Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Wheels

@atgonzales: I`m expecting -- 1/ they`ll be really soft 2/ on the dry they`ll turn most control input into an "rrrrrrip" type sound instead of a change in speed or direction 3/ whether they`ll be worth it will depend on how severe a winter mother nature throws at me 4/ excellent fuel economy 5/ lots of traction control lights.

I have, however, determined through personal experience with various tires (including older Hakka RSi) and reading online that really sensitive traction control systems trigger just from the tread squirm and you aren`t actually spinning up the tires. This is consistent with my past observations, anyways. Think of taking a simple plastic comb and running a finger tip across it, making a "rrrrip" sound. That`s (good) winter tires in the dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to get the C5 on the wheels today and put them back in storage for now.

Used less C5 than I expected - hope I used enough. Couldn`t see where I had applied to judge whether there was enough. It was completely invisible on the surface (metallic paint + clearcoat) though it resulted in a "squeaky feel" while I was applying.

I bought a 30mL bottle hoping to do both my winter and summer wheels. I ended up using 10mL at most, and I did full barrels and all. They`re 18x8.5J wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Above and beyond there, lol. We just run steelies with no hubcaps. It does look a little goofy going from 18" low pro to base model 16" steels. Not even going to mention the nagging TPMS light with the absence of the sensors.

Are TPMS the biggest rip off of the motoring public, or what? a Doz morons deflated their explorer tires and then failed the tires and rolled the truck. so, now the rest of us are stuck with these friggin things that cost 75$ ea, complicate having winter wheels as you say, and don`t last forever. When they fail, you get code on the dash and you wont get inspected with the code showing.

Write your representatives.

Post Thanks / Like

arthur- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d never drive any vehicle without a start-of-day preflight inspection, and yeah...like you, I have no use for TPMS (which only one of our vehicles has). But I gotta say that my not-into-vehicles friends actually find TPMS useful.

Note that the Ford Explorer thing was significantly exacerbated by Ford`s too-low recommended inflation pressures. Not the only time they`ve done that either...nonsense (well, it`s nonsense to *me*) like even tire wear and an artificially softened ride apparently helps sell vehicles. At least it helps sales to people who don`t *really* want what certain vehicles inherently are! E.g., their recommended pressures for Crown Vics is *WAY* below what provides optimum handling, and just a few psi under that recommended pressure is enough to cause rim-to-pavement contact during emergency maneuvers. But people like long tire life and even tire wear, and a softer ride than a body-on-frame vehicle is naturally gonna provide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information