Post Thanks / Like

Longest lasting wheel coating in SoFlo

I used 22ple wheel coating on my wheels 14 months ago ( 2 coats ). It appeared to hold up ok. Wondering if anyone has a coating that has held up for them and what the durability time frame was. Sold that truck last week and new wheels coming for current one. Did not coat last wheels from new, want to do it this time. Stick with 22ple or go different route?
    If I`m not fishing,I`m wishing I was.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Longest lasting wheel coating in SoFlo

Thoughts???
    Anyone???
    If I`m not fishing,I`m wishing I was.

Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq C5 wheel coating works great. It works great. Durability may give you a couple more months than 22p.e. 22ple is a great product too.
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks lil_sausiii thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tested our CarPro DLUX over a year and it did ok. Lost it`s hydrophobic properties (beading) but kept it`s sheeting over that year when I prepped the wheels for a re-coat. I had used hydro a few times as maintenance. I heard CQUK mentioned as a good wheel coating as well.

Currently have Gyeon Rim on my dad`s car and have been using Gyeon Cure to maintain it as I have plenty of it. This combo seems to be working pretty well over the last 2 months and will see how it holds up after a year. Gyeon Rim is pretty hydrophobic on it`s own as well.

I currently have GTechniq C5 on my daily driver as a base layer. Ended up using the EXO V3 I had just to use it and so far this combo has been great. C5 left the wheels feeling tacky but EXO added some slickness and more hydrophobic than C5 by itself. Been on my wheels for roughly 2 months now and is doing quite well.

Have C5 on the other garage car as a stand alone that has been on them for a year. I expect it to last a long time.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes SWETM, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I held off responding initially because I don`t really have any concrete durability data, but I`ll go ahead and share my experience.

Summer wheels: Coated with CQuartz. When I swapped them out after roughly four months, they were still beading like the day it was first applied and very easy to clean.

Winter wheels: Coated with McKee`s 37 Paint Coating V1. A little harder to judge since I haven`t hand washed the car over the winter, but after nearly five months of moderate winter driving, they still clean up very easily. Beading looks a little off, but I blame that on not being able to give the wheels a proper wash.

In both cases I applied the normal paint coating vs a wheel specific coating and both seem to be working pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

14 months is pretty darn good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    yep
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    yep
    Double-yep. Stick with what you know works for YOU.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the Gtechniq line of coatings for my new car. Been hearing good things lately. Good to know about topping the C5 with exo.

Post Thanks / Like

On wheels I used a "consumer coating" , which was very good on the paint. Wheels wear the coating right off. I simply went to using hydro2 on my wheels. Working pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz has tested the most common and I think they would hold up on par with each other. Then it`s just the mileage what is going to be the difference in the longevity from them. Intresting to do a top coating like exo on them.
    So I think that you will be fine with the 22ple wheel coating. If you don`t want to test a different one out just for the fun of it. Stick with the 22ple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Considering the Gtechniq line of coatings for my new car. Been hearing good things lately. Good to know about topping the C5 with exo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Guz has tested the most common and I think they would hold up on par with each other. Then it`s just the mileage what is going to be the difference in the longevity from them. Intresting to do a top coating like exo on them.
    So I think that you will be fine with the 22ple wheel coating. If you don`t want to test a different one out just for the fun of it. Stick with the 22ple.
    The only reason I used Exo was so it would not go bad like my CSL did by not using it. I did not hear too much about others using exo as a topper on wheels with C5. Then I started to read about others on social media stating that the combo works well together. So we shall see how it holds up over the course of a year.
    Likes SWETM, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The only reason I used Exo was so it would not go bad like my CSL did by not using it. I did not hear too much about others using exo as a topper on wheels with C5. Then I started to read about others on social media stating that the combo works well together. So we shall see how it holds up over the course of a year.
    Any updates? I was considering C5 for my wheels but not really trying to buy two products to do the job...definitely a little concerned to hear that just the C5 was tacky as my vehicle produces ungodly amounts of brake dust already.

Anyone else have updates or contenders worth throwing into the ring? Budget Plan, where are you at on this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetail View Post
    Any updates? I was considering C5 for my wheels but not really trying to buy two products to do the job...definitely a little concerned to hear that just the C5 was tacky as my vehicle produces ungodly amounts of brake dust already.

Anyone else have updates or contenders worth throwing into the ring? Budget Plan, where are you at on this one?
    I noticed that Exo V3 started to show signs of losing it`s hydrophobic properties (beading) in certain areas. One thing is certain is that I did try C2V3 on the wheels and that led to water spots on one wheel for sure. This is one reason why I don`t like C2V3.

C5 on its own is ok. Nothing overwhelming from the hydrophobic properties. I would definite top it with Exo.

Gyeon Rim is easy to apply but it is not the longest lasting coating. It came up short to the 1 year mark before it started to lose it`s water beading. DLUX works well and I noticed that around the 15 month mark it was about done with beading. The sheeting was still there.

I am now trying out 22ple VM1 but I can`t comment how its performance is in the long run.

I would recommend some sort of topper to maintain the base layer. Also the coating being tacky does not matter in regards to stuff sticking to it.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Wow, if that`s the case these days then I really am about to write off coatings.

I used the old OptiCoat and GlossCoat on wheels that got used hard (daily driver, AutoX, allowed to get really nasty between cleanings...I mean HARD) and both lasted years. The only reason I should redo the Tahoe ones is that new tires = new weights in the barrels and I oughta do the areas where the old weights were. But the faces are just fine and it`s been so long I`d have to check my Detailing Log to see when I coated them, it`s been that many years.

Thread Information