Post Thanks / Like

Is formula 409 safe on alloy wheels?

I saw this video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RjWsI7wyM

and since then I`ve used formula 409 a handful of times to soften the break dust then go over with soap water and brush.

I have alloy wheels, I don`t want them to get pitted, bubble, etc. So far the cleaner has worked great. It`s not strong enough to do "all" the work, as the mechanical brushing is still required, but I don`t know if its too strong based on what the forum thinks.

what do you think?

Is there an alternate product I can buy on amazon that`s not too expensive yet still effective and safe?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is formula 409 safe on alloy wheels?

Hey, if that`s what works for you then who can argue? No one can knock the success you`ve apparently had. That said, I don`t think you`ll find many recommendations for this product as a primary wheel cleaner. Even JunkMan states that he doesn`t have much dust because of his choice of pads. I believe that there are dedicated wheel cleaners that will do a better job of removing brake dust, it`s what they`re designed to do as opposed to cleaning kitchen counters.

To answer one of your questions, I doubt 409 is too strong, in fact, I think you`ll find a number of dedicated wheel products that are considerably stronger. These products really need to be used as directed paying particular attention to both dwell time and making sure you do not apply the product when the wheels are warm. Care should be taken to insure you use these products in an open space. These products, for lack of a better description are strong.

Perhaps the best suggestion I can give you is to take a look on Autopia Car Care, (you can compare prices with Amazon but I don`t think you`ll save money) and read up on the variety of wheel cleaners they have to offer, roll the dice with one of them and compare it to 409. You`ll likely answer your own questions, I think you`ll be pleasantly surprised. Watch the ACC sales on the forum, you`ll find good prices.

A couple of recommendations if you`re brake dust is bad: 3D BDX or CarPro IronX. If you`re looking for solid regular maintenance product take a look at PoorBoys Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner. These have all worked for me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alext72888 View Post
    I saw this video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RjWsI7wyM

and since then I`ve used formula 409 a handful of times to soften the break dust then go over with soap water and brush.

I have alloy wheels, I don`t want them to get pitted, bubble, etc. So far the cleaner has worked great. It`s not strong enough to do "all" the work, as the mechanical brushing is still required, but I don`t know if its too strong based on what the forum thinks.

what do you think?

Is there an alternate product I can buy on amazon that`s not too expensive yet still effective and safe?
    I`ll save you the shipping fees. Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. You can get it at Walmart. The best over the counter product I have used and probably one of the top three wheel cleaners I have ever used (P21S and Autoglym round out my top three).

Save the 409 for the bathroom sink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alext72888 View Post

what do you think?
    Alex, I think I`d leave it in the kitchen and not experience some kind of "surprise" caused by it months from now.

There are plenty of OTC wheel cleaners that are known NOT to cause damage over the long-term.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I`ll save you the shipping fees. Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. You can get it at Walmart. The best over the counter product I have used and probably one of the top three wheel cleaners I have ever used (P21S and Autoglym round out my top three).

Save the 409 for the bathroom sink.
    I always keep a bottle of the E1 A2Z on hand. Although I never found it particularly great for cleaning wheels (mine are admittedly never really that dirty anyway), I do find it really good for cleaning tires. In fact, that`s what I use it for. ....periodic tire cleaning. Great product IMO.

As with any of these types cleaning products I use gloves and a respirator these days. A2Z has a HMIS health rating of 3 with several exposure warnings (e.g. skin contact, inhalation).
    2010 Challenger R/T
    2020 Forester
    1986 4Runner
    1969 Charger SE

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going this route, skip 409 and go right to LA Totally Awesome.

You can dilute it and it`s $1 a bottle. I don`t think any APCs will damage most wheels, as long as you:

1. Don`t use them on hot wheels

2. Don`t let them dry on wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK (somebody correct me if this has changed recently) virtually all OE wheels are powdercoated. So they`re really tough and should withstand all sorts of chemicals. So the finish you see isn`t all that fragile. BUT...

If an alloy wheel`s finish is compromised, I`d sure be careful about what`s used on it. Yeah, the finish (often powercoat) is tough, but if there are chips/microfissures/etc. I wouldn`t want something caustic contacting the underlying aluminum. You might not know the finish is compromised until it suddenly "clouds" or otherwise spoils your day...and once that sort of thing happens it`s Refinish/Replace time because you won`t fix it.

Eh, guess I`m just paranoid about such stuff from having seen so many ruined wheels, but I`d stick with Wheel Cleaners that are appropriate for the job.

Thread Information