Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Another use for tarminator, and tire coat

I hate tire Browning. Also known as tire "bloom", it happens to a lot of new tires and has to do with oxidation etc.… Here`s an easy way to get rid of it for years. Use stoners terminator once/twice a year to get the wheel clean, then immeditly rinse it with soap/water, and apply TAC tire coating. Use an applicator, never spray tire. This is not a tire dressing, this is a true coating, so therefore it lasts 3-6 months....GYEON also Makes one, sold here. I am soooo glad that I`m Able to get rid of this monthly chore using dressings…
    Before:

Finished
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes rlmccarty2000, SWETM, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another use for tarminator, and tire coat

Tire looks great! Thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice

Post Thanks / Like

The TAC Tire dressing is some pretty durable stuff. No sling to worry about as it drys almost instantly. I like to apply two coats for a little more shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking tires! I also has the Tac System Tire Coat on my tires for the first time. If it`s not holding up for long I will test out a tar remover and the Adam`s Tire and Rubber Cleaner which I used last time. Adam`s Tire and Rubber Cleaner was very effective to get alot of the brown gunk off and I did it twice. The 2 used Continental tires I got was in bad shape with the blooming. But came out nice after this and the Tac System Tire Coat looks like I wants.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Tarminator is an awesome product on tar and other tough paint contaminants, but I would not recommend using it on tires for any reason. It`s mostly made up of petroleum distillates, like naptha and ethylene glycol. Not only is it highly flammable, but it will absolutely deteriorate rubber products the same way it deteriorates tar on your paint. There are over hundred different elements in the composition of the "rubber" in that Michelin tire, and many of them will break down with a product like Tarminator.

Chronic blooming on a tire—like Continentals—can be removed from simple scrubbing with a good tire & wheel product, or with a cleaner Purple Power. Use a quality tire coating and it will keep the blooming from returning regularly.
    Purple Towel Detailing
    FB + IG: @purpletoweldetailing
    Likes jatleson, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BadgerRivFan thanked for this post

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

You do what works for you. I`ve been doing it for about four years and never seen a problem with any tire I`ve done. To each his own. In addition to that, I talked to armour all tech service a year and a half ago because I had applied one of their products and it wouldn`t come off. They recommended Tarminator.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes Ronkh, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll just leave this here... you go ahead and do what you`re gonna do. Everyone else can decide for themselves if they want to use a solvent on their tires.
    Purple Towel Detailing
    FB + IG: @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of this before. I personally won’t use terminator on my tires on a regular basis.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

My god what paranoia.....I have amended the post to reflect this is done once or twice a year and immediately Rinsed. Never had a problem in 4 years. I am done here, ..... use what makes you happy
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Glen, I want you to know I am not judging you. Sorry if it came off that way. Same to everyone else. We all play so nice in the sand box. I am in the chemical business and no, not the car care chemical business. The industrial and commercial cleaner business. And I have been helped a lot by you and others here because we all have some expertise. I have a little myself and I just wanted to share my opinion. AND THAT DOES NOT MEAN I AM RIGHT. I have been told by some pretty top notch guys in the business to do this on problem tires and maybe once in a tires life it wont hurt anything. Maybe it will never hurt anything I`m not sure. But based on the chemistry of Tarminator and the make up of tires, I feel it is too harsh-MY PERSONAL OPINION.

In my mind tires are suppose to be flexible and I just don`t want to dry them out, mostly because I don`t want to shorten their life or make them unsafe. Looking out for you an yours too. Something to consider is all.

I apologize if my response was kurt. I did not mean any disrespect and I never do to anyone here. I look foreword to us all continuing to share what works for us, and then we can all adopt what we choose to.

Have a good day ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    My god what paranoia.....I have amended the post to reflect this is done once or twice a year and immediately Rinsed. Never had a problem in 4 years. I am done here, ..... use what makes you happy
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Glen. This site is about sharing of information and some of us might have differing information and opinions.

As someone who previously worked in the tire industry, I know a little bit about tires and how they are made. Tarminator works great for removing blooming from tires because of its ingredients, but it also makes it a very harsh chemical for people to be regularly applying to rubber. Tires are made up of a LOT of compounds and elements, not just rubber. The solvents in Tarminator can and will deteriorate many components that comprise a tire sidewall.

All I`m saying is be informed about what it is, and use it sparingly—it`s the equivalent of pruning a bonsai tree with a chainsaw. Sure, it works, but it might do more damage than good.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I appreciate the chemical guy and the tire guy for sharing their knowledge.
    Likes gspam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While this is not car detailing related...................my nieces decided to use crayon to draw on my concrete driveway. The wife lost it. Pulled out a can of Tarminator and a stiff brush, sprayed and scrubbed and rinsed and the driveway looks as good as new.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Thread Information