Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for wheel protection dressing in New England please

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Have you tried cquk3 on rims or trim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve used 2.0 on wheels and it worked just fine. I tend to use DLUX on trim.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like Coatings=crack`s suggestion.

A quality ceramic coating, especially as far as rims and barrels is concerned, is a set it and forget it plan.

Such a long lifespan in a hard to maintain area like barrels is essential.

Guz`s idea is good also but I think the CQUK 3.0 has a much longer lifespan.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Gyeon Rim or Kamikaze Stance?

I might coat some wheels before changing over this spring and my GlossCoat went bad..need something that`ll last at least a few years (as the Optimum always did) and that`s Accumulator-proof with regard to application (which is a tougher criterion at present as I`m about to have more eye surgery).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I might coat some wheels before changing over this spring and my GlossCoat went bad..need something that`ll last at least a few years (as the Optimum always did) and that`s Accumulator-proof with regard to application (which is a tougher criterion at present as I`m about to have more eye surgery).
    Gyeon Rim was ok in terms of overall performance. Started to fizzle out close to 1 year on a daily driven car. Application is pretty straight forward. Just as easy as gloss Coat.

If Gloss Coat worked for you then get another tube.

Longevity will come down to a few factors like anything else.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I might coat some wheels before changing over this spring and my GlossCoat went bad..need something that`ll last at least a few years (as the Optimum always did).
    Rims take the most beating,wouldn’t expect more than 1-2 years on barrels and 1yr on face.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate hearing about the durability you`ve experienced with that coating. Doesn`t sound right for me, and being able to check it off the list is helpful.

With Optimum`s coatings no longer getting rave reviews, I`ve just been FKing mine, not gonna bother with any coating that doesn`t offer oh-wow durability. Seems like a lot of coatings need redone as often as some conventional LSPs, which are so much quicker/easier for me.
    I hear what you are saying about FK for the wheels and I know you have experience with Collinite on paint because of its hardness but how does Collinite compare to FK on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Huh, interesting that your wheel faces need redone more often than the barrels! My barrels seem to take a *lot* more abuse, maybe because I can`t use the same uber-gentle cleaning approaches back in there. They always need redone first, always.

Wow, sounds like some coatings are very short-lived! I got years out of my original OptiCoat (don`t think I even got the GlossCoat opened before it went bad). NO WAY am I [messing around with some coating that`ll need redone (nearly) as often as my FK1000P.

bcgreen- The dramatic diff on wheels between the FK and the Collinite is why I quit using Collinite and KSG on paint too.

Collinite, even numerous coats, was inferior to KSG x 6, which was, in turn, inferior to the FK x [fewer].

While, as noted, there are a skad of variables, IME the FK is simply in another league. BUT...at least two people here have had the exact opposite experience, with the Collinite outlasting the FK! So I guess my crystal ball is just a little foggy as I`d hate to waste your money. But I know which *I* will keep using, just trying to figure out whether using a coating instead will beat a quickie redo of the FK every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Accum., excuse me, but what is KSG?

Post Thanks / Like

The dramatic diff on wheels between the FK and the Collinite is why I quit using Collinite and KSG on paint too.

Collinite, even numerous coats, was inferior to KSG x 6, which was, in turn, inferior to the FK x [fewer].
    Hello Accumulator,

I found Soft99 Fusso coat to have superior water behaviour than FK on my cars.
    Especially the dark one has higher carnauba concentration.
    You might be interested in trying.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Huh, interesting that your wheel faces need redone more often than the barrels! My barrels seem to take a *lot* more abuse, maybe because I can`t use the same uber-gentle cleaning approaches back in there. They always need redone first, always.

Wow, sounds like some coatings are very short-lived! I got years out of my original OptiCoat (don`t think I even got the GlossCoat opened before it went bad). NO WAY am I [messing around with some coating that`ll need redone (nearly) as often as my FK1000P.

bcgreen- The dramatic diff on wheels between the FK and the Collinite is why I quit using Collinite and KSG on paint too.

While, as noted, there are a skad of variables, IME the FK is simply in another league. BUT...at least two people here have had the exact opposite experience, with the Collinite outlasting the FK! So I guess my crystal ball is just a little foggy as I`d hate to waste your money. But I know which *I* will keep using, just trying to figure out whether using a coating instead will beat a quickie redo of the FK every now and then.
    I’ve actually never experienced. Just something mention to me by a local guy and he’s explanation made sense. Mostly though I want to believe him cuz taking the wheels off and coating in its entirety is a B!T€#

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Ah, OK. Heh heh, be careful with that "I want to believe" approach, it often bites me in the rear.

Collinite isn`t bad by any means, it`s just not something I`d go out and buy with other options being available these days.

Yes indeed, some wheels are a terrible PIA to coat. Doing the Tahoe`s took me hours due to the weird/involved hub covers, fasteners, and lug nut covers (countless surfaces to polish/strip/coat..and inspecting those for high spots was just a terrible chore). It wasn`t just some "two or three hour" job by a long shot. I suspect it took a *lot* longer than just redoing the FK annually. Other wheels I coated were much easier, but I dunno if I want to go that route again unless it`ll last for years..like, the life of the tires.

PPLd- Yeah, a while back there was a lot of interest in the Soft99 stuff here and I did look into it. It could very well be better than the FK1000P, but I`ll be sticking with the latter if only because I`m so happy with (everything about) it. It`s just one of those "not broken, don`t fix" things.

I do want to be perfectly clear though: I am not dissing the Soft99 line of LSPs in any way nor am I challenging assertions that it`s truly All That.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Accum., excuse me, but what is KSG?
    Sorry, guess that one has fallen into the "seldom mentioned, no longer recognized" category!

KSG = Klasse Sealant Glaze
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Looks like Soft99 is worth looking into. Seems like it may be a bargain compared to other stuff you could use.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Hello Accumulator,

Maybe send Accum. a small sample to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Hello Accumulator,

Soft99 Fusso Coat dark and light is PTFE based all synthetic wax/sealant.

Soft99 is a big brand and has a lot of products. Soft99 Authentic Premium is their Carnuaba wax.

I have got interested in the Soft99 Water Block which is a sheeting wax and says to be very extreme in that ability.

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually been looking at Soft99 Fusso Coat, as well. It seems like the durability claims are there, how it does in shielding finishes from bird bombs and water marks is the real question. Of course I haven`t touched my tin of FK1000P as I am currently trying to use up my 500mL of Reload, it is so easy to apply via drying aid, it also keeps the car cleaner between washes than FK1000P. I am also starting to lean my arsenal towards silica infused as they are just so dang quick and easy to apply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information