Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 and 3403

Interested in moving both of them and replacing with another rotary- something with lower speeds and a soft start.

3401 was purchased in June and only used 5-6 times. 3403 in September, and only used twice. There`s a little polish splatter on the 3401 to clean up but they`re both in excellent shape. 3401 has the factory backing plate and the 4 3/8 plate.

Curious on offers. Would like to be able to get a PE14 or a Dewalt 849x and some Rupes pads and such to go with my R15.

no hurry but after getting a Rupes I don`t see much need for the 3401 anymore and would like a more fully featured rotary to be able to operate with just 2 polishers instead of 3.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 and 3403

jrock645 -

Glad to read that you are looking to get a Rotary..

If it was me, I would get the bigger Dewalt or Makita which is what I have had for years..

All you need with the machine is to get this -- Buff and Shine Rotary Backing Plate Extension
    with the Rotary and you will be able to do about anything, and the machine wont get in the way in those tight places, and with a smaller plate and pad, down to what - 2 inches now or even 1 inch, you are capable of doing anything..

I prefer the 10lb Makita over the lighter Flex machine which I have but never use because it makes too much gear noise and its too light, and doesnt spin to 3,000 rpm like the Makita..

Now mind you, I dont Ever use 3,000 rpm for Anything except spin drying just washed and rinsed pads, but its nice to know I have the power to do it..

I tried to fit the lighter Flex machine in my routine but it was just too little and light for my liking.. A capable machine I am sure (heck, its a Flex!), but I want to be able to use the additional weight and downward pressure to get the correction out of the way quickly..

If you are not doing this for a living, then your needs can be much different than mine..

Good luck with your sale !
    Dan F
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks jrock645 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jrock

As an owner of seven rotaries, Ive had some experience in this area
    Most of the european machines have straight cut gears I believe and thus are noisier than the angle cut Makita
    I do like low speed rotary tools and I have the best one ever made IMHO, the now discontinued Fein WPO 14-15XE at 200-1500 rpm

features touchpads not a trigger and is extremely light but still 1200 watts power like the makita and beautifully balanced with superior cooling and almost zero vibration. can run at 350-600 all day long.

unlike the festool shinex which I also have, it can handle up to 220 millimetre pads and the carbon brushes are only ten dollars each
    As for Flex machines, there are some real beauties in their lineup not just automotive polishers either

Ultimately you need to match what you want in terms of specs to the machine
    I bought the Fein as I wanted to step into ultra low speed rotary paint enhancement and perfecting.

chances of hologramming at those speeds are very very low.
    The buffing pad aficionado

Post Thanks / Like

Im not a pro, but after using a totary, i love it! Gotta love that smoothness and of course that fast correcting power. I am hoping to start getting some paid detail opportunities- its something i really enjoy doing, serves as my zen time and satisfies my perfectionist gene. Cant polish my own car every week, so may as well try to polish someone else`s.

i think the dewalt would be a great value and suit my needs just fine. Those low speed ones you mentioned would be great but probably too much for me to justify spending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Im not a pro, but after using a totary, i love it! Gotta love that smoothness and of course that fast correcting power. I am hoping to start getting some paid detail opportunities- its something i really enjoy doing, serves as my zen time and satisfies my perfectionist gene. Cant polish my own car every week, so may as well try to polish someone else`s.

i think the dewalt would be a great value and suit my needs just fine. Those low speed ones you mentioned would be great but probably too much for me to justify spending.
    I totally relate to what you have said regarding the smoothness and fast correcting power..
    Hope you get more jobs and continue to learn all about it - its not really hard to use in my experience..

The Dewalt 849X has soft start at 0 rpm, so it would be a great choice too.. I believe you can find this machine on Amazon as well as Ebay...
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen the dewalt on amazon for 179 shipped. Already spoke to ray about price matching for when i get around to pulling the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Dewalt 849X

Excellent machine! The 849X is also on my list to get for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I read about rotaries, the more I`m unsure about what to get. Many hate the 849 because it`s loud? Guess that has me leaning to the PE14. I`ll be listing the 01 and 03 on eBay tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

What dont you like about the Makita 9227C then ?

I have used one exclusively for over 10 years and it has been perfect...
    Its very smooth, not that loud compared to the Flex machine, and just kills defects in paint without a complaint ever...

I like the weight of it just fine and it will build up your forearms, arms, shoulders, etc., too if you use it all the time..
    Good luck with your research and sales !
    Dan F
    Likes tropicsteve, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    What dont you like about the Makita 9227C then ?

I have used one exclusively for over 10 years and it has been perfect...
    Its very smooth, not that loud compared to the Flex machine, and just kills defects in paint without a complaint ever...

I like the weight of it just fine and it will build up your forearms, arms, shoulders, etc., too if you use it all the time..
    Good luck with your research and sales !
    Dan F

Great suggestions. Just something about Flex I really dig. My German heritage, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody like the Milwaukee polishers?
    I was looking at them and also the Fein.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    Milwaukee is supposed to make pretty good stuff. Just heard their polisher is built like a tank and is extremely heavy. Not the worst thing, if you can handle the weight.

Somebody up top mentioned Fein. Supposed to be amazing, but prepare yourself for the price tag. Massive.
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got them cleaned up today and took new pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Milwaukee is supposed to make pretty good stuff. Just heard their polisher is built like a tank and is extremely heavy. Not the worst thing, if you can handle the weight.

Somebody up top mentioned Fein. Supposed to be amazing, but prepare yourself for the price tag. Massive.
    Yes, I know that the Fein has a hefty price tag. I got an in tho. Use to any way. I use a snap on polisher now. Not to bad weight wise, guess it isn`t too bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    I had a Milwaukee 5540 bought in the early 90s. Sold it years ago after I picked it up from storage and knew it was just too heavy for me anymore. I wasn`t into detailing much either.
    But now I own the Makita 9237. I like the slow start and it`s definitely much lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information