Post Thanks / Like

cleaning tires - rims plasti-dipped

So I`ve checked out a bunch of threads on how to clean plasti-dipped rims. Have my first detail in with PD. I think I am just going to go the IronX route to clean them and use my carrand body brush with the soft flagged bristles on the outer rim. Doesn`t look like the barrels are PD`d, so I will probably use the Daytona on those being careful not to scrub to hard at the lip where the face meets the barrel.

One quick question before my main question - anyone tried DUB wheel cleaner on PD rims?

Main question: I usually clean tires with D101 @ 1:1 and a tuf shine tire brush. Inevitably, the APC will get on the rims as I spray down the tires. Will D101 at this dilution harm the PD? I will certainly be careful with the TS brush close to the rim. If the D101 is a bad idea, how do you guys clean tires properly that are on PD rims?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning tires - rims plasti-dipped

I`ve only done one set of dipped rims and I didn`t end up using APC like I planned. However, I got Bleche-Wite on them and it did no harm. Actually ended using it to clean some of the heavier gunk off the rims.

I do not endorse this method. Proceed at your own risk.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the bump, I`m doing the wheels/tires later today, so hoping for some additional input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Sorry for the bump, I`m doing the wheels/tires later today, so hoping for some additional input.
    I don`t have time to do a full rim experiment but... I mixed up a couple ounces at approximately 1:1 (probably a little stronger), took my tire brush (not a tuff shine but it`s the stiffest brush I have), and tested a little spot just for you. Okay, okay, I`ve been wondering how strong the APC can be mixed too.

I didn`t apply excessive amounts of force but about the same I would normally apply cleaning wheels. I saw no discoloration (except the dressing was removed) and no damage from D101 at 1:1 or the brush. Camera is dead right now so no pictures but I hope it helps.

Just an idea....

If you`re worried, why not wet the rim and/or use a weaker dilution for the wheels? A small spray bottle at 1:10 or 1:4 wouldn`t be too much to tote around and would allow you to err on the side of caution. If you wet the rim it will dilute whatever gets on it a good bit anyway, so that may work too.

Best of luck.

NOTE: They`re my brother`s rims and I did get permission before experimenting. I`m not that bad of a brother.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Post Thanks / Like

Send Glen E a pm and hope it goes to his email and he answers.

He dipped wheels a while back
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes wdmaccord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    I don`t have time to do a full rim experiment but... I mixed up a couple ounces at approximately 1:1 (probably a little stronger), took my tire brush (not a tuff shine but it`s the stiffest brush I have), and tested a little spot just for you. Okay, okay, I`ve been wondering how strong the APC can be mixed too.

I didn`t apply excessive amounts of force but about the same I would normally apply cleaning wheels. I saw no discoloration (except the dressing was removed) and no damage from D101 at 1:1 or the brush. Camera is dead right now so no pictures but I hope it helps.

Just an idea....

If you`re worried, why not wet the rim and/or use a weaker dilution for the wheels? A small spray bottle at 1:10 or 1:4 wouldn`t be too much to tote around and would allow you to err on the side of caution. If you wet the rim it will dilute whatever gets on it a good bit anyway, so that may work too.

Best of luck.

NOTE: They`re my brother`s rims and I did get permission before experimenting. I`m not that bad of a brother.
    Thank you! If you really did that just for me, I greatly appreciate the feedback. yes, the rims will be wet, as I will clean those first, then do the tires, so that is a good point.

Post Thanks / Like

cleaning tires - rims plasti-dipped

You motivated me to do something I already meant to do. So, thank you.

Another word of caution:
    A lot of dipped wheels are DIY jobs. You have no clue or indication as to how well proper procedures for prep and application were followed. I would advise the least aggressive method needed.

Also, forgot to mention... Be careful around the edges. I didn`t have a problem but sometimes they`re thin or otherwise no finished right and it can start peeling on you (or so I`ve heard).

EDIT: I should`ve tried the dub. Why didn`t i do that?

Thread Information