary.
    The Tufshine tire clearcoat stuff isn`t very shiny, you can apply it to a level you are comfortable with. Even with lots of layers, I only get a look of a mild water based dressing.
    Likes Marine Clerk, SWETM liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information