Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New shoes what to dress with and method of application?

I never wait (for the Release Agent, or anything else, to dissipate), heh heh it can sometimes take a *LONG* time for me got get 500 miles on something! Mold-release stuff cleans off with a little work and the right stuff, and that`ll clean off any mounting-product that the installers used too.

I clean the tires with Griot`s Rubber Prep and dress them as soon as I get the tires mounted (good time to do the wheels too).

Yeah, FK1000P was developed as a mold-release product, and also as a competitor to M16 (Floyd Meguiar`s way of sticking it to the family business).
    Likes TuxedoTaurus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I never wait (for the Release Agent, or anything else, to dissipate), heh heh it can sometimes take a *LONG* time for me got get 500 miles on something! Mold-release stuff cleans off with a little work and the right stuff, and that`ll clean off any mounting-product that the installers used too.

I clean the tires with Griot`s Rubber Prep and dress them as soon as I get the tires mounted (good time to do the wheels too).

Yeah, FK1000P was developed as a mold-release product, and also as a competitor to M16 (Floyd Meguiar`s way of sticking it to the family business).
    Then there is always the tarminator method as well
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dressing I won`t wait, but coating I will.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I never even thought of tarminator.

Maybe two apps of that and two or three rounds of Tuff Shine cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody`s probably gonna say something cautionary about using a petro-solvent on tires. I`m not all that paranoid about the approach, but when it comes to cleaning rubber I really am all about that Griot`s Rubber Prep, something I believe *EVERY* Autopian oughta have on the shelf.

Gotta say that those tires would drive me nuts, I simply hate dressing most tires anyhow, and that particular model really looks like a PIA to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody`s probably gonna say something cautionary about using a petro-solvent on tires.
    That`s why at first I didn`t suggest it. kinda scares me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody`s probably gonna say something cautionary about using a petro-solvent on tires. I`m not all that paranoid about the approach, but when it comes to cleaning rubber I really am all about that Griot`s Rubber Prep, something I believe *EVERY* Autopian oughta have on the shelf.

Gotta say that those tires would drive me nuts, I simply hate dressing most tires anyhow, and that particular model really looks like a PIA to do.
    I will check out the GG product. They are easy with a paint gun delivery method.

As far as petro-solvent goes initial app on a new tire I`m not worried about it. On aged tires I would not consider.

Post Thanks / Like

<------- paranoid
    Likes TuxedoTaurus liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you already have Tuff Shine and you know how good it is and how long it will last on properly cleaned rubber, why not put it in a spray bottle and then you can get all those big blocks really nice...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Since you already have Tuff Shine and you know how good it is and how long it will last on properly cleaned rubber, why not put it in a spray bottle and then you can get all those big blocks really nice...
    Dan F
    The only thing is I really don`t care for the look of it on larger tires, it is just an OK look to me. It is awesome on car tires. It just doesn`t seem to give the deep rich look on the large tires.

The only benefit is easier maintenance. I am not one to sacrifice ease of care for look. Hence majority of my vehicle ownership has been black vehicles.

Thanks kwise1258 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing for 500+ miles till release agent wears off, then clean really and coat em?
    I would wait as well before you coat them. I had issues with my new tires when I coated them with DP Tire Coating the first time. I ended up removing the tire coating and did weekly cleaning for a couple months. This included not using any tire dressings over that time. I had no issues with coating them after that.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would wait as well before you coat them. I had issues with my new tires when I coated them with DP Tire Coating the first time. I ended up removing the tire coating and did weekly cleaning for a couple months. This included not using any tire dressings over that time. I had no issues with coating them after that.
    It would kill me to wait and dress these tires. I would get annoyed waiting a month or two. I would Opti them now if it wasn`t raining.

The coating will be done to the insides in a couple months

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing and coating all terrain tires? I don`t get it. You want the tires to shine in the woods or the desert hills? A city Lexus.......I can see that.

Spray on. You get a more thorough coating that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information