Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Off Your Wax Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Don’t mistake the gritty texture in the Dodo waxes as cleaners. It’s just part of the process of pouring the wax. They have no cleaners In Them. As you spread the wax on paintwork it will smooth out like butter.
    My kinda-old M16 and 476S (oh, won`t somebody buy this stuff?!?) are like that, as is my mid-`80s jar of BHMA Wood Wax/Zymol Detail. Very granular until you start working them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The `93 with the trashed paint is Opal Mica, sorta an early version of the Ming Blue pearl. I might not mind the darkening on that one, but I do want to use up that 1ZWPS and I can`t imagine using even one tin of it.

The others are variations on silver, but they`re not marred up and what I`m using now is *perfect* for me.

My SmokeStone Crown Vic is one of those colors that can look *dramatically* different depending on the LSP/lighting. I`d just hate it end up looking darker!

But as soon as I read about that learning curve...NO WAY! The stuff I`m using now is so dead-simple that I`ll never again "struggle to master" any detailing product. For that matter, I`ve felt that way for ages; IMO there`s no need to use anything that isn`t user-friendly as there are plenty of good products that are.

Agree about the usability of the product. I think the mastering part also tends to draw us in too. I think that part of the coating craze (and a determitment) is that since there is a learning curve you get satisfaction knowing you were able to get your car to look a certain way that 99% of the population would not bother to do. In your own head makes your work seem more unique.... We all want to have that one of a kind ....insert car.

I know i fall into that trap at work, i cancoated my truck and part by my other coworkers who barely know how to wash a car and i "fee" like my car stands out and has a "special" coating. Funny enough i still like the look of wax better so its playing to a different part of my psychology . I would guess thats the same about some of these harder or more esoteric wax`s like auto balm that we cant readily get here in the states, even if harder to apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Agree about the usability of the product. I think the mastering part also tends to draw us in too. I think that part of the coating craze (and a determitment) is that since there is a learning curve..
    I hear ya, and I bet you get a lot of pleasure out of this stuff. But I`m on the other side of that particular fence, even with regard to the "in your own head" perspective, of which I`m generally skeptical (I jump right to suspecting confirmation bias). Perfect example of how different people are different and in many ways I`m different from most Autopians

Would I work harder/longer/more to make my vehicles look better than they currently do? No. I switched the `93 Audi over to FK1000P expecting it to look terrible to me (fortunately it didn`t) because the FK lasts/protects so much longer than Collinite.

Eh, the last time I posted something so Autopian-heretical GearHead1 came right out and asked why I bother with any of this stuff at all! Well, because that`s what it takes to keep my vehicles the way I want them, can`t just wave the Magic VISA Card at it the way I can with...say, ironing cotton dress shirts. But if I could....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Now the Dodo Orange Crush, I have a sample and was thinking with the citric makeup it might be usable as a cleaner wax ? Would you agree ??
    The same with the Rainforest, but because of It`s gritty feeling, might be a great cleaner wax as well ??
    So just for giggles, I tried Rainforest and Orange Crush. I would say they are *not* usable as a cleaner wax. Keep `em as a beauty wax

For comparison, here they are, on either side of the Meguiar`s White Wax (which *is* a cleaner wax).

Post Thanks / Like

Just got in the mother pure carnuba, p21s concours, bf wet ice over fire old style kit, collnite 915, the dodo sample pack of 4 soft and of 4 hard waxes...think that all I ordered. Cant believe 30ml will do 3-4 cars. That`s maybe 2 full size crew cab long bed trucks I figure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes acuRAS82, JustJesus, RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to post the whole collection - just a few uncommon ones. Both of these are neck and neck with Collinite 915:

Haven`t opened this Glasur yet - saving it for perfect summer day. Found the receipt & it`s from 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bilt-Hamber is similar to Collinite 915? I’ve only used Collinite 476s which I believe doesn’t actually contain carnauba. What color car does it look best on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The Bilt-Hamber is similar to Collinite 915? I’ve only used Collinite 476s which I believe doesn’t actually contain carnauba. What color car does it look best on?
    Finis is similar to 915. A little harder to apply and take off - but same type of deal. Prolly looks good on any color. I always think the more oil in the wax - the glossier it looks right after application - but the less time it lasts. This wax is a detergent resistant type wax - not nec a beauty wax.

The Naviwax is the real gem. Nothing else really like it. Very hydrophobic, easy application, looks glassy, & good durability. Probably the best all arounder wax I have. Only available from 1 place in the USA to best of my knowledge
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    476s has carnauba. Of course, it has polymers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my collection of paste waxes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes JustJesus, acuRAS82, craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    The Naviwax is the real gem. Nothing else really like it. Very hydrophobic, easy application, looks glassy, & good durability. Probably the best all arounder wax I have. Only available from 1 place in the USA to best of my knowledge
    I looked for Naviwax on sale based on your good info... could only find the Asian label pot on eBay (both dark and light colors).

Post Thanks / Like

Necrobump

Don`t have time anymore to use these, but I like sharing my wax fridge
    Edit- bought a lot of Meguiars #16 years ago and am hoarding it

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes bodidly22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    ... bought a lot of Meguiars #16 years ago and am hoarding it..
    Whereas I`ve finally unloaded almost all of mine! Just found a few more tins that I need to get rid of though...

Heh heh, I sure see my, uhm...accumulation...of things like LSPs in a different light these days
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information