Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions Requested For Really Bad Brake Dust Residue

I used to read car-industry magazines (not car magazines) so I`m sure that must be where I got the idea wheels were being powdercoated (or I read it in a car brochure), because it was long before I was a member here. Whatever was on those GM high-polish clear wheels was thick and hard, but when I took them to be refinished, they didn`t make it sound like the factory finish was powdercoat (I mean that wasn`t presented to me as the factory-equivalent process). I dunno.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d try a good wheel cleaner and a MR Clean Magic Eraser on the wheel surface.

Some GM wheels were coated with a really thick clear of some type, maybe eurethane.
    Likes techdude99, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Trying to figure out what`s really on "shiny metal" can be a challenge! I never did get straight/consistent answers from Audi about the aluminum trim on the A8/S8..anodizing/powdercoat/weird paint/who knows what.

Those Trade Journals may well have been where you read about it, if not on some thread here.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen great success around here from pwodercoating options and probably a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be to try out a tar remover or adhisive remover of some kind. As I think what the pads are made of is some kind of metall glued together. And with a lot of these residue I useally start with tar remover and then wheel cleaner and if need to alternate until this is desolved. On the other hand the residue you have left on the spokes looks like some can be when a break has jammed and spit out a lot of brake pad residue and also from the rotor. This useally gets very hot and the metall in the brake pads seems to be very soft for being a metall. So I have been wondering if not the heat build is hot enough to make the brake pad metall solid when it`s gets on the rim. And then you are almost impossible to remove it as it could be through the powder coating or clearcoat and base coat. And melted into the aluminum. So the only option when gone this far is to grind down the metall and repaint the rim. Cause if you would get this of and useally done with a strong acid based wheel cleaner and no Wheel Brightener is not enough LOL. It`s goes under the metall residue and actually desolves or start a chemical reaction on the aluminum underneath the metall. So it`s gets released. The problem know is that you have bare aluminum to handle that has been treated with acid and started oxidize very much. And clean this up and make it look nice is not possible on the rims face but maybe on a barrel. But best would be to repaint them.

Post Thanks / Like

With the price of refinished rims being (generally) so reasonable, I`d still look into the cost of a new set. And I`d ask about how they were refinished.

Some replacements are pricey, but others are surprisingly cheap. How many hours of your time is whatever-$ worth?

Post Thanks / Like

The Brown Royal arrived today. I did a quick clean with the wheels by spraying it on dry, letting it sit for 5 minutes, agitating with a Magic Eraser, and rinsing off with the pressure washer gentle nozzle. This is the result on the toughest wheel.

I`m happy with the initial result. Another application may be necessary and then I`ll need to decide on a good wax or sealer.

The Flash Brown Royal didn`t have any noxious fumes, which was nice.

I`ll try the barrels when I have time (hopefully by next weekend) to remove the wheels.
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s looking not half bad. I was impressed with Brown Royal after seeing a video of it tackle the barrel of a very dirty wheel. Hopefully you will see the same result. Keep us posted.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes techdude99 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions Requested For Really Bad Brake Dust Residue

Told you it was worth trying... Looks like it got most of it on the first pass ! Nice work

Probably the best wheel cleaner I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    With the price of refinished rims being (generally) so reasonable, I`d still look into the cost of a new set. And I`d ask about how they were refinished. Some replacements are pricey, but others are surprisingly cheap. How many hours of your time is whatever-$ worth?
    Yeah, I dunno...I cracked a wheel in a pothole, and let my tire guy get me a replacement...it was terrible, I had to have it refinished when I got the rest of them done. None of the 3 sets I`ve had done was I really happy with...and those were all done for me, personally delivered and picked up, as opposed to trade in refinish for a nameless future online customer.

Quote Originally Posted by techdude99 View Post
    The Brown Royal arrived today. I did a quick clean with the wheels by spraying it on dry, letting it sit for 5 minutes, agitating with a Magic Eraser, and rinsing off with the pressure washer gentle nozzle. This is the result on the toughest wheel. I`m happy with the initial result. Another application may be necessary and then I`ll need to decide on a good wax or sealer. The Flash Brown Royal didn`t have any noxious fumes, which was nice.
    Came out pretty good, hopefully good enough for you. I had wheels similar to that, but I couldn`t live with the barrels being unfinished, of course I never used Brown Royal on them...

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- It can indeed be a crapshoot, especially when dealing with an unfamiliar source. I`ve sent back plenty of wheels but always got the vendor to eat the return shipping.

The last ones I got were from a site called something like Wheels Tires and More do-com and they were OK.

On vehicles that matter I always hope I can get NOS ones, and usually do, but I couldn`t do that for the `93 Audi`s BBS`s. They came out OK...the second time around. Well, the four I use in nice weather are OK by my standards, the others are OK for winter.

Kinda surprised you took the unacceptable wheel from the tire place; I gather there was a degree of urgency.

And I couldn`t stand the barrels being unfinished either, nor the backsides of the spokes. Besides how it`d look they`d be harder to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Kinda surprised you took the unacceptable wheel from the tire place; I gather there was a degree of urgency.
    It was a GM high-polish clear wheel. The rest of the wheels weren`t that great at the time, this one looked about the same on the back, better on the front, but after a while I realized they hadn`t stripped it and had just painted over the factory paint, when the clear started peeling and there was more clear under it.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions Requested For Really Bad Brake Dust Residue

Quote Originally Posted by techdude99 View Post
    This is a 2004 TSX with OEM Aluminum wheels. The caked on reside from the OEM & Hawk DTC-30 metallic pads over the last few years (it was a dual purpose DD & HPDE car) looks bad. FYI- It`s a Southern car with one Pittsburgh winter.

After searching the forum, I took the wheels off and performed a thorough cleaning with Meguiars Ultimate soap, let them dry, and went three rounds with Sonax and a microfiber sponge. The surface is looking a lot better but the barrels are awful.

Are the surfaces too far gone to clean without stripping and refinishing?

If not, I`d appreciate recommendations on nursing them back to health (as much as possible) without destroying the finish.

Unfortunately, I put the wheels back on before taking pics, but you should be able to see the problem areas.

Thanks!
    BH auto wheel or korrosol, worth the import, or your best fallout remover. Clean well then finish with a diluted acid based cleaner to brighten the alloy.

Be aware that although you can clean the wheels, the clear has pitted which means there is no ‘protection’ on that portion of the wheel and it will get dirty again rather quickly.

At this point you can either settle for sub par cleanliness or continue to use an acid based cleaner, knowing that you’ll have to clean more often and eventually refurbish the wheels as the acid accelerates the pitting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information