Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a set of Dunlop M3 run flat snow tires they are the best I ever had they are Quiet and handle like a summer tire they are H rated so can get some speed on them check em out ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec, At the risk of further complicating your decision there is another factor, which may or may not apply to your friend`s car, that you should know about: When I went to buy my winter tires, from The Tire Rack, I had decided on the Blizzaks--a no-brainer I thought. But I was also buying summer tires and new wheels, so I called Luke at TTR, and he told me absolutely NOT to get the Blizzaks for my car.

As it turns out, my car (Mercedes S-500), like many cars today, is equipped w/ an Electronic Stability Program (ESP), which can bring the car to a stop when Blizzak tires start to spin on slick roads. The system apparently "thinks" the car is out of control. He said my car would "hate" Blizzaks, and recommended I get the less expensive, but more effective on my car, Micheline X-Ice--which I did. I have them mounted on my OEM 16" wheels and have not put them on my car yet, so cannot report on preformance.

This may not apply to your friend`s car, but I`ll bet a lot of people reading these threads will find it useful to know. This is something I have not seen mentioned in any of these posts to date.

Good luck and let us know what you, and she, decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliita RSi`s from a local chain (STS). I thought she would be better off starting with a studless snow and ice tire, and if it`s too mushy, etc., she`ll know that for the next time, and consider a more performance oriented tire. It came down to the Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, or the Hakka RSi...one of the deciding factors for me was that the Hakka has an R speed rating vs. Q for the others. My friend liked the name...so Nokians it was. Should have them installed on her factory steelies early next week and I`ll report back on what she says. And yes, the Hakka`s were much more expensive than the Blizzaks or X-Ice.

The other cool news was that we found a great ebay deal on the factory aluminum wheels for her car (1" bigger than the steelies), so now we get to go through this tire picking excercise again in the spring for summer or all-season tires!

Post Thanks / Like
    just get some studded snow tires and call it good... :LOLOL ...I really have no contribution to this thread sorry...

-Justin
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Well, we ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliita RSi`s from a local chain (STS). I thought she would be better off starting with a studless snow and ice tire, and if it`s too mushy, etc., she`ll know that for the next time, and consider a more performance oriented tire. It came down to the Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, or the Hakka RSi...

Bah! No Dunlop M3s? Sheesh...

I`m sure she`ll love any snow tire though, they are in a whole `nother category compared to all-seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy

The other cool news was that we found a great ebay deal on the factory aluminum wheels for her car (1" bigger than the steelies), so now we get to go through this tire picking excercise again in the spring for summer or all-season tires!

SUMMER TIRES! You`ve got a set of snow tires, so why get the compromising all-seasons again? Summer tires are superior to all-seasons almost to the extent that snow tires are.

Make sure to clean up those wheels and seal them when you get them.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Anxious to hear how those Hakka`s preform...

For summer, I recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3`s. I have them on my car and really love them. Although, by March there may be whole new lines of great summer tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, while the Eagle F1s are great tires, they offer far more grip than Setec`s friend needs. There`s no way that her car could take advantage of the performance that those tires have to offer.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    LOL, while the Eagle F1s are great tires, they offer far more grip than Setec`s friend needs. There`s no way that her car could take advantage of the performance that those tires have to offer.
    Point well taken. At this point in the thread I forgot what car we were trying to "help."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max

SUMMER TIRES! You`ve got a set of snow tires, so why get the compromising all-seasons again? Summer tires are superior to all-seasons almost to the extent that snow tires are.

Well, since Jr. doesn`t change her own tires over, I don`t want her to get caught in an early/late snow storm when she doesn`t have her winter tires on. Actually been eyeing the Nokian WR`s which, while being all-season tires, actually have the severe service rating. But we`ve got a lot of time to think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez...you can run the M3s all year round, but noooooo...

That is understandable. All-seasons may be the best choice, but I still think you should look into summer tires. You`ll just have to run the snow tires until you know there won`t be any more snow.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murat
    From my point of view Vredestein is not such a good brand. If you want a decent Euro spec snow tyre, I would say "Nokian" Finnish made snow tyres from people who have their fare share of snow almost all year round...

Agree.........

NOKIAN snow tyres is my no.1 choice!

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

I’ve also tried KLEBÉR Transalp, (for SUV & Van) they’re good tyres as well……….

http://www.kleber.fr/KleberFR/front/...141755&lang=FR

Pit-lane.dk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information