Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: headlights are dull and foggy?

100 grit lol. I`d just use a wire wheel on a drill.

It`s hard to give a good recommendation because it depends how bad the headlights are. First I`d try aggressive compounding. Of course, compounds / polishes are just liquid sandpaper - so theoretically, if you have the time - you should be able to compound through most headlight damage using aggressive techniques and small pads. It`s not paint - so you don`t have to worry about burning through clear coat. Of course, if they are bad - this could take a lot of time.

I`ve never done it - but I`d think spraying any kinda clear on headlights would make them look odd and orange peeled. Of course, you could try and sand / polish that out to level it.

I`ve corrected headlights on my own vehicles that weren`t too bad using paint correction stuff. I`ve just used whatever LSP was on my paint and they stayed fine. You just have to reapply every so often.

I remember there was a thread about using Helmsman Spar Urethane as a protectant. I do some furniture restoration / wood staining. That product is an oil based polyurethane protectant with UV inhibitors that is meant for topping a wood stain on wood for outdoor use. Oil based polys will yellow over time and they are supposed to. This is not an issue on stained wood & often adds to the character of the stain - but on clear plastic or white paint it`s gonna look bad. I would just wipe them down with OCW as a protectant a few times a year and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    So the McKee’s 37 Headlight Protectant Spray is "ok", but I should consider something stronger like a film? I actually just planned to de-oxidize them once a year as I go.
    I would use McKees headlight coating or a dedicated trim coating, such as carpro dlux or gyeon trim which are made to be applied to plastics. These will easily last a year or more before needing to be reapplied.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the tips. I think I`ll start with just the compound / polish first since they aren`t really "that bad"... Then if that doesn`t work I`ll start off wet sanding. Since I don`t currently own a polisher or pads (yet). I may actually just put this on hold until I can get a handle on how to "wash my car" first and then work on other items like lights and seats.

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT- I strongly encourage you to still use something that (effectively) blocks the UV no matter what you do to them. Once the oxidation has started the clock is ticking, but you can slow it down to the point of insignificance if you go about it right.

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT, this kit is on sale. I am just a weekend hobby detailer for our family cars, but this kit is simple and it works great. 15 minutes per headlight. Even I can do it. Just tape around the headlight lens so you don`t hit the car paint.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/best...l#.W2TSlNJKjIU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information