Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Autopia Specialist RaysWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hearing Protection

    I picked up a set of these 3M Professional Black Hearing Protector at Home Depot for $25 last night and I highly recommend.



    I wore earbuds under these while using a Flex 3401 and Makita 9227c and the only thing I could hear was the sweet sounds of Bob Marley & the Wailers.

    I took a short break at one point and forgot to put them back on and immediately stopped to put them back on. If you plan on using a DA for more than a couple hours you should consider some form of hearing protection. It made polishing much more pleasant.
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/rayswaydetailing
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/RaysWayDetailing
    Website: www.RaysWayDetailing.com
    Likes Ronkh, Angus, mnehls86 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

  2. #2
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    27,092
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    I could use that around here, but I think Jen would catch on and get mad.......
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes mnehls86, RaskyR1, tropicsteve, Stokdgs liked this post

  3. #3
    Tpr1634's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South jersey, just not far enough south
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    I wear ear plugs all the time...............
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Kudos to you Ray for the recent PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) threads.
    Likes RaysWay, WhyteWizard liked this post

  5. #5
    AspiringProductSpecialist Angus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    3,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    I second that! Wearing those ear muffs are nice and comfortable for long stretches.

    I recently picked up an even higher NNR - 31 dB set (3M Peltor X5A Over-the-Head Earmuffs) and quickly discovered they`re not at all comfortable to wear for longer then 20-30 minutes at a time:




    The ear cushions start digging into your head and hurt! No mas!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    XxBoostinxX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,013
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    I have a set of Honeywell electric ear protectors I use when I go shoot: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Folding Earmuffs NRR 22. The cool thing about them is they cut off and protect your hearing if the sound exceeds a certain dB. I love them because I can have a conversation with someone while they are on. I haven`t tried them while polishing, but I can when I get home. They also have an auxiliary plug so you can listen to music through them also.

    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

    Likes mnehls86, Paul@Autopia, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    i use them all the time. even when mowing the yard. no problem if people think I`m crazy. some day all you will HEAR from those people is the word "huh?"
    Likes mnehls86, Stokdgs liked this post

  8. #8
    mnehls86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Ca.
    Posts
    1,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I have a set of Honeywell electric ear protectors I use when I go shoot: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Folding Earmuffs NRR 22. The cool thing about them is they cut off and protect your hearing if the sound exceeds a certain dB. I love them because I can have a conversation with someone while they are on. I haven`t tried them while polishing, but I can when I get home. They also have an auxiliary plug so you can listen to music through them also.

    I have the same one`s for shooting. Never thought about using them while polishing.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

  9. #9
    XxBoostinxX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,013
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by MooreImpressive View Post
    i use them all the time. even when mowing the yard. no problem if people think I`m crazy. some day all you will HEAR from those people is the word "huh?"
    I am already like that. Either a Dove hunt or concert ruined the hearing in my left ear. A gun went off right beside my head when we I was hunting with father at a very young age and I still think it was because of that. It drives my fiancé crazy though. I usually have to tell her to look at me when she talks.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  10. #10
    XxBoostinxX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,013
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    I have the same one`s for shooting. Never thought about using them while polishing.
    Nice, I love these things. Wouldn`t hurt to try though.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black


  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    my father in law and myself both sort of "collect" guns. basically just own a whole bunch of them and shoot them a lot. after 18 years of trying, I still have yet to convince him of the importance of wearing these headphones. he`ll stand right in front of the barn where the sounds reflects like crazy and shoot 2 AR-15`s, one in each hand, at the same time with no protection. guy`s crazy, he`s crazy I tell you.
    Likes mnehls86, XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

  12. #12
    Autopia Specialist RaysWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I am already like that. Either a Dove hunt or concert ruined the hearing in my left ear. A gun went off right beside my head when we I was hunting with father at a very young age and I still think it was because of that. It drives my fiancé crazy though. I usually have to tell her to look at me when she talks.
    My left ear is bad too. I was cleaning my ear with a Qtip one morning when I was very young and had my elbow out in a horizontal position. My brother walked in the bathroom and the door hit my elbow and it made me push the Qtip in very far (ouch). On the bright side, I was allowed to skip school that day Now anytime I go to a doctor and they examine my ear they always ask me about my left ear and I repeat this story lol. So I want to save as much of my hearing now as I can.
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/rayswaydetailing
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/RaysWayDetailing
    Website: www.RaysWayDetailing.com
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  13. #13
    mnehls86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Ca.
    Posts
    1,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by MooreImpressive View Post
    guy`s crazy, he`s crazy I tell you.
    hahaha. I could see maybe shooting a shotgun without hearing protection (I do wear it of course) but shooting an AR without any! And 2 of them!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    I recently picked up an even higher NNR - 31 dB set (3M Peltor X5A Over-the-Head Earmuffs)
    Ha, when Ray posted up that first picture, I thought to myself "hmm...those 3M`s look like a Peltor copy!" I guess 3M bought Peltor.

  15. #15
    Autopia Specialist RaysWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hearing Protection

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha, when Ray posted up that first picture, I thought to myself "hmm...those 3M`s look like a Peltor copy!" I guess 3M bought Peltor.
    Yep they even say Peltor on them below the 3M logo.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Headphones hearing protection?
    By Drsuce in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
  2. Am I the only one to wear hearing protection?
    By gregk in forum Professional Detailer General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 06:55 AM
  3. Protection?
    By gstaff7 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
  4. What is this "Bill North Method" I keep hearing about?
    By lairdness in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 01:56 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •