Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    I don`t like the idea of fumes from combusting propane or kerosene. That`s my reasoning for looking at electric heaters. If I have to turn the heater on for 20 minutes before I go out to the garage that`s not a problem.

There are almost no fumes with propane heaters. The only concern is oxygen depletion (ventless type) if they are installed in a small room. Even that is not a concern with the new ones, as they have an oxygen depletion sensor.

My son had one installed in his garage. It works great, and is much, much, much cheaper than an electric heater. The "radiant" models throw heat almost immediately.

I liked it so much, that I had one installed in our house as a "backup" heater if the power goes out (no electricity needed), or it gets extremely cold.
    D.C.T.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like the idea of fumes from combusting propane or kerosene. That`s my reasoning for looking at electric heaters. If I have to turn the heater on for 20 minutes before I go out to the garage that`s not a problem.

You`re problem isn`t going to be the 20min. wait, it`ll be that it will never warm up. A small electric unit, like you posted links to, is not going to warm even a 1-car garage much at all. Sure, it might take 10 degrees off, but what`s the point?

A torpedo heater will heat the hell out of a one car garage. Keep the garage door opened about 2" and you`ll neve smell a thing. Or, if you have an access door, leave it open a few inches. I`ve done it for years before moving to our new home where I`ll be having a forced air (vented) unit hung from the ceiling here shortly.

I just finished my wifes car (Zaino, Sonus, engine, snor tires, etc.) with a heater attachment on a propane grill tank. It took the chill off of a three car garage and didn`t stink much at all. I had a carbon monxiode tester to be sure---never went off. Though, I can`t wait for the forced air unit----it will easily warm the garage 50 degrees, if needed.

Good luck with whatever you get, but I think you`ll be happier with something other than electric.

Shumax

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the feedback guys. I always like to hear the advantages and disadvantages of every side.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    :getdown Torpedo heaters rock! I`ve had one in the garage for several years now and I simply love it. Unfortunately I`m having trouble getting kerosene at a reasonable price. (the only stuff I could find this year was 8.77 a gallon - a far cry from the 3.00 a gallon I paid last year.) Now I`m stuck with a radiant electric heater in the garage and it simply isn`t enough. I want my torpedo back! :bawling:

Post Thanks / Like

I borught a 170,000 BTU 13 Gallon Kerosene heater w/thermostat from Lowes at the end of last winter for less than half off. They sell a additive that you can put in with the Kerosene that greatly minimizes the odors/fumes and keeps the fuel fresh.

You can also get one that uses propane and just use the tank from your BBQ Grill.

It`s way overkill for a one car garage but the smaller ones which were on sale as well were all gone. But man that thing only needs to be on for about 15 mins and the whole garage goes from below freezing to about 60 degrees where I have it programmed to shut off.

I have a 15000W electric room heater and decided to try it out in the garage before buying something else and it did zip for a Western NY winter.

As far as my research went, forced air (gas/or fuel) heat spaces like sheds or garages better and cheaper than electric. I`ve seen my Electric bill from just using that electric heater in the house to supplement the home heating system

I couldn`t imagine what the bill would be for running one in an unheated space for any number of hours to get it resonably warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think 20 minutes is going to give you very much....better plan on a couple of hours to warm it up in there with the electric heater. I would have to agree the torpedo heater would be great, cheaper and faster, not sure about the setting the place on fire or the asphyxiation issues. I know we have a propane fork lift at work, and the fumes aren`t bad, but that`s a bigger space and prolly less BTU`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you don`t put anything directly in front of it (heed the warnings in the manual) nothing can catch fire.

I follow the reccmmondation from the manual and leave the garage door open two feet at bottom when it`s running. After while it will get too damn hot in there (even when it`s below 30 outside) and I just shut the heater off and close the door.

On thing to point out though is my garage is un-finished and detached from the house. If one has a garage attached to the house and/or finished (insulated walls) you might be able to get by with an electric heater.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a heater made by Oakley. It is made of cotton and goes over my head, and keeps my whole body warm. It wasn`t too expensive, and doesn`t use any electricity!! :ca :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflections
    I use a heater made by Oakley. It is made of cotton and goes over my head, and keeps my whole body warm. It wasn`t too expensive, and doesn`t use any electricity!! :ca :grinno:

Does it keep water from freezing on your car?
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Heater 35,000 BTU - $95 at Northern Tool. Looks pretty nice, more sizes there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about putting an automotive exhaust vent on your garage door and hooking the ducting up to the intake side of a torpedo heater? That should cut down on the oxygen depletion. Would carbon monoxide be an issue in this case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is a by product of the combustion of the kero wich wouldnt be vented.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah most (or all?) combustion reactions with organic materials will produce carbon monoxide.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need an RTG, Maxy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by splattj
    What about putting an automotive exhaust vent on your garage door and hooking the ducting up to the intake side of a torpedo heater? That should cut down on the oxygen depletion. Would carbon monoxide be an issue in this case?

The manual that came w/my Reddy Heater specifically says ducting is a big no no.

White95Max: You might want to look over the catalog over at Northern Tools to get an idea of what`s out there to heat what would be an otherwise unheated space.

When I move to a place with a bigger garage this Spring I`m thinking of getting some Vent Free wall mounted heaters (Propane)

I`ll be getting back into Autobosy and painting and the forced air thing could be a pain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information