Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine bay chrome- Need some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Vega@Autopia View Post
    For best results I think you`ll need an assortment of tools and products.

If the metal scratches and swirls aren`t too bad, I always end up reaching for Optimum Metal Polish. It`s a medium-light cut that finishes down really nice.

You can get really good results by hand, I like the Lake Country Eurofoam applicators. Just make sure to constantly shake whatever product you end up using. I find the solid abrasive separate from the detergents pretty quickly on most metal polishes. Work in SMALL areas for best results.

It`s easy to try and tackle the entire manifold at once, but you`ll get better results by working in small sections.

If after using the least aggressive method first (finishing metal polish + hand applicator) you still notice deeper scratches, then you`ll need to use a Metal Compound with a wool pad or wool ball first. If it`s really bad, you can always wet sand first. But it doesn`t look like you`ll need to do that.

Source: Engine Detail on a 97 Civic (multiple product Rayviews)

I like having the BLACKFIRE or Wolfgang Aluminum Polishing System on hand so I`m ready to tackle aluminum in any condition.

p.s. you might see the BF aluminum metal polishing system on Vega Deals soon also Optimum Metal Polish works on chrome too.
    Ray I have been eyeing that kit for MONTHS and MONTHS but I know I have to have enough stuff on hand to get the job done....or at least hope so..i ordered some more finger pockets today so I can have engine duty only ones

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

what do I put on it once its done thought?

PBL wheel coating?
    PBL coating booster?
    PB wheel sealant?
    Optiseal?

im also reserving the option to use blackhole and a sealant and call it a day and see how long that holds up (really just need it to last through his show season and he`ll be happy)

no idea what to quote him, but i`m sure he`ll get a ridiculous deal

I figure it will take 4 hours at least to hand polish and seal (could be totally wrong- probably am)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I need to get some finger pockets. I`ve got some chrome that needs polishing too. Thanks. Mo money, mo money.

Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Aluminum Polishing Kit FREE BONUS!

so tempting

connect discounts make it cheaper

payday is Thursday- if its still there- gonna be an even tougher decision

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    what do I put on it once its done thought?

PBL wheel coating?
    PBL coating booster?
    PB wheel sealant?
    Optiseal?
    You can`t go wrong with either of these. I would think PBL wheel coating would handle the heat better. I would think PB wheel sealant and opti-seal would be close.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You can`t go wrong with either of these. I would think PBL wheel coating would handle the heat better. I would think PB wheel sealant and opti-seal would be close.
    Thanks

Im looking at pbl wheel coating since i have a lot of it But it is over 2 years since opened.

Does that mean its bad?

It has no expiration date on it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s probably ok. Nick over on Autogeek mentioned that McKee`s paint coating has a 10 year shelf life. So I would say you are good to go with PBL wheel coating.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I read good things about optimum metal polish.

Post up pics whichever product you use.
    OMP would be my choice for chrome. The other is Simichrome (sold at Harley-Davidson dealers)
    If it`s polished aluminum, use Mother`s Billet Polish. Expensive, but far better than OTC Mother`s Mag and Aluminum Wheel polish. Second choice would be White Diamond Metal Polish.

One thing about chrome is that it can be scratched with the wrong polish and cloth use, especially on chromed plastic. Chromed metal, if it`s done correctly, is extremely hard, BUT, care must still be taken. I use chamois-like microfiber for metal polish removal. Yes, they will get black and quite dirty-looking. One thing I would not use is cotton terry-cloth or old bath towels. Yes, they are cheap and disposable, but it`s not worth the risk of scratching chrome.

In a pinch, Meg`s M105 and M205 can be used for chrome cleaning. I think Autopian Scottwax suggested using these.

A chrome shop told me that chrome needs to "breath", so do NOT wax or seal it. Use only chrome cleaners or polish. Now whether that`s a "wife`s tale" or not, I don`t know, but this did come from a chrome shop that does a lot of show chrome. I wish other Autopian`s would chime in on this.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I use simichrome alot at work and have used it on a Harley I repainted about a year ago and personally I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    One thing I would not use is cotton terry-cloth or old bath towels. Yes, they are cheap and disposable, but it`s not worth the risk of scratching chrome.

A chrome shop told me that chrome needs to "breath", so do NOT wax or seal it. Use only chrome cleaners or polish. Now whether that`s a "wife`s tale" or not, I don`t know, but this did come from a chrome shop that does a lot of show chrome. I wish other Autopian`s would chime in on this.
    lol. id never try to use a bath towel....but thanks for the heads up

as far as chrome breathing. I have no idea. I`ve been waxing and sealing `chrome` for years with no known issues so who knows- I`m not going to stop waxing or sealing chrome anytime soon until I see some solid empirical data showing me otherwise- or a plausible scientific explanation as to the negative effects

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ..One thing about chrome is that it can be scratched with the wrong polish and cloth use, especially on chromed plastic...
    That "chromed plastic" is an aluminum-based coating and rather fragile IME.

..In a pinch, Meg`s M105 and M205 can be used for chrome cleaning...
    Those have worked well for me. I did the chromed wheel spokes/rims on a pal`s Jag and he thought they looked better than when he had them refinished! (Not really possible IMO, but it was nice to hear.)

I can`t see how that can be true. The Chrome is literally layers of chromium, over top of layers of "base coating" metal, over top of the underlying metal that the part is made out of. Unless compromised, I`d expect those layers of plating to be relatively impermeable (not completely- look at how even uncompromised chrome-plated stuff can "blister"/corrode if exposed to salt) and I don`t want moisture/etc. can get "breathed in" and cause issues. That`s why I LSP mine- to keep moisture/etc. from attacking the stuff underneath the chrome.

(Note all the "I`d expect.." disclaimers as I`m sure no expert on chrome plating.)

FWIW, I`ve been waxing the chrome on my Jag since it was new (31 years now) with zero issues at all.

Many/most Chrome Polishes are abrasive, and even though Chromium is pretty hard stuff y`all know how I feel about unnecessary abrasion

Post Thanks / Like

I actually got the idea to wax chrome from a rap song when i was in high school, lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to argue, and I`m sure there are a lot of variables that could make "!YMMV!" apply, but regarding Chrome and Cotton-

While I`m all for erring on the side of caution, I don`t see how (decent quality) cotton could mar (most) chrome. I seldom had it happen when I used cotton (for all those decades before MF) except when I inadvertently rubbed some abrasive [contamination] against the chrome. And I have some cotton towels that are softer than some of my MFs (note all those various disclaimers!).

On paint, sure... in many instances cotton can mar many autopaints (note all those "..many.." disclaimers!). But chromium is hard stuff, I`ve even scrubbed chrome plating with *brass* without marring it (and once checked under magnification just to satisfy my curiosity).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information