Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PO Clearcoated the Engine / Bay

MattPersman- Ah, yeah. If somebody`s buying such stuff I`d sure like to see them get the business so I`m glad you posted that.

Hopefully we`ll soon know whether it *is* that and whether it cleaned off OK.

I`m wracking my brain trying to remember cleaning it off something *really* old/baked-on, but every time I`ve tackled such stuff it was so easy that I guess my experiences just aren`t in the same league. Some aluminum bits did stay discolored though..but even for a top-flight Concours I`d think such imperfection is just how-it-was-built.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing about cosmoline it sure protects. It just looks like hell when over the years people have tried to detail the car and leave patches on the engine like the OP has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation with my `87 El Camino I bought in 1993. There was a thin amber-tinted coating over the entire engine, inner fenders and core support. When I decided to get serious about removal, I tried every solvent I could think of except for lacquer thinner, since the paint from that era was all lacquer. What worked best was denatured alcohol, which led me to believe the coating was shellac-based. It took an absolute ton of effort, but eventually I got it all clean.

Bill
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MattPersmon- Yes indeed, it *does* protect/look awful! Cleaning it up, but not *off*, undercarriages is one huge challenge.

Billy Jack- Huh, that`s a new one for me! The domestic undercoating/rustproofing I`m familiar with from back then was always some variation on Ziebart, easy-peasy with most any solvent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Billy Jack- Huh, that`s a new one for me! The domestic undercoating/rustproofing I`m familiar with from back then was always some variation on Ziebart, easy-peasy with most any solvent.
    I had both to deal with on my Camino. Originally, it was Ziebarted, then at some point after, coated with some type of clear dressing. Once I used the alcohol to get the yellowed clear stuff off, I then had to deal with the 20 year old rustproof on the inner structure of the fenders. Unlike fresh rustproofing, which easily dissolves with a mineral spirits-based solvent, this stuff was almost crystallized. Don`t even want to think about the effort put into that project, all in the quest to avoid points deduction in judged shows.

Bill
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- Huh, never realized it got so hard to deal with over time! Glad you posted that, might save me headaches some day.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    I had a similar situation with my `87 El Camino I bought in 1993. There was a thin amber-tinted coating over the entire engine, inner fenders and core support. When I decided to get serious about removal, I tried every solvent I could think of except for lacquer thinner, since the paint from that era was all lacquer. What worked best was denatured alcohol, which led me to believe the coating was shellac-based. It took an absolute ton of effort, but eventually I got it all clean.

Bill
    I was painting back then and what we used on lacquer to clean up stuff was Enamel Reducer, Prep-sol, etc.. I always liked the reducer or lacquer for cleaning because they dried quickly and left no residue.. Yes, you are right, it is never advisable to use lacquer on lacquer paint for clean up..
    Dan F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information