Post Thanks / Like

Gas Cans for Product Storage

Anybody use plastic gas cans to store premixed solutions (detail spray, rinseless wash, etc.)? I`ve got 1 gallon windshield washer bottles, but after doing some back of napkin calculations, I`m not sure if I`ve got enough bottles to get me through the winter with the solutions I want available.

Gas cans are sturdy, they won`t leak, easy to pour, seal tight and any local Home Depot/Lowes will have a good selection.

Discuss

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas Cans for Product Storage

I love my Carboy`s (2.5 gallon), nothing easier to use. Only down side is they do let light in so some solutions can grow stuff (only one has done so on me so far, 1Z deep plastic cleaner).

Post Thanks / Like

Any leaking issues? I see those on US Plastics, good price. I would probably step up to the 5 gallon size. I`d have them in the basement so light wouldn`t be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think the light is the issue. Maybe it`s just the fact it`s clear, that you s ~see it~. Kinda like, for example, in my many years of diluting APC or still like WAUD/etc stuff with just regular tap water, if I don`t use a particular bottle for a looooong time, it usually develops white blobs.

I tend to just mix as needed, primarily in 24oz bottles. Don`t really do rinseless much, and nil-none QD for me though

Post Thanks / Like

My big thing is my access to Deionized water becomes more difficult once it gets below freezing and I prefer mixing with Deionized water So if I could have 5 gallons of rinseless wash flavor A, waterless wash flavor B, etc., I would be set to use my air sprayers all winter.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with translucent containers is that they let light in, and that will not just allow stuff to grow, but it will also break down some products. You won`t necessarily have a product that becomes completely unusable, but it could change its properties or the effectiveness and you may never suspect that it is due to how the product was stored. Even having product in a large, mostly empty container can cause problems due to oxidization.

If access to deionized water during the winter is the problem, I would look for a solution to that, such as storing it in a 55-gallon plastic drum for use as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting back to the initial idea, I wouldn`t store anything except fuel in fuel containers lest somebody make a mistake.

I too use translucent carboys, and can only recall one case of anything going bad- someGriot`s SpeedShine, which went bad after a *LONG* time (years and I don`t mean just two). Actually, it still worked OK after I shook shook shook it.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor gives us her Arizona tea containers - they are very thick and sturdy....so maybe a few gallons of Arnold Palmer are in your future? As a way to use up the AP, mix up some "Captain Palmer`s" with Captain Morgan`s - tastes like long island tea`s without all the work...

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t beat home depot 5gal buckets for price unless you know a painter and get his empties.

Thread Information