Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a tire protectant without the shine

The (exposed) tread gives me pause- gotta treat/coat that for it to look OK, but then that [stuff] is on your contact patch should the
    spare be used...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    303 Aerospace.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I agree, this is the only one I know that offers real UV protection`

Post Thanks / Like

303 just doesn`t last long on an exposed surface. Turtle Wax used to make a great tire coating (not the one in the spray can). It lasted for months in the rain and it was not too shiny. If you can find it, Tac Systems makes a great tire coating that is not shiny at all and is long lasting. I use it but actually like my tires to have a medium shine like the Turtle Wax gives.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless a vehicle is parked outside 24/7 or there`s some other extreme environmental factor, I question whether superb UV protection is all that necessary. I parked vehicles outside 24/7 for years and never had any problems with the tires/exterior rubber going bad and I wasn`t using anything UV-protection-centric on such stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Duragloss 531

Dave

That stuff is awesome. But I love the 265 as well. It even works well on my wheels. Beautiful clean look on them. On the tires I have a nice Matte finish which I love. But around my area both products are becoming hard to fine. Lots of places will carry them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang WETS Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, I started using this on my Camaro tires (its expensive but a tiny bit goes a long ways) and I love the look not shiny but darkens and leaves it looking rich or nourished hard to explain but I love it. Its my favorite for my car and trucks exterior plastics for my boat seats and trim. going to start using it on daily drivers tires to see how long it lasts.

Edit: also may test on my trucks driver seat, I been using Wolfgang interior sealant but WETS seems to hold up better to abrasion and my driver seat seems to wear off the interior stuff kinda quick from my large posterior sliding in and out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think JBM nailed it...I don`t think many of these tire dressings offer any kind of protection and if they do it`s very short lived. A cover is your best bet, otherwise I would go with the 303 Aerospace protectant. Tires are also meant to be driven on and without it, the tires aren`t able to archive the blooming process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I think JBM nailed it...I don`t think many of these tire dressings offer any kind of protection and if they do it`s very short lived. A cover is your best bet, otherwise I would go with the 303 Aerospace protectant. Tires are also meant to be driven on and without it, the tires aren`t able to archive the blooming process.
    RaskyR1 hit on some thing about tire "blooming". This is that "brown stuff" that every detailer sees when washing tires with an APC or degreaser to clean them. It happens because the ozone in the air reacts with chemicals compounds/agents in the tire specifically designed to prevent cracking and aging of the rubber, as ozone and heat will deteriorate rubber compounds over the life of the tire. It is not caused by tire dressings or brake dust! That said, dirt and brake dust will adhere (cling) to greasy-type dressings (AKA, silicone) and they will appear brown or dirty.
    Anti-ozone compounds in tires take two things to work there way to the tire surface; tire air pressure and heat. You can find that a new unmounted tire that has sat in a garage or store for a while will NOT be brown because there is no tire pressure INSIDE the tire to force out this anti-ozone compound out nor has it been driven, and hence, subjected to heat generated from normal vehicle tire motion (braking, cornering, towing or hauling weight overloading, or high-speed travel).

The OP is concerned about UV- induced damage to the exterior rear-mounted spare tire, but ozone and heat are (much) more detrimental to a tire than UV. Will a tire dressing/shine help "protect" a tire from aging and cracking??? That`s a subject of debate here, but tire manufacturers have already "engineered" this into today`s modern tires. Making them "look" new is really what tire dressings are all about and I am of the opinion that "neutral or matte finish" is more desirable for a tire`s appearance.

I use Aerospace 303 myself on tires because it does look matte and it`s what I have available to me OTC and it`s relatively inexpensive, BUT it will wash off in the rain AND it will streak onto paint. (I know from using it on truck bed tonneau covers, it WILL streak onto the sides after a rain, even if you buff it off). Just food for thought if the OP wishes to forgo using a tire cover and uses 303 and can live with streaking on the rear tailgate or bumper after a rain. That may be true for any water-based dressing.
    GB detailer
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TuffShine

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Perl mixed 4:1 or 5:1. The `R` in the name is for rubber. A 4 or 5 to one concentration won`t give you any shine at all, just a really nice matte finish, probably what you`re suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a tire protectant without the shine

Can you still get 3M Tyre Restorer?

I recall that looked like fresh rubber after an hour or so... goes on Satin but don`t worry it dries to a fresh rubber finish. No gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    --Tosh

Post Thanks / Like

For a tire that`s exposed 24/7, like alldunns spare, I have to second BudgetPlan1.

I`ve been using Tuf Shine for most of the year.

It`s an Excellent UV barrier and dries without any kind of oily or sticky residue.

I reapply every 6 weeks to 2 months. It Lasts.

From what I`ve seen,once you completely clean your tire with an APC, Tuf Shine keeps the tire black without any blooming.

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 531

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information