Post Thanks / Like

Griots polishers

I have a Griots BOSS G15 and a G8 Mini up for trade. Looking for a Flex XCE 8-125 and / or PXE 80 12-EC. I used the G15 for about 4 vehicles, the G8 has never been used.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots polishers

how do you like the G15? apparently theyre backed up right now. been waiting on mine over a month now. another month to go

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnibor View Post
    how do you like the G15? apparently theyre backed up right now. been waiting on mine over a month now. another month to go

Only reason they backed up is the issue with the fanned backingplates comming apart. They`re redesigning it..but you always just install a mark II style plate

Post Thanks / Like

I used it on 5 vehicles with no problems. I upgraded from the original 6” griots, so I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

i told them ive already purchased the backing plate, just send me the polisher without it but they wouldnt do it. makes me think theres more to it than just a backing plate

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, the backing plate is part of the cooling system. It is not an interchangeable plate. Specific to the new machines.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Only reason they backed up is the issue with the fanned backing plates coming apart. They`re redesigning it..but you always just install a mark II style plate
    Anyone else heard of this problem or experienced this problem first-hand??
    This is a real concern and makes you wonder if the new G9 and its finned 6" backing plate is subject or prone to the same issue.

If anyone has received a letter from Griot`s Garage about this or an advisement not to use their Boss G15 until they have received a re-designed backing plate to replace an early designed plate (and now assumed to be defective), let us know.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I think there`s a thread on Autogeek that has someone`s email about it - I`ll try and find it.

The G9`s cooling is apparently built into the counter weight, not the backing plate. The longer throw of the G15 and G21 made it so they integrated it into the backing plate instead.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, somebody please school me: What 15mm GG unit is the problematic backing plate on?

I have the older BOSS15 (still unused). Is that one that needs upgrading or is it good-to-go?

Post Thanks / Like

The BOSS 15 and 21 machines are fine, it`s the newest G15 and G21 machines (G9 styling w/ above shroud grip, detachable cord) that have the backing plate issue.

Accumulator - you`re good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    OK, somebody please school me: What 15mm GG unit is the problematic backing plate on?

I have the older BOSS15 (still unused). Is that one that needs upgrading or is it good-to-go?
    What you have is a great problem free machine. Lots of power to plow through and low vibration. I think the new machines are called G15 and the old Boss G15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Could probably sell it for a pretty penny with all the problems with the new ones

Post Thanks / Like

to the Original Poster sfckelley:
    What would make you want a Flex XFC 8-125 over a Griot`s Garage G15 (I assume the new model since the word "BOSS" did not appear before it to designate the "old" model) other than it is a cordless polisher?
    The Flex PXE 80 12-EC, also being cordless, would replace the Griot`s Garage G8 "mini", I assume.
    Are you a professional detailer looking to go mobile or just a hobbyist who wants to " be un-tethered and cut the electrical cord"??
    Those two Flex polishers represent quite a monetary investment for detailing and, hence I can understand WHY you need to sell and recoup some of your initial investment in the Griot`s Garage polishers.

On a completely different note, I wish Griot`s Garage would add the V1 and V2 designations to their BOSS G21 and BOSS G15 polishers, to differentiate between the old and new designs, respectively, rather than just dropping the BOSS designation/title from the new design. Seems confusing to me. Or just G15-V1 or G15-V2; at least I know what is old and what is new.
    With the redesigned finned backing plate, it would become G15-V2R1 (for revision 1). That is how we designated "revisions" in engineering for part numbers of parts. Also, if the R1 backing plate should NOT be used on the V1 polisher, either make it so it does not fit a V1 polisher OR apply a Warning Label to it stating that fact, although I doubt that it will NOT be and SHOULD fit both V1 and V2 polishers
    I assume, however, that the "defective" backing plates (RO, for Revision Zero or Original) will be replaced with a re-designed plate (R1) to all those who bought the NEWER (V2) polisher so supplied with the former. I would also hope that some designation will be added to the re-signed plate to let everyone know what plate (R0 or R1) is on the V2 polisher if it ever is resold to a subsequent owner. Seems like a good idea to avoid any liability litigation. (Captain Obvious, the lawyer)

More confusion: so the backing plate from a G9 is "different" than the backing plate on the G15 and G21 and is not interchangeable between them OR do all Griot`s Garage backing plates "fit" both the G9 AND the G15 & G21 (IE, they ARE interchangeable)?? (See Post #6 above from Mike lambert, Captain Confused!!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    The BOSS 15 and 21 machines are fine...Accumulator - you`re good to go.
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny
    What you have is a great problem free machine.
    Thanks for the good news

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    Could probably sell it for a pretty penny with all the problems with the new ones
    Heh heh, it might still be unused when they hold the Estate Sale at the rate I`m going!

Post Thanks / Like

No longer available, the polishers have been sold.

Thread Information