Post Thanks / Like

Can I protect adjustible shocks with LSP?

So... I recently purchased some adjustable coil overs to lower and improve handling for my 09 Jeep SRT8. The coil overs are threaded and have multiple adjustments (spring preload, damping, hight). I`d like to protect the shocks with something I have and possibly follow up with a coating (if necessary).

FYI: My last set of adjustable shocks didn`t make it through their first winter and the manufacturer claims it`s because dirt got into the seal and I didn`t properly maintain them (I wheels off detailed twice last year, apparently that isn`t good enough).

LSP`s I currently have:

• FK-1000p
    • Klasse twins (KAIO & KSG)
    • Collinite 845
    • Blackfire Wet Diamond
    • Blackfire Midnight Sun

*Looks are a non-issue as the shocks won`t be visible for the most part and protection is paramount.

Can I protect my shocks with LSP?

If so:

• Out of the products I currently own (listed above) what would you recommend to protect the shocks?
    • Out of the products you know what would you recommend to protect the shocks?

If not:

• What would you recommend to ensure longevity?

Note: I plan to clean the shocks before I make any adjustments.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I protect adjustible shocks with LSP?

4u2nvinmtl- IMO something`s better than nothing, but if you drive it in the winter parts like the shocks simply won`t stay perfect.

I`d buy some KBS Diamond Finish and go over the areas that you can (don`t want to "paint the adjustments permanent") with that and LSP the areas that`re left with either many layers of KSG (probably best) or FK1000P.

Seriously, I`d spend the money for the Diamond Finish, yeah it`s *that* special. Last time I did shocks I cleared the bright bits (silver cad plating I presume) with it for this exact reason. FWIW, I also touched up some chips on the shock bodies with KBS Rust Seal. Should`ve used the Diamond Finish on my Tahoe`s shocks when I replaced them...after lots of winter use they`re nasty with (cosmetic surface) rust.

Dufing the winter, I`d sure find some way to rinse/clean the salt off. This whole topic is why I do my undercarriages thoroughly at every wash. Those parts that "don`t show" probably take me twice as long as the 905 of the car that you can see! But even then I simply don`t drive my good stuff in the winter any more as I can`t find any way to avoid some degree of corrosion-related trouble (even if it`s just minor cosmetic stuff). No way you could buy a beater and park the SRT during the winter? I mean..I don`t drive my S8 Quattro in the salt, and besides being AWD (and I have a set of winter wheels with snows for it too), it`s even aluminum! But one winter`s use did things that I sure don`t want getting any worse so I park it when it`s salty out.

BTW, regarding that failure of your last set of shocks..that explanation sounds like BS to me. Some shocks simply don`t last in remotely normal street use and the manufacturers find all sorts of excuses..like the one they told you about the dirt penetrating the seals. A lot of aftermarket coilover systems seem to fail in the real world. Hope the new set holds up.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I built a competition M3 the had Komi adjustable shocks and you bet I waxed those bad boys. That was a long time ago. I also coated the suspension on the jeep I posted recently. Used EXO. The same as the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use some sort of anti corrosion spray rather than a sealant.

Thread Information