Thread: Epoxy Floor

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an epoxy floor installed two years ago and its great. The only problem is I didn`t go with the urathane topper (I wish I did now) which seals the color in and makes it easier to clean. My question is can I top it myself? anyone know what product to use? It`s real hard to clean because the dirt gets inside the sand surface. I appreicate any help....Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t that always the problem with the sand finish? If it`s rough enough to not slip on, it`s too rough to clean easily. I didn`t think there was a "best of both worlds" solution to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, if I topped it with Urathane that would negate the whole purpose of a sand finish, Da???? should of thought of that. thanks for waking me up. I guess I`ll have to clean it more often. Thanks, Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother cleans his epoxy coated garage with a stiff floor broom, a bucket of water with Dishwashing soap, and a hose.

The characteristics of the dishwashing make it cut grease, oil, etc. After finishing, he uses a large floor squeegee to complete the job.

He has the sand finish, but the stiff floor broom seems to get down to the paint very well.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    We have an epoxy-and-stone finish on the floor of our detailing garage. Not quite the same thing you`re discussing but it sounds pretty similar with regard to the topper.

Sand is mixed in with the topper (same as with your current epoxy) and it works fairly well on ours- not really all that different from what you have now as best I can figure. The initial bite is lessened with wear and you do have to be a little careful when the worn areas are wet, but it`s not bad at all in my experience (five years so far). It *will* be a little slicker than what you have now. It cleans up pretty well, much better than it would without the topper. I usually just toss the buckets of wash solution/rinse water on the floor and use a push broom to sweep it into the floor drain. This keeps the floor quite clean between "proper" cleanings.

I don`t know how you`d top it with the urethane yourself, but if you could find the right product it shouldn`t be all that hard. I watched them put it on ours and a) it didn`t look like a high-skill job and b) you`d almost certainly do a better job than the guys who did mine. IMO the tricky part would be getting the floor clean enough for it to stick well.

Thread Information