Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Clean Your Engine Without Risk/Damage | McKee`s 37 Engine Degreaser + Trim Detailer

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Metlow View Post
    Not selling anything, .
    You weren`t working the mckees booth at detail fest ? Not selling ? Suggesting I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Clean Your Engine Without Risk/Damage | McKee`s 37 Engine Degreaser + Trim Detailer

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I use solvents for degreasing when I don`t want to rinse.
    Please define solvents since water is a solvent and for light dust a rinseless or waterless product could work.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Please define solvents since water is a solvent and for light dust a rinseless or waterless product could work.
    Heh heh...yeah, you got me there...sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable

For "solvents" I was thinking of products ranging from 3M Adhesive Remover and PrepSol-type stuff down to the milder/safer ValuGard NewCarPrep. Products that uhm, emulsify grease/etc. and then evaporate cleanly.

Some new-to-me vehicles were so filthy under the hoods that they genuinely appeared to have been spraypainted with thick black uncercoating. Cleaned `em up bit by bit with no problems at all using those types of products on the nasty areas. And FWIW on some of these vehicles I started by scraping off handfuls of grease with a putty knife (so much on there I wasn`t worried about its blade marring anything). Got `em spic-and-span without getting anything wet (not that I`m paranoid about that, get `em wet now at every wash).

The ValuGard is about as safe-for-everything as products get. I probably wouldn`t use it on interiors but I`m sure plenty of guys do. I kinda prefer the stronger options but I know many err on the side of caution.

I guess I`d also include GG Rubber Prep here, used a lot of that on underhood rubber and plastics. Safer on things with adhesive than the 3M or NewCarPrep by far, utterly Accumulator-proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Metlow View Post
    So are you saying that the engine degreaser is not capable of removing grime that can be found on a engine? That`s what it was designed to do. I didn`t see anywhere that he said anything of that sort, what we were saying is that we thought that a degreaser maybe wasn`t following the theory to use the least aggressive method first.

Even if the engine was on the dirtier side. It is a Engine Degreaser thats what it was made to remove. Which is not what your engine had so we were wondering why you used something of the sort is all.Using a hose/pressure washer would just help flush/remove the residue that is left behind once you started agitation.

A hose and pressure washer would help in this scenario, However that is not needed to remove the dirt I would totally agree there, pressure washer would certainly be over kill for that engine completely.. The Engine Degreaser does that.

Using a waterless wash would have not removed the grime and prep the surface for Trim Detailer to properly bond to the plastics.Are you sure about that? D114 can be diluted at a panel wipe strength and from what I understand, that WOULD prep the plastic for trim detailer to bond to it.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if every one knows this, but what is "GG Rubber Prep".

Post Thanks / Like

Griots garage rubber prep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Sorry if every one knows this, but what is "GG Rubber Prep".
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman
    Griots garage rubber prep
    Right. It`s one of those products that has *really* impressed me, far more than I ever expected. IMO every detailer oughta have a bottle on the shelf. Rubber, plastics...works great for me and if it leaves anything behind it`s never caused issues as I don`t rinse/IPA/etc. afterwards but rather just apply my product of choice.
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information