Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long do car tires last?

The Michelin Pilots on my previous Crown Vic had *extreme* outer-edge wear after just a few AutoX runs. Had I not inflated them to the pressure I did (i.e., had I run the Ford-recommended pressure) they would`ve been destroyed the first run, might`ve even "polevaulted"/flipped the car due to rim-to-pavement contact.

(Testing by the Vehicle Dynamics Institute showed that Crown Vics handle best at 42psi and that handling deteriorates significantly at lower pressures. The OEM recommended pressure is 35psi, but at that pressure the car handled terribly and basically rode on the sidewalls during hard cornering. They had to halt testing at (IIRC) ?32? psi due to excessive sidewall flex that threatened to result in rim-to-pavement contact.)

[Had to edit this, had misremembered which PSI was dangerous. Sorry, it`s been a while..]
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long do car tires last?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ... OR travel in the US over the Rocky Mountain passes during snow events require such tires on a vehicle or chains.)....
    Met this one with a smile. I`ve seen it in Colorado. During a snow storm. Requiring chains or snow tires. If I remember right...they allowed 4 wheel drive also. In place of snow tires or chains. Usually doesn`t last long. Could just spend the night in one of those inexpensive ( ) ski resorts. Colorado does a great job of maintenance at even 10k feet in the middle of a storm on that freeway. Got to hand it to them.

On the other hand. You`re better off going through Colorado, at 10k feet, in the middle of a blizzard. Than you are driving through Wyoming on the nicest winter day. The reason? Wyoming doesn`t plow their roads. It`s ludicrous. Drive in Wyoming during winter? Get the meanest studded winter tires you can possibly find. I`m not joking.
    Yes, I can attest that I have actually seen a Wyoming snow plow. Now where they use it? Don`t ask me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information